Audi A5 - Fuel economy - confusedbuyer
Ok so modern cars are obviously great and all, but I am really struggling to understand how my Audi A5 2.0 TFSi S Tronic is so economical? As it’s passed 15k miles it’s really stepped up.

Over the last 2000 miles (a mix of Manchester congestion, and motorways) I am averaging 43mpg. 10 years ago I didn’t get that from a Ford Focus 1.6 petrol. On longer journeys I am getting 52mpg - again our Volvo V40 1.6 diesel only we had before used to get about 59-60 on the same trip.

How are petrols so economical these days?!
Audi A5 - Fuel economy - 72 dudes

I think petrol cars and VAG group TFSi engines have improved in fuel efficiency over the last ten years, but probably not dramatically so.

How are you measuring your MPG? Brim to brim over a number of tank re-fills or going by what the lying fuel computer tells you?

The fuel computer on our Q3 1.4 TFSi S-Tronic is distinctly optimistic - 39 on the computer turns out to be 36.5 when calculated brim to brim. I can often see low 50's on a gentle run but again, averaged out, it's not so spectacular.

Having said that, 43 on your A5 is believable and a good result. I had two of VAGs 1.8L 150BHP turbo engines (pre TFSi days) in a row, one in a Passat and the next in an Audi A6. I used to keep spreadsheets on MPG and the Passat managed 35.7, the A6 34.9 in my hands. Both were slightly above the "official" published figures at the time. These would seem comparatively poor today.

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - Andrew-T

The fuel computer on our Q3 1.4 TFSi S-Tronic is distinctly optimistic - 39 on the computer turns out to be 36.5 when calculated brim to brim. I can often see low 50's on a gentle run but again, averaged out, it's not so spectacular.

I would say the best way to get a scientifically accurate measure of a car's consumption is to monitor over a long period (at least 4 fills) and plot a graph. Brim-to-brim is OK but still rather approximate. Trading Standards should ensure that most pumps deliver accurate litres, but you should also check the miles that your odometer measures .... :-)

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - gordonbennet

but you should also check the miles that your odometer measures .... :-)

A good point and one which many people don't think of, if your speedometer is optimistic by several percent why would the odometer not be the same.

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - Andrew-T

but you should also check the miles that your odometer measures .... :-)

A good point and one which many people don't think of, if your speedometer is optimistic by several percent why would the odometer not be the same.

I think for the obvious reason that the speedo is legally required to read zero under, and up to 10% over, the true speed - to ensure that no-one can genuinely believe they aren't speeding. Truly measured miles don't matter that much. All the Pug 205s I have owned have overestimated miles by several percent - I used to think that the French makers just changed the gearing by a factor of 5:3 instead of 8:5 :-)

My present car's speedo indicates a few per-cent over, but the measured miles are pretty accurate. Small inaccuracy will develop as tyres wear down, and of course people who change their tyres or wheel sizes can make a bigger difference.

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - Avant

Trip computers can indeed be optimistic, but Confusedbuyer's figures are quite believable. We have a 2.0 petrol Audi Q2 which gives low 30s mpg in town and 40-42 on long runs (only 7,000 miles up so far so it may get even better), and a 1.4 petrol A1 giving 45 in town and up to 55 on long runs (16,000 miles up).

I think Skidpan gets similar results from a 1.4 in a bigger car.

Presumably something to do with the design of the engine, which someone with more mechanical knowledge than mine may be able to explain. Are there other consistently economical petrol engines?

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - Tester

Consistently economical? Well, I suspect it's not quite so good as the latest VAG turbo petrols but the 1.2 turbo in my Auris has been pretty consistently respectable in the year that I've had it (now at a total mileage of just over 27,000, not all in my ownership). Averaging around 48 mpg over the year on a mixture of driving, biased towards high-speed roads. The best brim-to-brim figure that I had was 56 but that was unusual circumstances and a shade over 50 is the 'normal best'. I've never done a tankful on just urban driving but would expect at least low 40s, just going by what the computer says on a run into town.

For info, I always use V-Power.

Edited by Tester on 01/10/2018 at 17:50

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - skidpan

We are on our 3rd VAG TSi now.

None have been a 2.0 but all are incredible good.

First was a Seat Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS. It replaced a BMW 118D that averaged about 47 mpg over 5 years, the Seat averaged 46 mpg in the same use and on a run would do 52 mpg.

2nd is a Skkda Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS. It replaced the Seat. Despite being much bigger its averaging about 45 mpg overall and on a holiday road trip we have seen as much as 55 mpg over 1000 miles. We had a Mondeo 2.0 TDCi some years ago, similar size to the Superb, similar performance but despite being a diesel it would only average in the high 30's and just touch 50 mpg on a road trip.

Wife now has a 1.0 TSi Skoda Fabia 110 PS. Its a similar size to the Mk 3 Golf TDi 90 PS she had some years ago but its much quicker. Overall its doing 50 mpg, on a run we have seen 60 mpg. Its only 4 months old so it will get better. The Golf averaged low 40's overall and would do about 56 mpg on a long run.

