What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.2TDCi - Car Temp Gauge fluctuating - mcl896b

So,

Having had a terrible experience with a Nissan Pathfinder and head gaskets and cylinder heads, I tend to be a little more aware of where the temp gauge is on my Mondeo. Today on the way back from a fairly long trip, I noticed that when the car was at low revs, the temperature guage dropped to almost 60 (the temp gauge has 60 at the cold end and 120 at the warm end). Normally the car sits stable at around the middle part (presumably about 90) regardless of where the throttle is. On this occasion it would fall slowly, but noticeably, and then rise when the throttle was applied to normal temperature.

I've not noted this before, and am concerned that I might be looking at another head gasket failure if I don't identify the fault soonish and rectify it... I am wondering if the thermostat might be bad, and while I know they are cheap, theyre a b***** to get to on this engine so want to be sure before I start taking the intake manifold apart...

Any pointers gratefully appreciated!

Al

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.2TDCi - Car Temp Gauge fluctuating - elekie&a/c doctor

These engines do not have a poor history for h/g failure. I assume the coolant level is correct. Over cooling of the engine is often caused by the oil cooler thermostat. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-FORD-MONDEO-MK3-III-2...0

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.2TDCi - Car Temp Gauge fluctuating - mcl896b

These engines do not have a poor history for h/g failure. I assume the coolant level is correct. Over cooling of the engine is often caused by the oil cooler thermostat. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-FORD-MONDEO-MK3-III-2...0

h/g failure? Sorry, my mechanical empathy can be measured in fractions of a thimble...

Sorry... ignore me... head gasket...

I've managed to find the main thermostate, where is the oil cooler thermostat. Might just bite the bullet and replace both...

Edited by mcl896b on 27/10/2018 at 23:01

Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.2TDCi - Car Temp Gauge fluctuating - JONATHAN_11_80

Our cmax 1.6 tdci temp drops when left idling in cold weather. I always assumed this was because diesels are more thermally effcient than petrol engines.