What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - hunterex

I drive Honda Jazz 2010 model semi-automatic.

When I stop at a road with slope (hilly), I apply my parking brake and switch my gear from A1 (automatic 1st gear) to N (Neutral).

When I am about to begin driving, I do the following steps:

1. Press the car brake pedal, switch the gear from N to A1.
  2. Press accelerating pedal to get car balancing.
  3. Once I feel the car has the momentum to drive, I release the parking brake and start driving.

At the end of step 3, I heard the tyre at the Near-Side of my car (not sure front or rear) makes some noise. I feel the noise coming from the front near-side.

Then the noise goes away when I continue driving.

That noise only shows when I start driving from a hilly road after applied parking brake.

I know my tyre at NSR (near-side rear) has 3mm tread and it is due

Questions: 1) Why there is noise from the near-side tyre? Should I be worried about it?

Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - gordonbennet

I'd have thought it more likely to be a brake dragging, ie slow to release, tyres don't really make noises at slow speed unless they are dragging (usually a rear) on a loose surface, again this would be most likely be a brake not releasing.

If the tyres need changing anyway an ideal time to get the brakes serviced, and yes it wants looking at, i suspect the parking brake is not releasing fully, or slowly, one side.

It can be difficult to pinpoint where noises are coming from, we once changed a front wheel bearing on a friends Peug 309, the noise came when cornering with the weight against that wheel, yet it turned out to be the inner bearing on the other wheel that was worn and grumbling on corners.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/03/2019 at 11:40

Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - Falkirk Bairn

Probably the brakes needing looked at.

When was the last time the brakes were looked at? I mean wheels off, pads out, pistons checked, greased, handbrake adjusted etc etc. It is not part of annual Honda service routine.

I get my local Indie to do a brake service every 2 years - he charges me 1 hour labour + anything needed - last time it was £100 as it needed new front pads.

Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - hunterex

Honda had checked my brake pad during my annual car service and it said my brake pad is 50% worn out.

Could the brake pad cause the noise?

Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - Falkirk Bairn

>>Honda had checked my brake pad during my annual car service

No the didn't!

Visual inspection only & a squirt of brake cleaner if you were lucky.

Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - gordonbennet

Honda had checked my brake pad during my annual car service and it said my brake pad is 50% worn out.

Could the brake pad cause the noise?

AS FB has noted, Honda service does not normally include proper strip clean lube servicing of the brakes, you can inspect them and squirt brake cleaner at them till the cows come home but unless someone with some nous removes those pads and cleans checks and lubes the pistons sliders and any self adjusting mechanisms and the parking brake system and cables, they have not been serviced.

Yes pads can cause noise, typically if the discs have rusted (usually disappears after a few brake applications), or if you get a stone trapped between the disc and pad, or especially if the pads are worn out and down to the metal (this noise would be permanent until new pads fitted) but your noise is regular and disappears in short order, which leads us to think its the tyre being dragged along the road for a short period that you are hearing.

You might find if you drove somewhere (using brakes as little as possible) and then feel carefully around the wheels that the offending wheel/hub assembly of the dragging brake is hotter than the others, be careful a hot brake disc will burn you badly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/03/2019 at 12:03

Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - 72 dudes

In my opinion, this sounds more like a noise coming from the rear brakes as you pull away.

By applying the accelerator before you release the handbrake, you are putting the handbrake under unnecessary strain. This may be how you were taught to drive but with practice you should be able to pull away while simultaneously releasing the handbrake.

It could be the brakes are sticking slightly on the near side, they might need some attention or a proper wheel-off cleaning.

Take it to a trusted local independent garage (or your Honda dealer if you still use one) but avoid the fast fit centres like National and Kwik Fit as you might be talked into new pads and discs all round.

Honda Jazz - Why the tyre at near-side kerb makes noise? - ExNHS

I had a Jazz 2010 i-shift for 5 years before giving it to my daughter.

The OP is not using the best method for starting off on hills.

The hill-hold does not work if the handbrake is applied and gears in N.

By all means put it in N, and handbrake on, but when traffic starts to move a couple of cars ahead, or lights are about to change-you can anticipate this-

Engage D-apply footbrake-release hand brake.

When wishing to move-transfer R foot to accelerator and press-you will move off.

Revving the engine in D before releasing handbrake will wear the clutch out.

The noise reported needs to be checked to confirm.

My Indie (for last 35 yrs, boy-man) always checks the operation of the brake calipers-esp the rears which get little use if you don't have the habit of braking heavily-which I don't.

Final advice -RTFM, and don't take much notice of opinions posted by people who have not owned the model.