What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda diesel - Engineer Andy

I would still be wary of them until proven otherwise, especially the 1.6/1.5TD (variants of the same original PSA-Ford-derived engine) and the 2.2TD when your driving pattern is mainly made up of shorter and or urban trips from cold.

The other issue is that you don't often know on second hand cars what the driving pattern was before, even if the mileage is known - the damage could've been done at any point in its ownership, and the financial costs of repairs are steep.

I'm not sure what to say about their new 1.8TD in this regard, as within three months of it going on sale in the new Mazda3 (no more diesels, adding the SA-X engine to the standard SA-G), it was withdrawn, now only available in the CX-3, whereas the 2.2TD is only now available in the latest 6 and CX-5 (for how long though?).

Them withdrawing some diesels may be just as much to do with new emissions regs, EU testing and city bans on diesels, but for Mazda I suspect they've had a lot of blowback on faults with their diesels, especially when not used as they were designed for.

The reason I suspect why HJ at the time likely recommends the 2.2TD is because when its being used properly, it IS a decent engine in terms of grunt/performance and mpg, especially compared to the 2.0 SA-G petrol engine, which is a bit lackluster in comparison. All their cars are nice too look at, reasonably comfortable (slightly firm ride, but fine if you avoid the low profile tyres) and the petrol cars are reliable.

The SA-G engines are fine for mpg, generally quiet if you don't push hard, but don't expect much in the way of performance - they aren't designed for that. I drove a early 2017 CX-3 and Mazda3 with that engine (manual and auto) and found them to be OK, but not much more spritely than my (then) 11yo+ Mazda3 1.6 petrol.

The bigger cars like the CX-5 and 6 have uprated 145PS/165PS variants of the 120PS version in the 3 and CX-3, but are slower to 60 because the former are heavier cars. If you're not worried about decent performance, then they are fine. Note that the gen-1 (you're presumed price range) CX-5 only comes in auto version with the 2.2TD, it comes with both on the gen-3 Mazda 6.

I would seriously think about the size of car needed, as the top 3 on that list are smaller. If you prefer Mazdas, then I'd look at the gen-3 Mazda3 in 2.0 petrol form, if its big enough for your needs, as its quicker (but not quick as per my earlier comments), handles better (the others are still excellent) and more frugal than the CX-5 and 6 and cheaper to buy/insure/run.

The Honda is likely only lower because its more expensive to buy, but is big inside, especially the boot and has a very reliable engine line up, with the 1.8 petrol being reasonable nippy and frugal, though the Skoda Octavia with its 1.4TSI engine is very good if you avoid the dreaded DSG auto - lots of advocates on the Backroom for this car and engine combo. Whether you can snap up one for the budget is another matter - it depends upon when the article was written.

Best of luck mate.