What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2013 Ford Fusion - 1.6L ecoboost running on 2 cylinders - Hwoody4136

Hello, Trying to get some ideas... Replaced water pump and timing belt on my daughter's 1.6L ecoboost, 2013 Focus... Timing tools were used, procedures followed. engine starts but only runs on cylinders 3 and 4. P0301 and 0302 and random misfire codes as well as low fuel pressure codes. swapped coils, plugs etc. no change.. new fuel regulator sensor. no change. compression is 150 lbs all cylinders... No noises. I'm at a loss. Any ideas? THANK YOU.

2013 Ford Fusion - 1.6L ecoboost running on 2 cylinders - Railroad.

You have good compression on all four cylinders, but it's not firing on number 1 or 2. In that case it has to either be no spark or no fuel on those two cylinders.

You've swapped the ignition coils around, but did the non-firing cylinders remain 1 and 2, or did it change to 3 and 4? If it changed then replace the two coils. Same applies with the spark plugs.

The fuel pressure regulator is not going to be the problem, but the injectors could be. Are you sure you haven't disturbed the connectors?

Thank you... The cylinders still not firing are 1 and 2. the plugs have fuel on them. Has to be power supply to the coils... that's my thoughts... Is it possible the crank pulley could be off even though the correct tools were used?...…

2013 Ford Fusion - 1.6L ecoboost running on 2 cylinders - elekie&a/c doctor
If all the sprockets are aligned, I can’t see the crank pulley being wrong . Is the cam sensor located correctly and wiring ok?
Checking that in the morning. I’m in NY

Has to be power supply to the coils... that's my thoughts...

Check to see if you have a 12v supply on one side of the coils on cylinders 1 & 2. If not trace the wiring back to see if there's a poor connection somewhere. Then if that's all ok check each coil negative back to the ECM plug. If there's no continuity there'll be a break somewhere in the wiring. If it is ok, and the two coils aren't switching then you may have two faulty transistors inside the ECM which switch the coils.

Thank you. I’ll check it in the morning.
So.......we repositioned the crank pulley to make sure it didn’t move during installation. It’s fine... #1 and 2 not firing. Checked for 12 v. And checked for ground. Both good. Removed plugs and manually watched the fire by grounding plugs. We have fire. 1 and 2 plugs are wet with fuel. 3 and 4 are carbon ‘d up. Very sooty but those cylinders run. Changed fuel sensor from supply end. We have 70 psi from the tank fuel pump to the high pressure pump. I’m at a loss on this one. Rechecked the compression and have 170 psi. Any other ideas?

Try disconnecting number 1 and 2 fuel injectors in case they're stuck open. If you have a noid lamp place it into each injector connector in turn and crank the engine. Check to see if the lamp flashes the same on each injector.

Do you have the facility to check actual fuel rail pressure through the diagnostic system? I suspect the fuel pressure code has been flagged due to inadequate pressure. Did you disturb the fuel lines ?
Yes. High pressure fuel pump needs to be removed to install the rear camshaft locks. I don’t have a Great scanner but we did have 1400 psi in the rail.
Target fuel pressure at idle should be at least 40 bar , so what you have looks within spec. Really puzzled as to what has gone wrong .
Me too. I did have a thought and maybe someone can help. What if I have a vacuum leak? From what I have read, it seems as though a leak could cause the ECM to richen the mixture to cylinders 3 and 4. I checked the injectors and they all read the same on the ohm meter. What are your thoughts.

Edited by Hwoody4136 on 02/02/2020 at 14:59

If you have a vacuum leak the o2 sensor would be reporting a lean mixture. The ECM would respond by adding fuel until the o2 sensor reads correctly again. This process is known as Fuel Trim.

Short Term Fuel Trim is the ECM's corrective response to a rich or lean running condition in real time.

Long Term Fuel Trim is the ECM's corrective response to Short Term Fuel Trim.

This would not explain why your engine is only running on cylinders 3 & 4. You must either have no spark on the two non-firing cylinders or a loss of compression, which you said earlier was good.

Does the inlet manifold have a divide which separates cylinders 1 & 2 from 3 & 4? If so could 1 & 2 be starved of oxygen? Does the running of the engine improve or make no difference if you spray brake cleaner or something similar in the air intake? You can rule out an ignition fault if it runs on all four when you do?

One other silly question. Did you disconnect the ignition coils? And if so are you sure number 1 wiring plug isn't connected to number 2 and vice versa?

Well here is what happened. First I would like to thank all of you for your responses.
During Primary disassembly, oil, which was puddled around the injectors due to a bad cam cover gasket, entered the cylinders 1 and 2. Initial cranking after the timing belt was replaced “fouled” the #1 and 2 injectors. We removed the fuel rail and the injectors and the were packed with engine oil. We cleaned the injectors and swapped them to the #3 and 4 cylinders, reassembled and it started right up! I just returned from a good 30 mile run and she’s purring like a kitten! Again, I cannot thank you enough for your concern and your knowledge. It is truly appreciated! Now let’s put that one in the back of our heads for future reference.
Thank you again
Sincerely
Harold Wilson
Southampton NY.
Well done that man . As a matter of interest , is this a US Fusion , which is equivalent to our European Mondeo ?
Yes!