What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car for a vicar and his family! - Nomag

So...apologies for the long post, and if you don't have time to read, I understand.

My brother in law, a Church of England Priest, approached me last week to offer some advice on his next car.

My sister is pestering him to replace their current vehicle, a 2006 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol with 105k miles. It is starting to need more regular maintenance- nothing out of the ordinary, for example recently a new exhaust. My sister's concern is that it will start to become unreliable, and as their only car, in daily use, this would be a problem.

My BiL has not the remotest of interest in cars, and is about as mechanically sympathetic (and minded) as a hippo. By way of example both him and my sister passed their driving tests on their 8th attempt! However, my BiL is also a very anxious individual, and a bit of technophobe, all of which adds to make this a challenging dilema of car choice!

HIs budget, he tells me, is around £ 8k and for this he wants a 3-4 year old vehicle with 30k-40k miles. He would want this vehicle to last a long time, at least 5-6 years. Their annual mileage is around 11k miles now.

Journeys are a lot of short-ish runs with at least monthly longer runs.

The Picasso has served them well, it's a bit creaky and plasticky but basically reliable and has the distinct advantage of a relatively small footprint and 3 full separate seats of the same size in the rear- as they have 3 children of 15, 13 and 10.

Ideally they would like the same sort of vehicle. Great thinks I, let's have a look at the newer model Picasso, stick to petrol (due to their mileage and short runs) and see what's available. Then my BiL casually mentions that he has heard some cars now have an "automatic handbrake". I spent some time explaining the joys (and perils) of the electric handbrake and he announced he couldn't possibly have a car with one of those. TBH, given his lack of mechanical sympathy and the way he drives, I'm inclined to agree that he just wouldn't get used to it! And obviously, it is something else to go wrong. Surprise, surprise the newer Picasso has such a handbrake. He also won't consider anything larger, 7 seaters like the Zafira are out.

There are very few small people carriers with 5 proper seats (most seem to be a compromise with a narrow middle seat, e.g. C-max, Verso) so this led me to the Berlingo/Partner - I thought I had found the solution at last - a simple vehicle more akin to their current Picasso, plenty of space, no touch screens for heating controls etc. but....can I find a petrol one in budget! Can I heck, they are all the so called 1.6 diesel of doom, although plenty of these in budget. Now in fairness, my dad has had 3 C-max with this engine and has had no problems, but I'm more concerned with their useage this would be a bad idea. There's the Dacia Duster, but it's not nearly so accommodating inside. So I desperately need some help to see if anyone can recommend a suitable vehicle. To recap here are the requirements:

3-4 years old

Petrol

Ideally 5 separate seats, and not much longer/wider than their current Picasso

Manual

Reliable and relatively cheap to maintain

Thanks in advance and apologies again for the long post!

Car for a vicar and his family! - SLO76
If a first gen Picasso had enough space then a Ford C-Max will fill the role fine. It’s much better made, very pleasant to drive, has plenty of space and uses a bulletproof Yamaha designed motor if you stick with the 1.6 petrol.

It’ll last well if looked after and really has no vices to worry about as long as you avoid the diesel and the rather notorious 1.0 Ecoboost. Don’t let any salesperson tell you otherwise, the 1.0 turbo is very fragile and deeply flawed. A good approved used car is possible for less than £8k and is the best small MPV on the road.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190529843...3

A bit of negotiation will get an improved facelift car almost within budget too.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190330644...8

Car for a vicar and his family! - Falkirk Bairn

If a Ford AVOID Powershift gearboxes have terrible reputation for failure.

Car for a vicar and his family! - SLO76

If a Ford AVOID Powershift gearboxes have terrible reputation for failure.

Yup, good point. No auto’s with the C-Max either.
Car for a vicar and his family! - johnnyrev
As a Church of England vicar I can recommend a Dacia Logan. Not too smart that the parish thinks you’re after promotion, doesn’t attract attention when you pull in to the crem, and lots of space to take the remains of the jumble sale to the tip.

