What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2.0 ECOBOOST - Petrol - BSEN228 but different brand experience - the_bandit

Engine: 2.0 Ecoboost (240ps)

So I've used Costco95 and Costco99 unleaded and both give a noticeable uneven idle particularly when cold. Less so when normal temp but still evident.

Switch to BP95 or Shell95 (when tank low) and idle issue virtually eliminated, instantly.

Can't remember about BP97 and Shell99 smooth.

So what is going on here?

There are no fault codes being generated so not officially a misfire, not even intermittent misfire.

Don't tell me this is a HJ "Told you so!"

Edited by the_bandit on 06/04/2019 at 15:22

Ford Mondeo 2.0 ECOBOOST - Petrol - BSEN228 but different brand experience - focussed

From what you say there has to be there has to be something different about the formulation of the two fuels.

It sounds like it could be the old problem of supermarkets selling fuel at the end of it's storage life rearing it's head again.

It happened to me once with a motorcycle, having filled with supermarket fuel, misfiring, wouldn't idle properly, got some fresh UL98 into the tank, back to normal.

Read here about what happens to petrol when it's stored:-

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/fuels/opal-fuel/Opal-factsheet-storagehandling.pdf

Ford Mondeo 2.0 ECOBOOST - Petrol - BSEN228 but different brand experience - RT

From what you say there has to be there has to be something different about the formulation of the two fuels.

It sounds like it could be the old problem of supermarkets selling fuel at the end of it's storage life rearing it's head again.

It happened to me once with a motorcycle, having filled with supermarket fuel, misfiring, wouldn't idle properly, got some fresh UL98 into the tank, back to normal.

Read here about what happens to petrol when it's stored:-

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/fuels/opal-fuel/Opal-factsheet-storagehandling.pdf

Supermarkets usually have fresher fuel than branded stations, by virtue of their high throughput - in many areas the fuel is all drawn from one storage tank at the distribution and then brand-specific additives added later.

In the OP's case, it could be a high water content due to condensation in the filling station tank.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 ECOBOOST - Petrol - BSEN228 but different brand experience - focussed

"it could be a high water content due to condensation in the filling station tank"

But you said supermarkets have fresher fuel by virtue of their high throughput......?

Ford Mondeo 2.0 ECOBOOST - Petrol - BSEN228 but different brand experience - RT

"it could be a high water content due to condensation in the filling station tank"

But you said supermarkets have fresher fuel by virtue of their high throughput......?

The fuel is fresher - the condensation may have built up over time.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 ECOBOOST - Petrol - BSEN228 but different brand experience - Big John

I have a busy garage near me (ie petrol stock changed frequently) that my Superb hates (I won't name and shame though) - it's lumpy and hesitant with it. I simply avoid fuelling up there.

My Superb runs really well on Tesco Momentum so I generally fill up with this ( I have a few Tesco petrol stations around the country logged into my satnav!)

Edited by Big John on 07/04/2019 at 01:13

Ford Mondeo 2.0 ECOBOOST - Petrol - BSEN228 but different brand experience - the_bandit
I’d be hoping the tanks and tank management practices are up to scratch. The station is practically brand new!