What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Rhythmic noise when braking / coming - Stuart INGRAM

Sorry If I have posted this twice.

We have just brought a 2013 Ford Focus from a garage.

Not long after driving away we have noticed a rhythmic noise coming from the rear in the last few seconds before the car comes to a stop, the rhythm slowing down as the car does. It doesn't sound like the brake pads although, naturally, the brakes are being applied at this point.

Any ideas what it might be? The car is going back to the garage today and I don't want to be fobbed off as I have just bought the car from them and want the issue resolved.

Cheers.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Rhythmic noise when braking / coming - Peter.N.

You can get all sorts of noises from brakes, most of them fairly harmless but just as well to check it out.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Rhythmic noise when braking / coming - daveyjp

Could be the start of a wheel bearing failure - mine started with what sounded like grinding/sticking brakes at slower speeds - a few months later it was a constant hum and very obvious the bearing was on its way out.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Rhythmic noise when braking / coming - John F

Yes, sounds like wheel bearing. I think Foci are prone to this - plenty on their forums about rear wheel bearings. We had one humming loudly when our Focus was 7yrs old/45,000miles.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Rhythmic noise when braking / coming - FP

Others have mentioned wheel bearings, but I had what may be a similar problem with a Mk 2 Focus after it had stood for a while and the disks were jammed. They freed with a jolt when I moved off the first time and thereafter, every time the brakes were applied, especially at low speed, there was a rhythmic noise.

It did eventually go, but it took a while.