What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P2040 code - tig1

Hello,

I have the check engine symbol on my dashboard.. At one point there were other sumbols i.e. ABS, trye deflation. Took to Honda garage , they tested the cat and quoted P2040 code. They reset so the symbol disappeared and mentioned I might need a new catalytic converter if the problem persisted.. The car is 6 years old and 90000 on clock. I run it well nearly every day. This morning I tried to accelerate and the car lost a little power and the check engine symbol started to blink. A few hours later when I drove the car, the symbol stopped blinking and the car had regained full power. What I would like to know if possible, what is going on with the car and do I need a new catalytic converter, which I think is unacceptable on so young a car. I even tried a cat clean because I thought it was gunged up, obviously not. Many thanks for any advice before I tackle Honda.

Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P2040 code - elekie&a/c doctor
Are you sure you don’t mean P 0420, which is a catalyst efficiency fault issue. This would usually not cause any running issues.
Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P0420 code - tig1

Yes you are correct, I meant, P0420, This is the code Honda quoted to me.

'catalyst efficiency fault issue' - is this a sensor problem?

Edited by tig1 on 17/07/2019 at 18:21

Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P0420 code - 3uga

Well you should look for any leaks intake or exhaust. If the fault is permanent you might want to check wires before changing o2 sensor.

Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P0420 code - Gibbo_Wirral

If its the original cat, then 90,000 miles is good going.

You could try something like CATACLEAN, but it just might be time for a new cat.

Finale

Many thanks for the comments I received, it gave me some food for thought.

Took car back to Honda, the code was reset so check engine light was cleared. It was inferred the CATCLEAN may have not helped the situation even though I told them it had been added after the previous visit to Honda when the check engine light re-appeared,.hoping it would do the trick.

Further investigation they discovered the engine was mis-firing due to badly worn spark plugs and this may have been the cause of the problem. My only gripe with Honda, because I only had a basic service package, unknowingly until I took it to a Honda garage for its first service,I bought the car second hand, I am not sure how I was suppose to know they needed changing after 75000 miles, without at least being advised........ Perhaps I am wrong, but I feel they should have been checked after so many miles even if they weren't included in the basic package Once upon a time with my other cars spark plugs were checked at every service.

At least for the moment the car is running really well.........................................until the next time ......

Edited by tig1 on 20/07/2019 at 22:51

Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P0420 code - bathtub tom
Further investigation they discovered the engine was mis-firing due to badly worn spark plugs and this may have been the cause of the problem. My only gripe with Honda, because I only had a basic service package, unknowingly until I took it to a Honda garage for its first service,I bought the car second hand, I am not sure how I was suppose to know they needed changing after 75000 miles

What does your service book state the replacement period is?

Service book states 75000 miles, a lot of mileage eh, and obviously they were not checked then. Very remiss. OK so I wasn't aware, but I hand my car over to Honda at some expense for them to service and care with their expert technicians. I know better now.

Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P0420 code - bathtub tom

You say you had a basic service package. Presumably that didn't include changing the plugs. You'd need to read the T&Cs.

Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P0420 code - Falkirk Bairn

Long Life Plugs are are around £30 EACH - so obviously not in a basic service package

I didn't expect to have them changed on the basic package just brought to my attention when they needed changing.. Not to much to ask I would have thought..

Honda Civic ES 1.8 - Honda P0420 code - focussed

A set of four genuine Honda spark plugs from Coxes Honda is £79.56 + postage.

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-civic-5-door-1-8-petrol-spark-plug-set-iridium-2012/