Plus, simple/basic car which has so far lasted us well (apart from the new gearbox but that was all fixed under warranty!). You can get a decent spec new one for £8.5k.
Car for a vicar and his family! - badbusdriver

There isn't going to be an awful lot of choices here. Not just because of the requirements, but if the car has to be 3-4 years old, which is a bit optimistic TBH. Along similar lines to the Berlingo/Partner is the Fiat Doblo, which, assuming you can find one without a wheelchair conversion, should fit the bill. This will have a 1.4 95bhp petrol, and is about as basic as cars get for the age. I found one on Autotrader at £8.5k, i will try posting the link, but the last two times i tried (on other threads), it resulted in a 'dead' link(?),

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190513790...1

Yeah, same here!,

Avant, any explanantion?

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/06/2019 at 10:35

Car for a vicar and his family! - Andrew-T

<< My sister is pestering him to replace their current vehicle, a 2006 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 petrol with 105k miles. It is starting to need more regular maintenance- nothing out of the ordinary, for example recently a new exhaust. My sister's concern is that it will start to become unreliable, and as their only car, in daily use, this would be a problem. >>

All cars should have 'regular maintenance', new or old. If this car has had that (i.e. no skimping) it should not need to be replaced. Doing that would certainly cost more than keeping up the maintenance on the old one. An exhaust at 12 years old is normal wear and tear, so IMHO if normal consumables are your only expense, keep the car running.

On the other hand, if the bodywork is starting to go, or your MoT tester makes awkward suggestions, think again. Does the minister need to keep up appearances?

Car for a vicar and his family! - John F

All cars should have 'regular maintenance', new or old. If this car has had that (i.e. no skimping) it should not need to be replaced. Doing that would certainly cost more than keeping up the maintenance on the old one.

Absolutely agree. It should have at least five more years life - and even then it wouldn't be as old as our Focus is. If one is poor yet needs a car, the best thing to do is learn how to make a car last. It does not take much intelligence or skill to get under it and deal with early corrosion, grease the brake pipes, and change the oil every 10,000 miles which these days is virtually all you need to do. Even a ham-fisted vicar should be capable of going one stage further and changing brake pads when necessary. He is obviously a diametric opposite to the Catholic priest Ralph in The Thornbirds, who I seem to remember drove a Ferrari.

Car for a vicar and his family! - Avant

As a C of E organist I've met many vicars with the same feeling about cars. Johnnyrev's knowledge and enthusiasm are the exception!

Citroens can do well if looked after - but the trouble with buying a used one is that you don't know how considerate the previous owner(s) has/have been. But as SLO suggests, a C-Max would do fine if you can find a petrol one Worth tryi ng for size andsee if the children can all fit in. The Logan could do the job although it would need to be checked for width.

His Reverence shouldn't dismiss 7-seaters: I don't think the Zafira is much bigger than the Picasso. After all the 7-seater Grand C-Max is about the same size as the 5-seater. Even though the 3rd row of seats is onlt any good for children, the youngest might still be more comfortable in there than in the middle of the 2nd row. So the Zafira should be a possibility, and even better, the Verso which should have a better chance of being reliable - again provided that you can find a petrol one.

Car for a vicar and his family! - Gordon17

What about a 1.6 petrol Kia Carens?

There's a 2013 one with 52,000 miles for £8,000 if you search on the Kia website.

Are cars cheaper in Scotland? The two C-Maxes linked by SLO are much newer, with lower mileages and only a few hundred more expensive.

BBD - for IT problems kalpesh@honestjohn.co.uk is your friend.

Car for a vicar and his family! - badbusdriver

BBD - for IT problems kalpesh@honestjohn.co.uk is your friend.

Sent email this morning after trying unsuccessfully to link the Doblo earlier on. No response as yet, but will hopefully hear something back!.

Car for a vicar and his family! - thunderbird

All cars should have 'regular maintenance', new or old.

Absolutely agree.

Not been on here for while and to read a post from JonhF agreeing that all cars should have regular maintenance is a bit of a shocker.

What have I missed while I have been away, has either (or both) his beloved Focus or TVR gone up in smoke due to missed services.

Must keep more up to date.

