What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - Matt Thrower

Went to test drive a 2016 petrol CR-V SE+ today. Found it much more responsive than the 1.6 diesel and am considering a purchase. Our existing car is a month away from new tax & MOT and I'd prefer to get a new one before then if possible.

However the car is newer than we wanted and thus more expensive - it's up at £15,885. Originally we were offered £350 part exchange for our clapped out old C-MAX. But after some discussion we got the dealer down to 15k for the car, (including part exchange) plus tax plus a tank of fuel.

We've got tonight to think it over.

15k is still 1k more than the top of our original budget. The salesman said these models are popular and sell well and it might be some time before another near our price range became available. Searching Honda used cars suggests this is at least partly true. If we reject this deal and wait, we may end up buying from the same dealer so it'd be better to keep them onside.

This is a Honda dealer & we'd prefer to have an "approved car" over one from a non-branded forecourt partly because you get better history, warranty etc and partly because there are no large independent dealers around us.

I have read on AutoTrader that negotiation nowadays is unlikely to bring big gains - that salesmen increasingly price cars close to market worth. This this correct? Should we be holding out for a better discount or an older car, even with the risk of annoying the dealer or having to renew the MOT?

Edited by Matt Thrower on 02/02/2019 at 21:28

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - SLO76
It’s a bit overpriced but then late petrol examples are quite limited in numbers compared to the much more popular diesels. The 2.0 petrol revs quicker and is a sweet and very reliable engine but it lacks torque and is nowhere near as economical as even the base 1.6 diesel which is available in greater numbers and at better prices even approved used.

That said if it’s low mileage and immaculate and you want a petrol I don’t think you’ll get one that much cheaper and what’s a few hundred quid over a longterm ownership anyway. This will provide utterly dependable transport in comfort but don’t expect much better than 35mpg compared to the 1.6 diesels 55mpg.
Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - Avant

Only you will be able to judge (a) what you can afford, and (b) whether the CR-V fits your needs.

If £15,000 is too steep, look at Cars for Sale on this site. I've just had a look and there are plenty of petrol CR-Vs at lower prices (plenty of diesel ones too, but you said in your previous thread that you do a lowish mileage).

Have you had a test drive? You'd need to make sure it's OK going up the hills that you talked about.

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - Matt Thrower

Yes, we took it for a drive and it was fine on the hills. Much better than our current vehicle.

We can afford the extra money. It's about whether it's worth it. I see no great advantage in owning a 2016 car over a 2015 one which would save 10% on the price. It's more whether it's worth waiting when these vehicles do seem to be relatively rare.

We haven't tried a petrol CX-5. Although comparatively common, there's just none around here right now. The local Mazda dealer wasn't terribly helpful in trying to borrow one from another dealer. By the time we'd take to find one, this Honda will likely be sold - it was borrowed from another dealer itself, in fact. They seem about 1k cheaper than the CV-R for equivalent age and trim models, presumably becuase they're easier to find?

Thanks for the advice again. This does seem to be a very friendly and helpful community .

Edited by Matt Thrower on 03/02/2019 at 00:07

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - gordonbennet

My son and family, they have has since emigrated, bought a low mileage 13 plate CRV petrol which they all liked, fast enough and returned some mid 30's MPG on general running about.

They were however thankful that it came with a full Honda Approved used warranty, the car had only covered middle 30k miles but the aircon compressor failed, apparently this is more common than it should be and would have been around £1500 fix at the dealer, also a rear wheel bearing failed shortly after, some £400.

So i would suggest Honda Approved used if you want one of these and maybe see if you can negotiate a second year's Honda warranty as part of the deal.

My sons car is now owned by one of my colleagues who is retiring shortly, it has just flown through its MOT and they are very pleased with it.

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - 72 dudes

Only 2 at Honda dealers around here: 25 mile radius.

First is a white 2015 (65) at £14500, 28k miles.

Second is a metallic red 2015 (15) with just 15k miles at £15k.

Offer them £14500 with your car, but if you like it and don't want to risk waiting, then go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - Robbie

I have been a Honda fan and wanted to replace my 62 reg CR-V EX 2.2 i-DTEC with the latest CR-V. Unfortunately, Honda decided not to provide a diesel engine for the new model. Reluctantly, I bought a new Volvo V60 D4 and received £12,250 for my Honda in part-ex.

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - KB.

My son and family, they have has since emigrated, bought a low mileage 13 plate CRV petrol which they all liked, fast enough and returned some mid 30's MPG on general running about.

They were however thankful that it came with a full Honda Approved used warranty, the car had only covered middle 30k miles but the aircon compressor failed, apparently this is more common than it should be and would have been around £1500 fix at the dealer, also a rear wheel bearing failed shortly after, some £400.

So i would suggest Honda Approved used if you want one of these and maybe see if you can negotiate a second year's Honda warranty as part of the deal.

