What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New ford Focus - Petrol Particulate filter PPF - sammy1

Well it didn't take long, owner reports to HJ Agony column today that his new car is displaying a dash problem with the PPF. Ford assures him that the PPF is doing its job and basically to ignore the dash.

HJ advises the owner to fill up with top grade fuel and drive the first 5miles at 2000revs.

Who wants to own a New car like this, always being aware of the consequences of low revs or dash problems relating to emissions. I want to just jump in a car and expect it to do the job especially having paid some £25k for the privilege!

New ford Focus - Petrol Particulate filter PPF - skidpan

Ford assures him that the PPF is doing its job and basically to ignore the dash.

If that is true the garage (it will not be Ford but one of their agents) are compete idiots. Warning lights are there for a reason and you ignore them at your peril. Some are MOT failures.

HJ advises the owner to fill up with top grade fuel and drive the first 5miles at 2000revs.

That is a idiotic answer as well.

We all know that all fuel sold in the UK meets the standards required by all manufacturers and that spending more on an identical fuel is simply a waste of money.

"Driving 5 miles at 2000 rpm" sounds like advice for a car fitted with a DPF trying to force a regen. As far as I am aware PPF's don't work like that.

The simple and only correct answer is to take it to a Ford dealer and get them to fix it. If they won't or cannot then reject it as unserviceable.

New ford Focus - Petrol Particulate filter PPF - daveyK_UK
Seems to be a common fault

What are Ford playing at?

1.0 ecoboosts unreliable,
powershift autos unreliable,
first PPF fitted to one of their cars unreliable
And I haven’t mentioned the appauling paint quality of there transit range products that come out of Turkey.
Or that it’s taken them nearly 4 years to amend the design fault on lock of the Ford transit custom and tourneo custom which every car thief in Europe knows how to break into them in 20 seconds.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 10/03/2019 at 00:44

New ford Focus - Petrol Particulate filter PPF - gordonbennet
Seems to be a common fault What are Ford playing at?

Same as some other makers who repeatedly design and produce problems, so long as the public keeps buying into the hype, even when the maker involved fails dismally regularly with aftercare, they have no reason to up their game.

We on this forum know which makers to buy from and which to avoid, or (dis)trust, different answers depending on the type of vehicle and likely length of ownership, one size does not fit all, but we absolutely do know which makers to avoid.

Unfortunately people don't come here for HJ's advice, too often they make contact with HJ after the car they bought, seemingly without any research (and i don't mean what the mainstream advertising dependent motoring media tell them is the best handling or has the best connectivity or once voted car of the year) has proved to be yet another lemon with the same myriad faults that 2 minutes perusing HJ's reviews they would have discovered was likely.

We have people buying used who couldn't be bothered to look at the previous MOT's (takes seconds on the gov website) or pay a few quid for an online vehicle search on a vehicle they are about to spend many thousands of pounds on.

Personally i'm reaching the point of not bothering to answer some of the queries any more, and have in fact given up doing so on the constantly repeated same issues, we are in the internet age, 40 years ago you were buying blind up to a point unless you subscribed to mags like Car Mechanics, or were a decent home mechanic yourself, but there is no excuse for people to be finding out the hard way in 2019 in such numbers.

New ford Focus - Petrol Particulate filter PPF - skidpan

even when the maker involved fails dismally regularly with aftercare

In most cases its not the manufacturer at fault but the dealers who cannot be bothered.

We have been very lucky with aftersales. Our local Nissan dealer sorted a couple of issues with the Note with no quibble when others on the forum were complaining about their dealer wanting to charge a diagnostic fee before even considering a warranty claim. When the fault is an anti roll bar bush how on earth would a diagnostic help, all that is needed is a bar and a Mk 1 human eye.

But sales staff are a different matter. I think its fair to say that every make we have visited have managed to have a good share of the worlds idiots working for them (and that includes the Forum favourites Honda and Toyota). Since we now buy via a Broker we do not have to suffer such idiots.

New ford Focus - Petrol Particulate filter PPF - Big John

PPF, GPF, OPF (Particulate filters for petrol cars) technologies are new to market as of last year - myself I'll wait a while until any teething design gremlins are ironed out. It is supposed to be simpler as because of the higher combustion temps only passive regen should be needed - time will tell .....

Some cars with port fuel injection are not fitted with particulate filters - er yet.

Some early DPF implementations were awful - most seem to be sorted these days.

Edited by Big John on 10/03/2019 at 21:27