What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus. 1.6 manual. Zetec. - Oil leak, to right of engine - Delysher

Bought the above car from car garage dealer 22 October 2018.Theirs an oil leak that has been present weeks and prior to purchasing car in Mon 22Oct 2018. Oil leak is showing on road surface.

Any idea what it might be and costs involved in fixing the leak.

Ford Focus. 1.6 manual. Zetec. - Oil leak, to right of engine - Oli rag
Is it engine oil or gearbox oil?

Have you taken it back for the dealer to look at? You need to give them a chance to repair rather than taking it to a third party to sort.

Took back to garage where purchased and guys at garage said its nothing to do with them for me to claim on RAC Mechanical Warranty which came with car when purchased ???

Not told me what the problem is with car and oil leak

Took back to garage where purchased and guys at garage said its nothing to do with them for me to claim on RAC Mechanical Warranty which came with car when purchased ???

Not told me what the problem is with car and oil leak

Ford Focus. 1.6 manual. Zetec. - Oil leak, to right of engine - Galaxy

Hmmmm, not very helpful!

Aftermarket warranties don't usually cover problems which existed at the time of sale, which I'm assuming, this did.

I'm just wondering whether your oil leak could be coming out from the camshaft cover gasket? The Zetec engine on my Mondeo leaked from here for years! I never got around to fixing it, I just remembered to top the oil level up when necessary.

I'd go back to the dealer again. However, I don't know what type of organisation you're faced with here, so I can well appreciate you may not want to. They've just fobbed you off so far.

Ford Focus. 1.6 manual. Zetec. - Oil leak, to right of engine - Big John

Take it back straight away - you have a right to reject the car in the first 30 days, Act quickly!!!! It's everything to do with the dealer - you have rights!!:-

www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

The Consumer Rights Act 2015

The Consumer Rights Act came into force on 1 October 2015 and covers the purchase of goods, digital content and services including new and used cars from official dealers (it doesn't apply to private sales) as well as servicing, repairs and maintenance work.

Faults, repairs and refunds

First 30 days:- Under the new act, if a fault renders the product not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described, then the buyer is entitled to reject it within the first 30 days.

Between 30 days and 6 months - If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.Unless you’ve agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you’re entitled to a refund. In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller may make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you’ve had of the vehicle.

After 6 months - The burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time of delivery if you want to pursue a claim for repair or replacement.

Edited by Big John on 19/11/2018 at 21:07