What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Si V6 1999 - Removing 60 amp cooling fan fuse - Cicero

The twin fans behind the radiator are not working. As a first step I would like to check the fuse. It is F2 (under bonnet) and 60 amp rating but I cannot remove it. Is there a technique I should be using, please?

Ford Mondeo Si V6 1999 - Removing 60 amp cooling fan fuse - elekie&a/c doctor
If it is the type with the see-through plastic top,you can carefully unclip this top to check the fuse link. If you need to remove it , then the fuse plate will need to be lifted to unbolt the fuse tags.
If it is the type with the see-through plastic top,you can carefully unclip this top to check the fuse link. If you need to remove it , then the fuse plate will need to be lifted to unbolt the fuse tags.

Thank you, yes it is that type. I'm concerned that I am going to break something since it is so tight. Are you able to give me a little more detail, please?

You really don,t need to dismantle anything to check the fuse. Shine a torch through the plastic cover to see if there is a break in the fusible link.
You really don,t need to dismantle anything to check the fuse. Shine a torch through the plastic cover to see if there is a break in the fusible link.

Thanks. Just checked, fuse has broken.

Elekie, many thanks for your help so far.

I am still unclear how the fuse comes out. It is extremely tight, does it just pull out, or what?

Can you advise me further, please?

Thanks

Ford Mondeo Si V6 1999 - Removing 60 amp cooling fan fuse - John F

60amp fuse? For a couple of small fans? I have a large domestic cooling fan rated at a mere 45watts. At 12v that would be less than 4 amps. Either Ford must use them at ultra high revs as auxiliary propellers or you must have a serious short circuit!

60amp fuse? For a couple of small fans? I have a large domestic cooling fan rated at a mere 45watts. At 12v that would be less than 4 amps. Either Ford must use them at ultra high revs as auxiliary propellers or you must have a serious short circuit!

Thanks for your reply. 60 amps is what it is - can't say why.

And why the fuse has failed is what I am trying to find out.

The fuse is very likely to be one of these;www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-Amp-Yellow-Japanese-60A-PAL-...6

It is bolted under the fuse plate. Radiator cooling fans are bit bigger than 45 watts. This car has 2 150 watt motors ,connected in parallel.So I make that at least 30 amps running current,and more likely more on start up.

The fuse is very likely to be one of these;www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-Amp-Yellow-Japanese-60A-PAL-...6

It is bolted under the fuse plate. Radiator cooling fans are bit bigger than 45 watts. This car has 2 150 watt motors ,connected in parallel.So I make that at least 30 amps running current,and more likely more on start up.

You say "it is bolted under the fuse plate" but I do not understand what that means. Are you saying the whole fuse tray has to be removed from the box and then the 60 amp fuse is removed from the back of that? