What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - oldroverboy.

A close friend recently took his car into a fast fit centre for 2 new tyres.( went to take him to collect)

was advised of leaking rear shock absorber, said to staff. it'll be covered by warranty.. (it was) staff at tyre centre said no it wouldn't was wear and tear. well said friend one has just been replaced and the other will be too. no it won't. said thank you, did not wait for tracking to be checked....

left.. has now had a note from franchise main dealer who booked it in to check, and did not charge....to forward to fastfit centre saying nothing wrong with shock absorbers, no weeping. brakes which were said to be half worn,, fronts 7mm, tiny lip on discs, no reason to do anything. rears 9mm.

Complaint raised with trading standards who were very interested.

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - focussed

All this blatant deception would stop if a specimen prosecution resulted in someone getting a large fine and 6 months inside for fraud. The fast fit frauds seem to think they are above the law, a conviction would wake them up to the fact that they are not.

I've had the leaking shock scam tried on me at mot time - I dived straight underneath in my overalls as I had just come from work to pick the car up and there was no sign of leakage. I had words and a pass was issued - this was before the days of the electronic computer game that is today's mot procedure.

Has been contacted by Company concerned

"who wish him to have a discussion with the branch concerned and the Area manager to resolve any issues"

Copy of reply.

I am very sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced at our ******** Depot.

Reply to email...

I have passed your details on to the Centre and Regional Manager to investigate and make contact with you. They will work together and contact you regarding your complaint.

Friend is fuming

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - Falkirk Bairn

Summer 2017 car was serviced at Honda Franchise - note on servicing - we will call you in October/November as you will need pads on the front. No lights on so let that passed.

February getting 4 x new tyres - tyre man says - you are needing pads on the front. No lights on so let it pass.

In yesterday for a BIG service my Indie fitted pads on the front - passed it's MOT with no advisories but he thought he'd change them to save me coming back in say January. As he was doing a full wheels off brake service the only extra was Honda pads @ £52 - nothing extra as slipping in new pads or old pads takes the same time.

So I have had 16 months on my worn out pads which could have lasted another 4/5 months!

Repeat that trick x 27 million cars & that is a lot of money which could "brake the bank"! for some car owners on a tight budget.

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - Manatee

Standard with some dealers I suspect. I'd a Honda CRV that, at 12,500 miles, I was told would need pads soon. I did 75,000 miles on those pads and even then they weren't worn out.

Fast Fit centre Head office were informed monday that on manufacturer inspection no fault was found with shock absorbers and a document was issued to reflect that. A vehicle health check. As a courtesy the Dealer did not charge him.

On Tuesday Fast Fit centre HO say that they would like to inspect the vehicle again...at a convenient time. inferring that main dealer is ,,,,,, and that no written offer of work was given...

Friend has advised of a claim in small claims court for reasonable costs in dealing with many phone cals, emails to date and time wasted in pursuing.

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - Manatee

Why on earth do they think he would be interested in letting them inspect his car?

Why on earth do they think he would be interested in letting them inspect his car?

We have been discussing this today, and he has refused, saying they are welcome to inspect the car at the main dealers.

We have been discussing this today, and he has refused, saying they are welcome to inspect the car at the main dealers.

The main dealer has said that there will be a charge for a second inspection, there should have been for the 1st, but waived as a courtesy, and he has indicated to Fastfitco that they will be expected to pay for this.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 19/09/2018 at 20:34

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - barney100

Shocks need replacing very soon said mot man. Next year and the year after no mention from same garage on shocks. Same lot on my other car, headlight needs adjusting, ok says I. Ten minutes later 'we can't adjust headlight, the adjuster is broken' They said when I looked a bit bemused that they hoped I didn't think they broke it.

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - skidpan

1996 Golf TDi. At the 3rd service (30,000 miles) the dealer told us the front brake pads required changing. I said I would sort, checked that weekend, they we less than 1/2 worn, not happy. 40,000 miles, same again but I was able to assure him that in truth they were OK since I had checked before the service. 50,000 miles they were still fine but after the service he told us we were in imminent danger of loosing brakes, simply ignored him. At 60,000 they made no mention but shortly after that service I did change them since its nicer to do the work in Summer than on a wet drive. They still had life, probably gone to 70,000 safely but decided I had had good value form them.

Dealer has changed hands twice since, no idea if they still try and pull the same tricks.

