What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - OceanMan

Hey y'all

So I have a Ford Fiesta 1.25 from 2009. On a trip back up north from London it became very difficult to change gears. Almost every change involved some sort of resistance and struggle. A few times it was so bad I had to slow down to about 40 mph on the motorway while struggling to get into gear and had people flashing me. I noticed that when I switch my engine off the gears move smoothly into place when I try them.

I've heard this is a common problem and obviously I'm going to take it to a garage but I'd like to get some advice here first so I know where I stand. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like your clutch is in trouble.
Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - Bromptonaut

Sounds like the clutch plates are not separating when pedal is pressed. Could be one of several possible causes in either clutch itself or the hydraulic or cable link to pedal.

Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - jc2

Sounds like the clutch plates are not separating when pedal is pressed. Could be one of several possible causes in either clutch itself or the hydraulic or cable link to pedal.

Fiesta has hydraulic clutch.

Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - Railroad.

You don't need the clutch to change gear, it only makes it easier. If you know how to change gear without using the clutch it will help you to diagnose what's wrong.

Any two gears to be engaged must either be stationary or rotating at the same speed. The synchromesh mechanism in the gearbox ensures this happens. All the clutch does is temporarily disconnect the drive to make gear changing smoother. But you can change gear quite easily by matching the speed of the driven gear to the speed of the driving gear, and when they are they will engage nice and easily. Older drivers may remember having to double declutch. This was because gearboxes years ago did not have synchromesh, and commercial vehicle gearboxes have only had full synchromesh for the past 40 years or so.

So if you cannot change gear at all without difficulty then the clutch may not be the problem. It's always easier to engage higher gears than lower ones. If you cannot select reverse without it crunching then the clutch is likely to be the problem.

Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - Cyd

This is your problem.

youtu.be/3Yc-n4FaxcM

Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - Chris M

Maybe, but the OP says:

" I noticed that when I switch my engine off the gears move smoothly into place when I try them."

Ford fiesta 2009 - Problem with gear Selection while driving - FiestaOwner

Sorry, I didn't see this thread when OceanMan first posted it.

It might just be low clutch fluid level (could be a leak of clutch/ brake fluid).

The Fiesta like many other cars has a single reservoir for both clutch and brake fluid. The pipe for the clutch master cylinder comes out of the reservoir quite high up. Is the fluid level above this pipe? If the level is low, then it will need to be bled, when it is topped up.

Always interested to see what the resolution actually is though, if you don't mind posted back when sorted.