What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - FredLaCruz

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Ford Focus Diesel model (2007) doing quite bad economy on both urban and extra-urban roads?

I had this car since March 2018, always passed MOT, always serviced regularly (according to the service history) but I was expecting some better economy for such a small diesel engine.

It's not a very powerful car and I always drive smoothly avoiding harsh accelleration or speeding up much but the best economy I got out of it was 38 mpg on a motorway only trip.

Otherwise with my normal driving which is a mix of motrway and city I get around 35 mpg.

Please let me know if you guys think it's normal or if there is anything I should be worried about.

Thanks

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - hardway

If you look at the top of this page there's a toolbar and in it is real mpg so you can look up yourself/

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - FredLaCruz

Hi thanks, I checked that already and it says 50.6 average real mpg that's why I was asking if anyone else with the same car experienced bad economy.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - badbusdriver

I don't have any experience of that specific engine, but from April 2010 to Dec last year i owned a 2006 Ford Transit Connect 1.8TDCI (90PS). They are known as being amongst the least fuel efficient of that type of van, but by comparison, my average was about 39-40mpg. That was starting each day with 500kg of water in a tank in the back (window cleaner), doing a mixture of mainly single carriageway A and B roads getting to where i would be working, then very short stop start running till i had finished my days work.

With that in mind, i'd say you should definately be getting nearer 50mpg,if not more.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - hardway

Then I'd say get a proper scan done,

not just a code read!

check the injector correction %'s

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - Peter.N.

If its based on the PSA 1.6 Hdi it should give a very good consumption, typically 50-60mpg driven gently. Is it smoking and does it perform well, the Peugeot one is 110 bhp.

I have come across poor diesel economy before fo no apparant reason, the PSA 2.2 is a good example. I had one in a C5 which wouldn't better 50 mpg, my son has the same engine in a 406 coupe which will do about 65 mpg on the motorway with me driving.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - skidpan

We had a 2005 110PS C-Max 1.6 TDCi (no DPF) for about 5 years and during that time and about 60,000 miles it averaged about 44 mpg (calculated). On a holiday run it would get into the mid 50's, locally 42 ish was probably nearer the truth. Compared to the Mondeo TDCi that preceeded it we were more than happy, in the same usage it would only do about 35 mpg locally and perhaps did about 40 mpg over the 36,000 we drove it. After the Golf TDi 90 PS we had before it we were disapointed with the Mondeo, the Golf averaged approx 48 mpg over the 7 years we owned it with about 56 mpg on a holiday run.

Then we replaced the C-Max with a Kia Ceed 1.6 DRDi 115 PS. Over 5 years that averged a calculated 51 mpg with high 50's on a holiday trip, best MPG we have has so far which is more remarkable when you consider that its performance was way better than the Golf and C-Max.

But all that is in the past. With troublesome DPF's its back to petrols for us and we find the VAG TSi's simply unmatchable for performance and economy. 150 PS Skoda Suberb is averaging 46 mpg in the 16 months we have owned it. The 110 PS Fabia 1.0 TSi is averaging just over 50 mpg.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Bad MPG Fuel consumption - Big John

Is it, or has it previously fitted with a DPF. Sometimes poor fuel consumption can be due to aborted attempts at active regens where extra diesel is injected during the exhaust stroke

Edited by Big John on 05/08/2018 at 21:32