What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Replacement tyres for a 2007 Honda Jazz - Alex Prokop

Need a full replacement set of tyres. Previously we always used Bridgestone Potenza RE040 AZ 185/55/15/V, which is what the car originally came with, but it seems Bridgestone no longer make these at this spec.

Can anyone recommend a good similar alternative?

Honda Jazz - Replacement tyres for a 2007 Honda Jazz - badbusdriver

Here is a list of 185/55 15 tyres rated by review results. Admittedly some rather obscure listings, but interestingly the Bridgestone Potenza you mention comes way down the list. Highest rated Bridgestone is the Ecopia EP150 (still some way south of the top), then the Potenza S001, then the RE040.

Some folk get very sniffy about putting on a different make and model of tyre than OE, but it does not bother me in the slightest, the only thing i do make sure of is to by a decent quality tyre. As the Jazz is known for not being very refined, i might be inclined to concentrate on noise levels, which is now listed on the tyre. Apparently using a 'quieter' tyre can make a big difference to the noise level inside the car. And unless you drive hard and fast with the car, i would not be overly concerned with statistics other than braking performance (both wet and dry)

That sounds really useful thanks, I can't see a link to the list though?

Sorry, not sure if I just forgot to add the link or it hasn't worked. I'll try again this evening if I remember, but I just googled 185/55 x 15 tyre reviews. The site in question was about the top of the list.

Honda Jazz - Replacement tyres for a 2007 Honda Jazz - Chris M

Not sure that manufacturers necessarily fit the best tyres to their cars when they leave the factory, rather the ones they get the best deal on. My Astra has Bridgestones which whilst wearing well are quite noisy on some surfaces. GM fit a variety of brands as OEM, but the Bridgestones are widely regarded as not ideal on the current Astra.

My advice to the OP is to look around for the current best deal on a quality brand.

Honda Jazz - Replacement tyres for a 2007 Honda Jazz - madf

My Jazz came with Michelin Enery tyres: 30k miles and still 3mm tread. Not too noisy.. great wear. Now running Michelin All seasons tyres for local roads in winter/mud. So far (4 months) so good.

Here (hopefully) is that link. Just to clarify though, as far as i am aware, this is not reviews for each tyre in that specific size. All the tyres listed are available in your size, but the reviews are for the tyre in general (i.e, different sizes on different cars).

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/15-Inch-Tyres/185-...m

After doing a bit of research I'm thinking of going with the Michelin Energy Saver Plus. I'm just slightly concerned about reports that the side walls are very easy to damage. Anyone had any experience?

Nokian Line tyres also come highly recommended, although it seems like this would be a bit more hassle as I'd have to find a fitter and order online myself. Also at this particular size 185/55/5 they only seem to come in a reinforced XL version, which I don't really know anything about. Is it OK to use these in place of a standard tyre?

I'm not sure what to make of the 'easy to damage sidewalls' as i have no direct experience of that particular tyre. What i can tell you is that my current van (VW Caddy) and previous Van (Transit Connect) both have had Michelin tyres at some stage and i never had any issues regarding the sidewalls. Unless it is something specific to the Energy Saver Plus?.

Regarding buying online and finding a fitter, i'm really not sure why that should cause you any grief at all, even garages which supply tyres will fit ones you supply yourself (not always the case), at least they do where i live. But most (even small) garages will have the facilities to fit and balance tyres, last time i bought a set of tyres off Ebay (for the Connect), it cost me £40 to have all 4 fitted and balanced.

As for a reinforced tyre (presumably this means one with a higher load rating), my advice would be to avoid it for two reasons. 1, the jazz regarded as being fairly stiffly sprung as standard so a reinforced tyre will definitely have a detrimental effect on the ride, to what extent will depend on how big the difference in load rating between what it is and what you should have (i.e, the bigger the difference, the harsher the ride). 2, it is a pretty light car so simply unnecessary unless it is frequently loaded.

I suppose to be fair there was only a single post here reporting weak sidewalls:

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Energy-Saver-P...m

But I also read that energy saving tyres tend to be softer:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5134...e

But generally the reviews I've read for these are positive

Honda Jazz - Replacement tyres for a 2007 Honda Jazz - Big John

I'm a fan of the Michelin Crossclimate which seems to be available in that size. For me - thus far great performance in hot or cold weather and I've found them much better than the Energy Saver especially in the wet! Also I've found them to be really quiet. They also seem to be lasting well.

Edited by Big John on 28/08/2018 at 22:45

I'm a fan of the Michelin Crossclimate which seems to be available in that size. For me - thus far great performance in hot or cold weather and I've found them much better than the Energy Saver especially in the wet! Also I've found them to be really quiet. They also seem to be lasting well.

That is what i bought for my last van. When buying i do generally go for all season tyres. My current van, the Caddy, came with winter tyres fitted, these are also Michelins (Alpin, i think).

Honda Jazz - Replacement tyres for a 2007 Honda Jazz - Big John

That is what i bought for my last van. When buying i do generally go for all season tyres. My current van, the Caddy, came with winter tyres fitted, these are also Michelins (Alpin, i think).

Indeed - on my previous 2003 Superb I had some all season Quatrac 5's(205/55/16) which were good, although not as good in the wet as the Crossclimate. Saying that I fitted them at about 160,000 miles and under new ownership it is now up to 205,000 miles and they are still going strong.

To put in perspective previously I had a set of Bridgestone’s on the same car that only did 18,000 miles - this was a heavy vehicle!

Edited by Big John on 28/08/2018 at 23:02