What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Replcing a front airbag sensor. - bluenun

My dashboard airbag light is on. It goes through a sequence of flashes on start up and then stays on.

The mechanic who M.O.T'd my car passed it and told me I need the front airbag sensor replacing.

I took mine off and have the serial number.

I have found one that is off a mark 1 ST170, but it is exactly the same part number.

If the part number is the same does it matter that it came off a different model to mine?

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Replcing a front airbag sensor. - elekie&a/c doctor
All mk 1 Focus models have the same sensor, whatever variant it may be .
2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Replcing a front airbag sensor. - bluenun

Thank-you.

I have been doing some reading about replacing the front air bag sensor and understand I need to deplete the backup power supply by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery at least 15 minutes before starting the job.

"Turn the ignition OFF.
Disconnect battery ground cable

WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latch."

2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto - Replcing a front airbag sensor. - bathtub tom

My dashboard airbag light is on. It goes through a sequence of flashes on start up and then stays on.

The mechanic who M.O.T'd my car passed it and told me I need the front airbag sensor replacing.

Shouldn't that be a 'major' and as such a fail?