What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Touran - Check engine light on VW Touran mk1 - Pshemek

Hello,

I have to go for MOT this month. Just checking the condition of the car.

I have noticed that two lights are up when turning on (not starting) the ignition. One is airbag yellow warning light and the other is yellow check engine warning light. The airbag warning stays all the time, it actually appeared when my son put a coin into the cig lighter socket and blew a fuse (after fuse replacement it did not disappear) The other warning light disappears whenever the engine is turned on.

I have a question - I know check engine is not a good sign. But does it normally disappear after the engine is turned on or stays on all the time. I think it should stay all the time - how does the computer know that something is wrong with the engine when it has not been even started.

Is there any way one can get rid of the airbag warning light? Will my car fail MOT with it? I know all is fine with the airbag since it did happen to me before when my battery ran dead. I had to give it the mechanic to remove it. It was 30 quid, ouuuch.

Thanks a lot for help

Volkswagen Touran - Check engine light on VW Touran mk1 - elekie&a/c doctor
The check engine light should come on with ignition and go out once the engine has started, if it stays on with engine running , a fault has been detected by the engine control unit . This would be an mot fail . Likewise, a permanently lit airbag warning is an mot fail.
Volkswagen Touran - Check engine light on VW Touran mk1 - CHarkin

The Touran has a bit of a reputation for throwing up spurious fault codes if the electrical system is interfered with, it seems to be overly sensitive. Once a warning light is on it is stored in the memory and won't go away even if the fault has gone. Two ways to clear it are disconnect the battery for at least 40 minutes, this can erase the memory by denying it power. If that fails you need it connected to a diagnostic device to clear the fault codes, if the fault has gone the light will stay out but if there is a fault it will come back on.

I managed to generate something like 20 fault codes in my Touran simply by removing fuses trying to trace a cable. The car would not run till the fault codes were cleared.

Volkswagen Touran - Check engine light on VW Touran mk1 - dnewpix

I had a 2007 Touran 2.0TDI which I bought from VW with 26000 mls on it. All was fine until about a month out of warranty when the airbag light lit up, for no apparent reason. I googled it to find that thousands of Vw's, Seats and Porsches and Skodas were rife with the same problem. It seemed to be nearly always caused by a yellow connector joint under the front 2 seats that joined a cable which monitors the front seat belts and airbags.

I bought a cheap code reader (and canceller) from fleabay for a tenner and sure enough it gave me the seat restraint code as the culprit and I cancelled it. The light went out, great. A year later I had to perform a really nasty swerve and hard braking manoever and 'ping', the airbag light came on again. Out with the cheap scanner ( CAN VW/AUDI Memoscanner u281 if you are interested) and got rid of the warning light. Six months later I was pushing my seat back a bit quick after my wife had been driving it and it came on again! I fixed it again quite quickly.

Obviously the light will not go out if there is a genuine problem, but this, the resistance in the electrical connection going slightly above spec every now and again was frustrating. VW would be charging near on 100GBP to cancel these codes I was told by another victim. There is an official fix for this which is to remove the joint and solder in a continuous wire and cocer it in yellow tape to show that it is a VW approved fix. I mean, how often would you need to take your front seats out anyway??

So, I'm guessing that your airbag light will disappear if you cancel the code, because the car only blew a fuse when the cigarette lighter got fused and now you have replaced the fuse.

I have read a lot about these vehicles and their electrical upkeep regards computers and fault codes. If you don't know much they are going to cost you big bucks in the end. What, with that and door locks and window winder mechanisms failing prematurely (VAG have been using Chinese Bosch components for a few years now and they are not as good as the previously hun built stuff) I got fed up with the little problems (at only 80,000 miles) so I got rid. I got Japanese for the first time after 9 VW's and so far so good. Good luck with yours.

'

Volkswagen Touran - Check engine light on VW Touran mk1 - dan86

I had a 2007 Touran 2.0TDI which I bought from VW with 26000 mls on it. All was fine until about a month out of warranty when the airbag light lit up, for no apparent reason. I googled it to find that thousands of Vw's, Seats and Porsches and Skodas were rife with the same problem. It seemed to be nearly always caused by a yellow connector joint under the front 2 seats that joined a cable which monitors the front seat belts and airbags.

I bought a cheap code reader (and canceller) from fleabay for a tenner and sure enough it gave me the seat restraint code as the culprit and I cancelled it. The light went out, great. A year later I had to perform a really nasty swerve and hard braking manoever and 'ping', the airbag light came on again. Out with the cheap scanner ( CAN VW/AUDI Memoscanner u281 if you are interested) and got rid of the warning light. Six months later I was pushing my seat back a bit quick after my wife had been driving it and it came on again! I fixed it again quite quickly.

Obviously the light will not go out if there is a genuine problem, but this, the resistance in the electrical connection going slightly above spec every now and again was frustrating. VW would be charging near on 100GBP to cancel these codes I was told by another victim. There is an official fix for this which is to remove the joint and solder in a continuous wire and cocer it in yellow tape to show that it is a VW approved fix. I mean, how often would you need to take your front seats out anyway??

So, I'm guessing that your airbag light will disappear if you cancel the code, because the car only blew a fuse when the cigarette lighter got fused and now you have replaced the fuse.

I have read a lot about these vehicles and their electrical upkeep regards computers and fault codes. If you don't know much they are going to cost you big bucks in the end. What, with that and door locks and window winder mechanisms failing prematurely (VAG have been using Chinese Bosch components for a few years now and they are not as good as the previously hun built stuff) I got fed up with the little problems (at only 80,000 miles) so I got rid. I got Japanese for the first time after 9 VW's and so far so good. Good luck with yours.

'

You read all these horror stories regarding volkswagen's with their reliability yet they are still seen as this Paragon of reliability and bulletproof build quality.