It depends on what you mean by 'regular'.

John F advocates an oil change every 10,000 miles. In most cases I would agree with him, but where we part company is if those 10,000 miles are, say, spread over 5 years with the 2,000 annual mileage consisting of short journeys (which is what many people use their cars for, especially as they get older).

Volvo's service intervals are one year or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. I think that's spot-on.

VAG's is 2 years or 19,000 miles: I personally think that 2 years is too long, but because VAG servicing is expensive, you can understand why most owners follow their programme, especially if they are not going to keep their cars long-term.

So you are suggesting that JohnF's interpretation of "regular" is different to how most others would define it.

John F advocates an oil change every 10,000 miles. In most cases I would agree with him, but where we part company is if those 10,000 miles are, say, spread over 5 years with the 2,000 annual mileage consisting of short journeys (which is what many people use their cars for, especially as they get older).

I would agree that 10,000 miles is regular but there is no way that an oil change every 5 years could be considered anything but ridiculously detrimental to the cars well being.

Volvo's service intervals are one year or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. I think that's spot-on.

I would agree providing that the oil used meets Volvo's specification, but that applies with all brands of course.

VAG's is 2 years or 19,000 miles: I personally think that 2 years is too long, but because VAG servicing is expensive, you can understand why most owners follow their programme, especially if they are not going to keep their cars long-term.

Disagree about VAG servicing being expensive. When we had a VAG car it was very reasonable and we also found that the fixed servicing we had was only a few pounds more expensive than the variable one. The down side was double the garage visits.

If you want expensive servicing try a Nissan. We were horrified when we looked at buying one a few years ago but it all came good with the 3 year servicing deal they threw in when I started to leave the building.

I would agree that 10,000 miles is regular but there is no way that an oil change every 5 years could be considered anything but ridiculously detrimental to the cars well being.

Please explain precisely why you consider that. My TR7 (not TVR) is nearly 40 years old. I last changed the oil in 2013 and before that in 2002. It never goes more than 6,000 miles between changes. The engine is fine - admittedly only done 71,000 miles - as is the oil. I shall be changing it again this summer. It is high time this anachronistic polluting dogma of 'change annually whatever the mileage' is exposed as being a multi-million pound scam, mainly perpetrated upon low mileage pensioners, many of whom struggle with car bills.

PS The Focus is also just fine...oil changes often well over a year apart but never further than 12,000 miles. Now nearly 19yrs and 140,000 miles - probably lasted longer than most Foci. Never had a garage 'service' to risk botching anything.

Edited by John F on 04/06/2019 at 20:12

So you are suggesting that JohnF's interpretation of "regular" is different to how most others would define it.

As a gentle reminder, 'regular' is not the same as 'frequent'. It just means that the intervals between events are about the same. In John-F's case they may be every 5 years, in others' every 8,000 miles.

Heartbeats are best kept regular, but probably not too frequent (or infrequent).

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/06/2019 at 23:59

Car for a vicar and his family! - Nomag

Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

I had not considered the Logan as I thought it would be too narrow, being Clio based, for the three ever growing children.

I am going to steer down the C-max path, as a family lots of experience (my dad is on his third), but only with the 1.6 diesel.

The downside is lack of three proper separate rear seats, but you can't have it all!

BTW, definitely no interest in keeping up appearances! And my BiL is completely and utterly non-DIY, I changed a brake light bulb for them last time I was there on the Picasso (2 minute job) and he thought I was some sort of genius!

Car for a vicar and his family! - Bilboman

Behold, advice cometh from the Scriptures:
Acts 2:1, verses 42-46: "When the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one Accord in one place."

Behold, advice cometh from the Scriptures:
Acts 2:1, verses 42-46: "When the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one Accord in one place."

and Joshua's Triumph (TR7) was heard throughout the land

As a gentle reminder, 'regular' is not the same as 'frequent'. It just means that the intervals between events are about the same. In John-F's case they may be every 5 years, in others' every 8,000 miles.

Heartbeats are best kept regular, but probably not too frequent (or infrequent).

