What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Astra - Alternator replacement.... oil issue - Kyle Carter

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with replacing my alternator.
I have removed all bolts and connectors but came across a problem when disconnecting the last one (it's a thick rubber tube). I pulled the tube off and oil began running out of the end. I'd guess i'd had it off for no more than 5 minutes before replacing the tube and calling it a day. (it started to rain anyway )

I've dabbled with bits and bobs with cars and usually through YouTube videos and forums i can repair and replace parts, so it's not as though i'm completely useless at these things it's just that for the most part i follow what has been shown. ie. i know i need to disconnect this piece because that's what the video showed me, but it doesn't always mean i know what it is. So that being said, i'm assuming this is the oil connector. But, i only really read about small amounts of oil coming out, whereas mine was a consistent flow for up to nearly 5 minutes.

I took pictures throughout and i've labelled the pipe I THINK the oil was coming from....

I have a Vauxhall Astra sri ctdi, 05 plate, Diesel.

Please could someone advise me on what to do as i'm not sure where to go from here!

Thanks in advance

Vauxhall Astra - Alternator replacement.... oil issue - elekie&a/c doctor
I would say this is an oil return pipe, possibly from the turbo . Refit it securely and top up the engine oil. Shouldn’t be any real problem .

Ah okay great, thank you for your help

Vauxhall Astra - Alternator replacement.... oil issue - Andrew-T

Are you saying there is an oily connection to your alternator? First one I've heard of, but I'm no expert ....

Yeah i think its called the oil return pipe.

Maybe it depends on the car? I've seen YouTube videos where the alternators didn't seem to have any oil going to them.

Vauxhall Astra - Alternator replacement.... oil issue - elekie&a/c doctor

Just to clarify the situation. Some diesel engines have the brake vacuum pump attached to the rear of the alternator, driven by an extended shaft . This is the type that has an oil return pipe attached to it.

Vauxhall Astra - Alternator replacement.... oil issue - Andrew-T

Ah, thanks for that, elekie. I didn't think an alternator usually had any use for oil ....

Would it be okay then to allow the oil to spill into a pan whilst I complete the replacement? Then after check my oil levels and top up.

Thanks