What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - Peter D

The screen washers suddenly stopped working, front and rears. filed the fluid up but no joy.

You can here the pump running but only an occasional squirt of screen wash.

Any ideas or how to fix most welcome

Regards Peter

ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - elekie&a/c doctor

There is a gauze/plastic filter at the bottom of the reservoir where the pump is located. I suspect it is blocked up with gunge. Access to it requires removal of some plastic underbody and wheel arch trims.

ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - Oli rag

You could try putting a hosepipe inside the tank and giving it a good blast ( could get messy!) before taking anything to bits.

ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - Bolt

There is a gauze/plastic filter at the bottom of the reservoir where the pump is located. I suspect it is blocked up with gunge. Access to it requires removal of some plastic underbody and wheel arch trims.

Boiling water has been known to melt the jelly on the filter but depends on the build up, its worth a go- otherwise its a strip down, it can be stubborn to shift

ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - thunderbird

Our 2008 1.8 did this one day after its first service in 2009. Took it back presuming the pump had gone (despite it still whirring) but they said it was not warranty and would cost £100 to inspect.

So went home and removed inner wing etc and found the filter blocked with gunge. Removed gunge and all worked fine.

Never went to that Ford dealer again, I am still convinced they put something in to block it during the service and get my £100. We had the car for almost another 11 years and it never happened again which sort of confirms my suspicions. Luckily we had a other Ford dealers to use under warranty and then a great Ford indy after the warranty expired. When they closed the head mechanic opened his own workshop within walking distance and simply went there.

ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - Galaxy

I had this problem on my Mark 2 Mondeo.

I manged to remove the pump and filter from the reservoir but the water still wouldn't run out. It turned out that there was some sort of bacterial growth in the reservoir which was like a lot of jelly! It was clear, like water, but being jelly-like it just blocked everything up. Fortunately I managed to flush it all out with the aid of a hose and a long stick. I think that I cleaned the filter and put everything back. Fortunately the washers then worked.

I don't really know why this growth happened and it wasn't a particularly old car, only about 15 months. I strongly suspect it happened because the original owner hadn't used any screenwash additive in the reservoir, just plain water. I myself always use some and the problem never reappeared.

Edited by Galaxy on 23/12/2019 at 10:01

ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - medview

The blockage is often casued by mixing different types of screenwash. Best to stick to the manufacturers recommended screenwash and avoid the cheap alternatives.

Joe

ford focus 1.8 MK2 - Ford Focus Mk2 - thunderbird

The blockage is often casued by mixing different types of screenwash. Best to stick to the manufacturers recommended screenwash and avoid the cheap alternatives.

Joe

That is a possibility but for many years our washer bottle has always been topped up with a variety of evil smelling brew at the agents of several different brands who will all use different products and that product will without doubt be different to the brew I buy.

Despite that it has only ever happened once thus I fail to be convinced.

However, as I said above ours blocked the day after a service and I will always believe the garage put a product in that was designed to block the filter and get them extra work.