What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan S Cargo 1990 - 1990 Nissan not starting - GoJohnny

Hi everyone

I have a Nissan S Cargo that won't start, it has spark and has compression so that leaves fuel.

It was running when I drove it into my unit which was a couple of months ago, when I say it was running, it was stuttering when it got hot (say after an hour of driving) but once I left it for 30 minutes it would drive fine again.

On that basis I wanted to fix the issue, I replaced the leads, plugs, coil, distributor cap, rotor arm, distributor module, air filter and welded the back box on the exhaust (can't get a new one anywhere, will have to get a custom one made at some point).

Once I did all that it was still starting.

I then decided to do a little body work, rubbing down scratches etc, I then decided to get it out into the sun to give it a really good clean and here's where the issue started, it just wouldn't start.

It turns over but won't fire, I hear bopping coming from the exhaust, like a little back fire I suppose, I also have a light on the dashboard which is the catalytic converter which is lighting up when I try to start it, could this be the issue?

When checking the spark plugs, they are bone dry although when I took the carburettor off to check it, there is a pool of fuel in the inlet manifold.

So is there in the inlet manifold, is the catalytic converter stopping the engine running or is that light only on because it's not been run for a while (well not run for long enough)

I'm not a mechanic but I tinker a lot but I cannot figure this out.

Can someone please help.

Nissan S Cargo 1990 - 1990 Nissan not starting - badbusdriver

Firstly, this should be in the technical section. But, for those more mechanically minded than me, but don't know what a Nissan S Cargo is, it is a small, truly bizarre looking van made between 1989 and 1992. It used a 1.5 n/a petrol engine from the contemporary Nissan line up, mated to a 3 speed torque converter auto.

Nissan S Cargo 1990 - 1990 Nissan not starting - Andrew-T

Surprised you say it has a cat-converter. Makers were only obliged to fit those from about 1991 onwards?

Does it have an auto-choke, and is that in order? My daughter once had a Swift of about that age which guzzled fuel - all it needed was the auto-choke fettling.

Nissan S Cargo 1990 - 1990 Nissan not starting - badbusdriver

Surprised you say it has a cat-converter. Makers were only obliged to fit those from about 1991 onwards?

Does it have an auto-choke, and is that in order? My daughter once had a Swift of about that age which guzzled fuel - all it needed was the auto-choke fettling.

Bear in mind the S Cargo is a Japanese market vehicle, not for the UK. Their legislation on catalytic converters may well have been different there. This would have been an import, most likely to be a promotional vehicle. Going by what I can see on Wikipedia, it used the twin carb 'E15S' version of the 1.5, but I can't say anything about how accurate that information is!.

Nissan S Cargo 1990 - 1990 Nissan not starting - Manatee

Has the fuel gone off?

It sounds as if the running was a bit marginal when you put it away. Given it has a carb it could be a bit like my lawn mower which is a pig to start for the first time every year. By the time I am on the 10th pull I'm never sure whether it's still dry or flooded.

Also, are you in the UK? Carbs don't like ethanol, which is now commonly 10% of standard unleaded in some markets.

Nissan S Cargo 1990 - 1990 Nissan not starting - GoJohnny

Fuel is ok, I filled up the tank and used at least half of it before I put it in the workshop.