That statement is correct only if there is tachy- or bradycardia pathology. Actually, the more infrequent your heartbeat (assuming normal healthy sinus rhythm), the longer your body will live. And, a bit like an 'italian tune-up' , it is good to raise the frequency to its healthy maximum at least once a week.

Car and body motors, plumbing, electrical and circulatory systems have many similarities. Preventive maintenance is important for both, as is the maxim 'if it works well, don't mend it.'

Edited by John F on 05/06/2019 at 10:11

Car for a vicar and his family! - skidpan

I last changed the oil in 2013 and before that in 2002. It never goes more than 6,000 miles between changes

I thought you had been told to stop posting such ill advised advice on this forum.

Just accept that you have your opinion about maintenance and the rest of the world has a different one.

I last changed the oil in 2013 and before that in 2002. It never goes more than 6,000 miles between changes

I thought you had been told to stop posting such ill advised advice on this forum.

For the n-th time, Skidpan, please cool it. John has not offered advice, he has simply told us what he does with his car(s), as should be clear from his input above. Probably the majority here thinks his method is not the best, and they will tell us about their method, as you have done. All cars come with manufacturer's 'advice', which some others don't agree with either.

<< That statement is correct only if there is tachy- or bradycardia pathology. Actually, the more infrequent your heartbeat (assuming normal healthy sinus rhythm), the longer your body will live. >>

Yes of course John. My critical word was 'too', implying that the frequency should be below 200 and well above zero.

I'm enjoying the Biblical references but let's not forget that this potentially very useful thread is about a suitable car for a family which must be typical of many who might be reading this.

Reliability....petrol power because of the short journeys....mechanical handbrake....room for 5 people all of whom will soon be adult sized....but smallish footprint.

One problem is that so many of the cars within budget are of an age when diesel was all the rage, so that petrol ones are going to be hard to come by. Nomag - it could be worth seeing how frequent the long runs are and how much of a problem DPF clogging is likely to be.

A Grand C-Max or Toyota Verso, where the youngest has the option of being in the middle or in a seat at the 'very back' still sounds the best to me, but a 2.0 litre Ford diesel or any Toyota should perhaps still be in the running. I'm never keen on suggesting a Vauxhall but Zafiras were popular and there should be plenty to look at. Can anyone remember which was the engine at risk of catching fire? - clearly one to avoid!

let's not forget that this potentially very useful thread is about a suitable car for a family which must be typical of many who might be reading this.

Very good thought

Reliability....petrol power because of the short journeys....mechanical handbrake....room for 5 people all of whom will soon be adult sized....but smallish footprint.

IMHO based on personal experience there is a simple (but unfashionable) answer.

Nissan Pulsar.

Bought one last year to replace the Focus and it was easily better than anything else we looked at. Got the 1.6 turbo petrol simply because diesel is not really suitable for us these days and whilst the 1.2 turbo petrol was probably OK for the small extra cost the 1.6 has more power than we will ever need.

Compared to the others we looked at (Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Toyota Auris, Seat Leon and another Focus) it has a bigger boot than all but the Civic, more back seat space than any of them, with the 1.6 engine better performance (the Mazda and Civic were very slow, the Auris a bit better, the Leon very good) and its no bigger externally. Getting in and out of the spacious rear is a doddle as well, the Mazda and Seat were notably poor in this respect. Overall the Seat came second but its not a car to carry 3 in the rear on a regular basis.

You don't sit as high as in an MPV but you are higher up than in other similar cars, we really like that about the car. Its also got a "real" handbrake as well.

Best bit was the price. We got ours brand new unregistered and it was £4000 less than the nearest competitor (we got about £6000 off list since it was being discontinued) and better equipped. Only downside is the diamond cut wheels, but they still look OK. I accept it will depreciate like a stone but do the sums and the actual £££'s loss over 5 years will be no greater than the alternatives.

Believe it or not there is more space inside than in the much more expensive (and fashionable) Qashqai.

Car for a vicar and his family! - Alby Back
He could get a 2016 Dacia Duster petrol with fewer than 50,000 miles for less than £8000.

He could be quite a funky vicar in one of those. If he feels so inclined.