All the above are calculated. The Skodas dash displays are very close to the truth (about 1/2 a mpg in both cases) but the Seat read high and the VW Golf was a complete liar.

Just enjoy the Audi, we have never had it so good.

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - Big John

The Skodas dash displays are very close to the truth

My mkII Superb 1.4tsi dash display also surprisingly accurate (measured average 45.7mpg thus far).

I know someone with a diesel version of my mkII where the dash display is somewhat optimistic.

Previous mk I Superb 1.9 pd was about 4mpg pessimistic! (real circa 50mpg).

Edited by Big John on 01/10/2018 at 22:36

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - Engineer Andy

I suspect a lot of the discrpancies even between cars from the same make are due to the differences in tyre circumference - it may well be (for example) that a particular model in general is set up for 205/55 R16 tyres, but higher end models may be shod with lower profile 17in or 18in tyres, which by law can vary up to 2% in their rolling circumference from the original one that the car's odometer etc was calibrated on.

Whether makes do this for just one or representative wheel and tyre combos across a model range or every combination of wheel and tyre fitted when new, I'm not sure. I suspect the former.

In addition, as has been said, odometers , like speedos, are probably calibrated to slightly over-read and are also affected by the small variation due to tyre wear.

The brim-to-brim method is fine only if you use it on an overall total basis like I do, i.e. keep a running total of miles and fuel used up to your last fill up and calculate the mpg based on that alone. My Mazda3 1.6 petrol averages 40.5mpg over the year, varying from mid 30s in town/winter to as much as 46 on long runs in late spring or early autumn when the A/C or heater isn't required.

Mine gets higher than the HJ Real MPG figure because a) I'm a light-footed driver (not slow) and b) the vast majority (distance wise) of my driving is done on dual carriageways, motorways and fast-flowing single carriageway roads.

From reading up on the subject, and it appears that it affects some VAG petrol engines and mostly those earlier generation TSi/FSi engines, that significant improvements in mpg were, initially at least, at the expense of far heavier usage of oil - I remember seeing people write in to HJ's column and on the Good and Bad section of the reviews about such VAG turbo petrol cars regularly having to have oil top ups, some even every 1000 miles.

I believe John Cadogan has done a technical video on his YT site about what they did in this regard. I suspect that most of the more serious 'issues' regarding excessive oil use have now been resolved, as reports of such problems on the newer generation TSi engines seems to have reduced significantly. Its likely nowadays to be a small trade off (a small about, if any) of oil top ups required against 10%+ better mpg (as well as better responsiveness of the engine) than a N/A engine of equivalent performance.

Even if the OP's figures use the trip computer and its even 10% inaccurate (high), that would still mean they are achieving 38-39mpg, barely different to what I am in a smaller, lighter (100kg) car with a 1.6 N/A petrol engine that produces 30% higher CO2 emissions (test figures).

Admitedly VAG's TSi petrol engines are probably the best on mpg across turbo petrols (as they've been making such smaller capacity engines far longer than most other makes), blending both performance, mpg and low emissions (no defeat devices for them), Fords and Vauxhalls not so good on the mpg front with other makes in between.

It also shows progress in R&D that my old K11 (mid 90s) Nissan Micra 1.0 petrol had a listed ave. mpg of about 47mpg, again, under similar driving conditions, I managed to achieve 52mpg, but that's not much better than many C-sector cars achieve now, and the Micra only weighed about 750-800kg as opposed to 1200-1400kg for most current C-sector cars, and whose performance even with a relatively light right foot absolutely smokes the Micra.

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - skidpan

that significant improvements in mpg were, initially at least, at the expense of far heavier usage of oil - I remember seeing people write in to HJ's column and on the Good and Bad section of the reviews about such VAG turbo petrol cars regularly having to have oil top ups, some even every 1000 miles.

As I said above, we are on our 3rd TSi since 2013, over 5 years. Not added a spot of oil yet. The 1.8 TSI's I seem to remember were drinkers but don't think they use that engine in anything in the UK now. The last I remember was the Seat Leon and it was a pointless buy, little quicker than a 1.4 TSi, cost more to buy and it used far more petrol.

Edited by skidpan on 02/10/2018 at 15:21

Audi A5 - Fuel economy - nailit

Seeing the same in a Mazda 6 petrol 165PS sport, 2015, I average overall 44mpg, calculated over 2 years using Brim-to-brim (well as near as I dare) fill ups. Which is not much different to what the dash says.

Most miles in a year are urban to local shops with 3 or 4 long runs. Now in the third year, long runs have seen dash indicating 49 mpg and even 50.x at times. This 'average' reading drops as more shopping trips become the norm, to the worst yet 43 mpg.

From April 2018 to Sept 2018 I averaged tank to tank measures 51.56 mpg but I suspect maybe an error in not filling quite to the 'brim' point, but the overall averages are good figures.

Oh, and no oil usage evident.
These mpg figures are actually better than some Mazda 6 diesel owner 's, especially the ones with an auto box. Ok I do drive with a light foot, and no commuting traffic miles. I'm still pleased with the car and shall probably keep it, due the MOT soon so fingers crossed.