What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2014 Ford fiesta, 1.25 - oil filler cap - fazer 1000

Got this problem on daughter car,it makes a strange noise from the throttle housing on the front of the engine, trying to remove the engine oil filler cap is difficult vacuum sucks the cap to the cover, when i do get the cap off the noise goes away, putting cap on it comes back. I have looked round the engine for a breather but can't see one anywhere. Any ideas please

kev

2014 Ford fiesta, 1.25 - oil filler cap - edlithgow

Got this problem on daughter car,it makes a strange noise from the throttle housing on the front of the engine, trying to remove the engine oil filler cap is difficult vacuum sucks the cap to the cover, when i do get the cap off the noise goes away, putting cap on it comes back. I have looked round the engine for a breather but can't see one anywhere. Any ideas please

kev

If the vacuum is abnormally high (sounds like it, but I've never had a Fiesta) that suggests the PCV valve thingy (assuming your car has one, mine doesnt) is stuck open.

As I understand it, these regulate the amount of vacuum applied. Unregulated, this would be highest at low throttle opening.

Does the noise go away at higher revs? (assuming your engine isn't noisy enough to mask it)

I can't hear it when driving normally, it seems to be only when its on tickover, You say your's doesnt have one, what model do you have. I have noticed it sounds to be getting louder when she drives down the drive to our house. How is the vacuum regulated then, i would have thought the engine would have had some sort of breather. Also i would have thought it would suck oil into the manifold with so much vac on the cam cover, it uses no oil.

kev

Juist my best guess based on your description and what I've read. Could easily be wrong since I'm not completely sure I understoodor or correctly remember the descriptions..

No real experience with PCV valves since AFAIK I've never had a car with one, since I run old cars.

My DOHC 2L Ford Sierra (highest tech so far) may have had one, but it never gave me a reason to find out.

Current car is a 1986 Daihatsu Skywing, which has given me ample reason to investigate how it works (or doesn't) and I'm fairty sure it just applies unregulated manifold vacuum to the crankcase.

It has a system of baffles to recover oil, and doesn't use much either. Vacuum will be highest at idle, when crankcase turbulence will be least, so relatively little oil vapour will be entrained.

If your cylinders are in good nick, in combination with a closed PVC valve (or collapsed hose), which is restricting flow, there will be relatively little blowby, and thus relatively little gas flow (as distinct from vacuum) to entrain oil vapor..

I said stuck open above. Stuck closed would make more sense.

(Should have just stuck with stuck, to cover myself.)

To quote Python's Anne Elk, that's my theory, which is mine.

Edited by edlithgow on 23/08/2019 at 23:43

2014 Ford fiesta, 1.25 - oil filler cap - Bolt

in combination with a closed PVC valve (or collapsed hose)

valve used to get blocked with congealed oil gone hard, and in some cases the pipes collapsed so had to be replaced, used to be common on those that hadn't been serviced regular and sometimes on those that had

quicker to replace the lot rather than clear it all (usually pipes are damaged and collapse as they do)

Hi, car only showing 14k no other problems with it, will strip the intake off completely and see if i find any thing, thanks for the info, will post on here if i find the problem.

kev

2014 Ford fiesta, 1.25 - oil filler cap - elekie&a/c doctor
I think I would be taking off the cam box cover rather than the inlet manifold . It may be the crankcase breather is incorporated within this .
I think I would be taking off the cam box cover rather than the inlet manifold . It may be the crankcase breather is incorporated within this .

Yes, i should have said that too, going to remove the lot.

Perhaps worth having a look in a manual first?

A common model like a Fiesta should be covered, I'd have thought.

I had a quick look online, but most of what I found seemed to be for US models, which might be diffferent, and the Amercans were arguing as to whether a 2012 had a PCV valve, not a good sign..