Took Micra in for service and MOT. Rang me at 0930 to say car had passed MOT and would be ready to collect as arranged. After lunch they rang again to tell me the rear tyres were bald and needed replacing. I said to the person on the phone that I was surprised since it had passed its MOT earlier in the morning at their own workshop, the line went silent. When I went to collect the car I asked to speak to the service manager and made sure there was a nice queue behind me. I told him what had happened and he looked embarrassed and went away. He came back with the excuse that the person that had rung after lunch had given me the wrong message, what he should have said was the tyres would need replacing before the next service.

The words lying and bar-steward fitted him perfectly.

Edited by skidpan on 20/09/2018 at 18:09

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - Ethan Edwards

The moral of this tale appears to be inspect the car yourself before going to Mr Fast Bloke isn't it. I've been lucky. I buy tyres from an online tyre retail company "Very Dark Coloured round shapes" (nicely anonimised there). The company has preferred fitting centre's and the one I use in Basildon has always been superb and I would recommend them without hesitation. Perhaps readers should use that route to find their own honest local traders. They are out there.

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - John F

Front brake pads should last roughly 50,000 depending how you drive. With around 10mm of useable thickness, that's around 5000m per millimetre. So if you are an average driver (8000m per annum), if the most worn is at least as thick as the backplate (which is about 4mm thick), they should last another couple of years before you are told to change them (MoT requirement is at least 1.5mm), unless the caliper mechanism is sticky and it's wearing faster than it should (see gb's excellent advice on brake maintenance on the 'worn brakepads' thread). And, as has been discussed in that thread, you will not have lost much braking power even when the the first metallic scraping sound indicates that one of them has worn away completely.

Too early brake pad and disc replacement is one of the major sources of income (short and long-term) for unscrupulous garages. Long term, because the caliper piston never gets to travel anywhere near its full service length, its distal unused cylinder wall is more prone to corrosion and thus early caliper failure (which I have never experienced even on our high mileage cars).

And, as has been discussed in that thread, you will not have lost much braking power even when the the first metallic scraping sound indicates that one of them has worn away completely.

Sorry JohnF but its simply not acceptable to suggest that its OK to wait until you hear the sound of "metallic scraping". The MOT fails such cars for a good reason, they are dangerous.

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - Andrew-T

(MoT requirement is at least 1.5mm), unless the caliper mechanism is sticky and it's wearing faster than it should (see gb's excellent advice on brake maintenance on the 'worn brakepads' thread). And, as has been discussed in that thread, you will not have lost much braking power even when the the first metallic scraping sound indicates that one of them has worn away completely.

All the pads I have looked at have a channel cut in the centre, roughly to the depth required by the MoT minimum. I guess it helps to disperse dust as it forms. I don't think pads are intended to be worn down to the backplate, if only to prevent too much heat reaching the callipers - rather like sipes in tyres I suppose.

All the pads I have looked at have a channel cut in the centre, roughly to the depth required by the MoT minimum. I guess it helps to disperse dust as it forms.

It helps clear the dust and it also stops the gasses formed when you brake buiding up and reducing efficiency. That is why race cars have slots and holes in the disc.

I don't think pads are intended to be worn down to the backplate,.

They are certainly not. The backplate offers zero retardation and can destroy a disc in a very short time. Then its new discs and pads instead of just new pads.

But lets just consider one other thing. The thread created by JohnF on the subject of vbrakes was deleted for several reasons and now JohnF has started discussing brakes on the tyre thread. Why has he done this, probably instead of apologising to Avant of the thread Avant started.

Edited by skidpan on 21/09/2018 at 17:23

Back to the subject...

Friend had given them 14 days to compensate for wasted time(visit to dealer to get checked) phone calls and emails. Then would go to small claims court for £50 to cover all of the above.

Cheque in the post...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/09/2018 at 17:31

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - Andrew-T

<< It helps clear the dust and it also stops the gasses formed when you brake buiding up and reducing efficiency.

... now John-F has started discussing brakes on the tyre thread. >>

Tell us more about the gases formed during braking, Skidpan - I guess it may happen to high-performance cars, but I doubt it does with us ordinary drivers.

And I'm disappointed that you can't resist sticking a knife into John-F, even when he hardly deserves it.

Can we please please please stop "attacking" each other, and Please Please please John-F, stop baiting people.

It is no longer funny/amusing.

Attempted add ons. - Tyre replacements. - Avant

....if it ever was.

Thanks, ORB, for coming back to us with a result. Your friend has achieved closure on this topic, and so shall we.