Car suitable for taller driver - Paul Cliff
Happy New Year everyone

This year I will on the lookout for a replacement car for my commute to work (25 miles per day in town driving) but as I am turning 40 in 6 months I want something fun to drive for under £12k.

But after having problems with my back over Christmas it may have to be something more sensible; which is a shame as I had my heart set on a Toyota GT86.

Also I am 6ft4” so most cars are ruled out due to my 36” inside leg.

I have a family to look after so can’t afford anything with a high tax bracket or thirsty on fuel and needs to be no older than 5 years old.

My current car is a Toyota Yaris which is limited on comfort as I drive with a small pillow for lumbar support.

These cars are what I like at present:

2015 Mazda 3 2.0 Petrol Sport-Nav
2014 Audi A3 1.4 TSI Sport (Sportback)
2015 Seat Leon 1.4 TFSI FR Tech

I do like the Honda CRZ but not sure on fit and comfortableness.

My wife’s car is a Honda CRV Auto so wouldn’t mind an auto as long as it’s reliable and good enough for my commute.

Any help would be most helpful.
Car suitable for taller driver - SLO76
You’ve already shortlisted two of my favourites at this money, the Mazda 3 and Leon FR. As long as you avoid the Seat with the DSG box both should provide entertaining but reliable and economical transport for many years. I’m not a fan of Audi’s, it’s essentially the same car underneath as the more honest Leon but you’ll get less spec, usually less power and you’ll pay more. But there’s no reason not to test drive all three.
Car suitable for taller driver - RT

My son is 6'6" with most of his height in his legs - he comfortably drives a Skoda Octavia estate - before that he had a Vauxhall Vectra-C estate and a Vauxhall Astra-G with no issues - even earlier he drove SWMBO's Vauxhall Nova but that was knees up round the steering wheel.

Car suitable for taller driver - Paul Cliff
I used to drive a Skoda Octavia about 15 years ago and it was great to drive and very spacious. At the moment I don’t want a too big car as we have the CRV for that.

I’d like a small car but my size and lack of comfort permits me to a bigger car like the Mazda 3.

My friend has a VW Scirocco and is 6ft6 but I do prefer a Jap car now having had them for the last 12 years... Honda’s & Toyota’s.

The Seat Leon Sc does look very nice though.....
Car suitable for taller driver - brettmick

I could have posted this!

I'm 6'3 at a bit with a 35.5 inside leg. I had a Yaris but when I turned 43 a couple of years ago suffered hip and knee problems when I went from using it as a runaround to having to do longer journeys. I did loads of research as the best drivers seat in the world, that of a Saab, went pop thanks to GM. I owned a 9-3 for three years and still miss that seat, not so much other aspects of the car...

The best seat I found for my "work car" was a Volvo V40 in R Design trim, I leased a 2016 facelift T2 for four years and it's doing me very nicely. My six year old can just sit behind me when I drive but no bigger than him. We have a Zafira as the family bus which has a terrible driver's seat. Surprisingly Kia were next, the Ceed seat being very decent in some trims. Leon seats bottomed out, an Avensis didn't get the steering wheel close enough to me (I had to lean forward or loose leg space) while other V40 size cars just didn't have seats that went far enough back.

Car suitable for taller driver - JF1975

Another tall driver vote for the Volvo V40.

I am 6 foot 5 and find the driving position excellent. We have a 7 year old but he simply sits behind the passenger seat . Even so I don't actually have my seat all the way back.

I am considering my next car currently and have taken some salient advice on this forum but have also not ruled out another v40. Mine is r design but you can pick up a t2 petrol momentum 6 months old for not much above your budget. The moment um trim is very well equipped and doesn't miss out on too much. I personally think the wheels look superb too.