KIA Sorento - Kia Sorento 2015 automatic transmission problem - dremario

I went to a Kia dealer to test drive a used automatic Kia Sorento KX-3, 2015. When I tried to shift the gear lever from Parking to Drive I couldn’t, it just wouldn't move. The sales person tried as well and couldn’t. Then a mechanic came and opened a little flap that covered a tiny hole next to the gear lever. He pushed a screwdriver through the hole and released the gear lever. He advised that I can test drive the vehicle but should not put it back to Parking but leave it in Neutral. He said the problem would be rectified before the car is sold to me. I did drive the car after that and didn’t detect anything untoward with the gears but am very concerned. Would this indicate a serious fault with the gear box or is it likely to be something minor like a faulty sensor? Other than that, the car is nice and priced low. It’s done around 30 000miles. I'm in real dilema should I go for it or look for another one?
The sales person stressed that any mechanical issue with the gear box would still be covered by the balance of the 7-year Kia warranty.

Edited by dremario on 04/12/2019 at 07:17

KIA Sorento - Kia Sorento 2015 automatic transmission problem - elekie&a/c doctor

I doubt it's a gearbox fault . Sounds like a problem with the park position interlock system. Don't forget you can't shift out of the P position unless you have ignition on and foot on the brake.

KIA Sorento - Kia Sorento 2015 automatic transmission problem - dremario

Thanks to your reply. I did have my foot on the brake and the ignition was on. The mechanic himself tried but couldn't move the gear lever until he realesed it into Neutral with the help of a screwdriver.

In you opinion is this something serious? The seller, who is a main Kia dealership stressed that it would be rectified before the vehicle is sold.

KIA Sorento - Kia Sorento 2015 automatic transmission problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Unlikely to be serious . Let the dealer fix it , then retest the car .
KIA Sorento - Kia Sorento 2015 automatic transmission problem - snufflegrunt

The 7 year warranty covers less and less every year. The salesperson is a liar to say "anything mechanical is covered for 7 years"