Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - Ray40

Hi, we have a Skoda Fabia, 2011, 64,000 miles. It's running fine and we are very happy with it. My parents are replacing their car and have very generously offered to give us their Ford C Max, 2013, 73,000.

It will probably cost us £195 each year to insure.

Should we change our car? Which is likely to run problem free for longer or cost less in repairs?

Anything else we should consider?

Thanks in advance

Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - bazza

You need to tell us a little bit more information, such as the engine size, miles done, fuel type, servicing history, ownership etc. There's a huge difference depending on these things. Cheers

Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - Ray40

You need to tell us a little bit more information, such as the engine size, miles done, fuel type, servicing history, ownership etc. There's a huge difference depending on these things. Cheers

Ford C max Titanium X Eco Boost with a one litre 125 bhp engine, 71,000 miles, full Ford Service history, one owner. Petrol.

Our Skoda, 65,000 1.2 litre engine I think. Not quite full service history but basically done once a year (one was a month or so late). I think w're the 3rd owners.

Thanks

Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - SLO76
Depends on what engine and gearbox are in either. The C-max is very reliable with the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol but appalling unreliable with the 1.0 Ecoboost. The 1.6 diesel is prone to turbo failure too and the Powershift autobox is a nightmare. Nice car to drive though. If it’s free then you’d be daft not to take it and sell your own though.
Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - carl duck
Keep your current car. prevents what ifs.
Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - Brit_in_Germany

What if the Skoda breaks down the week after the Ford has gone and is an economic write off?

Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - carl duck
I’m not sure if that last message by Brit in Germany is a joke or not.

As somebody who sells cars for a living my view with customers is always the same. If your car is reliable and you like it keep it. I do sell cars and I make a good living. But a lot of customers like the idea of change but not the risks. I don’t want to see these people back on my forecourt unless they are buying again. This type of customer will be back if a seat squeaks.

If you want to spend money for a change of scenery do so.

90% of the time cars work.

The rest of the time you need to keep them going and spend some pennies.

The chance of your car breaking is very small.

If you are questioning the decision it’s always best to stay with what you know.
Ford C-MAX - Replace Skoda Fabia with Ford C Max or keep? - Smileyman

Have you considered future running costs? You mention insurance, presumably this is the increase in premium. What about fuel, maintenance, comfort of driving, needs with boot space, ease of parking (reversing?) .... all little practical issues that come through usage. Very possibly there is no real problem with any of these criteria, but still worth considering if only to rule out.