I've said this before (and don't recall anyone taking any notice) but I'll say it again .... take a look at the number of big red crosses listed in HJ's "What's good and what's bad" and then tell me why the CRV is so popular. I would imagine the answer is that so few people look at HJ's reviews in comparison to the number bought, sold and owned - plus the big red crosses can't be so widespread or serious as to as to come to the notice of the vast majority. Or, alternatively, they DO keep going wrong but because it's a Honda, no-one owns up to it.

I've occasionally looked at HRV forums and seem to recall it's not all sweetness and light there - but I have to say I had a 2005 Jazz from new that didn't miss a beat (and I wish I'd never sold it and bought, what was, by comparison, a new horrible, 2009 manual, Hyundai i10 instead).

Edited by KB. on 03/02/2019 at 15:24

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - Mike H

I've said this before (and don't recall anyone taking any notice) but I'll say it again .... take a look at the number of big red crosses listed in HJ's "What's good and what's bad" and then tell me why the CRV is so popular. I would imagine the answer is that so few people look at HJ's reviews in comparison to the number bought, sold and owned - plus the big red crosses can't be so widespread or serious as to as to come to the notice of the vast majority. Or, alternatively, they DO keep going wrong but because it's a Honda, no-one owns up to it.

If you look closely, most of the big red crosses refer to one incident being reported by one person, which therefore doesn't indicate a widespread problem. So your comment re problems not being widespread or serious is correct.

Being on my first CR-V, I have no axe to grind and am quite happy to own up to nay issues, but I have to say that apart from regular servicing it has cost nothing in repairs to this point at 87,000km/3.5 years old). It has had one of the faults mentioned in the "Good and Bad", and that is clutch judder from cold. This can be avoided by using slightly higher revs when manouvering. The only "fault" it has, which also exists on even the latest version of the CR-V, is the failure to display speed limits correctly on the satnav display, so it's obviously something to do with data supplied to the inbuilt Garmin satnav. It's a good car which just gets on with the job (I've reviewed it under "Owners Reviews"), and we're currently looking at replacing it with a CR-V hybrid.

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - Warning

I went to test drive a car (with an appointment), but they did not have any. I was furious as I had phone for an appointment, so they reluctantly let me drive one, which was n't prepared.

The car was absolutely dirty inside. The back seat was full of chocolate wrappers and crisps and it looked like the parents let their children do what they liked. So don't assume, that a car at a dealership is one which has been better looked after then one in a private forecourt.

I am sure, the dealer will valet the car, and all the sins will be hidden.

You should focus on getting a 'good example' of a car, rather then one from a dealership.

A couple of days ago I posted (or at least, attempted to post) a note about the CRV - I said something like ... why would anyone who had read the (rather long) list of negatives on HJ's review continue to buy one? I probably said it's because not everyone reads his reviews - probably a significant minority of the overall ownership - otherwise I'd have thought most would be put off buying one after looking at all the apparent problems he mentions.

It reads like a nightmare to me - but they're so popular that I just assume the list relates mainly to the minority who write in to complain rather than the silent majority who don't.

(Edit: Sorry KB, both posts are showing now. For some reason known only to its stupid little self, the software is occasionally hiding genuine postjs becauise it 'thinks' they are spam. Fortunately I can see when a post is hidden and can reinstate it. Our ever-helpful IT guru Kalpesh is on the case and is trying to sort it out.)

Edited by Avant on 06/02/2019 at 17:31

A couple of days ago I posted (or at least, attempted to post) a note about the CRV - I said something like ... why would anyone who had read the (rather long) list of negatives on HJ's review continue to buy one? I probably said it's because not everyone reads his reviews - probably a significant minority of the overall ownership - otherwise I'd have thought most would be put off buying one after looking at all the apparent problems he mentions.

It reads like a nightmare to me - but they're so popular that I just assume the list relates mainly to the minority who write in to complain rather than the silent majority who don't.

(Edit: Sorry KB, both posts are showing now. For some reason known only to its stupid little self, the software is occasionally hiding genuine postjs becauise it 'thinks' they are spam. Fortunately I can see when a post is hidden and can reinstate it. Our ever-helpful IT guru Kalpesh is on the case and is trying to sort it out.)

Thankingtons, Avant.

Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - SLO76
“You should focus on getting a 'good example' of a car, rather then one from a dealership.”

Agree but the only way to ensure this is to buy privately direct from the previous owner which isn’t without its risks and limits choice especially at this sort of money.

Approved used cars aren’t always perfect especially when they first arrive at dealers but they have to measure up to a higher standard than the norm once prepared. Doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t thoroughly check any prospective purchase but as long as it has been serviced correctly and the valet shop cleans it thoroughly (you’d be amazed at how they can turn a car around) then it doesn’t matter if the last owner was a bit untidy.

Poor show on whoever took your test drive appointment for not having a car ready. He/she has lost a sale by letting you sit in a manky motor which had it been through a full valet might have suited you fine.
Honda CR-V - How negotiable are costs nowadays - or wait? - coopshere
OP if you are thinking of waiting for the right one to come along instead of paying a bit more now then beware that come brexit prices may increase if no deal is made. There are likely to be higher tariffs imposed on new vehicle imports which will have a knock on effect to pre owned cars.