What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus mk1 - Mk1 focus clutch slip - S40 Man

Got a lift in my bosses beat up mk1 ficus 1.6petrol estate today. She has been complaining about clutch slip. Symptoms are revs increasing dispraportionally to road speec in low gears. In 4th 5th it goes along quite nicely. There was also a burning smell in the cockpit??

It's just gone over the 200k mark and doesn't owe her anything. The bodywork has lots of parking dinks but it's largely rusty free and the engine seemed OK). I presume it may be the original clutch. Anyone know:

a) know how much a new clutch might be?

B) care to suggest if it's worth doing, the car must be essentially worthless

C) suggestion for replacement. Ideally an estate for around £2_3k she does tip runs with all our lab/office waste and for home jobs too.

She already has a slightly less beat up 02 reg corsa

Ford focus mk1 - Mk1 focus clutch slip - SLO76
Rough estimate on a clutch depending on who does it around £300-£400. If the car is as you say tatty with 200k up then it’s on borrowed time and could let her down at any time. I’d get shot of it if funds allow.

As for a replacement well the best small estate for that money would be another Focus, a decent Mk II with the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol is a fantastic budget family car. However most small estates are workhorses and often utterly abused so while it’s a good car I’d open the search to include hatchbacks which will give more options.

The Mazda 3 1.6 petrol is a great small hatch but a bit smaller in the boot. The Toyota Corolla is another good bet as is the Honda Civic which has loads of room inside. An Astra Estate is a bit bland but does what it says on the tin if you can find a good one and again as with everything at this money avoid the diesels.

Ford focus mk1 - Mk1 focus clutch slip - John F

Got a lift in my bosses beat up mk1 ficus 1.6petrol estate today. She has been complaining about clutch slip. Symptoms are revs increasing dispraportionally to road speec in low gears. In 4th 5th it goes along quite nicely. There was also a burning smell in the cockpit??

Certainly sounds like hot clutch plate, but they usually slip more in high gears than low gears when failing. Suggest drive it till it's undriveable then scrap.

She already has a slightly less beat up 02 reg corsa

I do hope your remuneration is not comparable to her company's motor expenses.

Ford focus mk1 - Mk1 focus clutch slip - Peter.N.

If you are prepared to drive it gently and not let the clutch slip it could last for some time - it will also improve your fuel consumption.

Ford focus mk1 - Mk1 focus clutch slip - S40 Man

No I do OK salary wise thanks. I just don't think she chosea to spend money on cars. We all have our priorities and cars aren't hers. I think she may plug on with it until it actually stood working.

Thanks for all the suggestions.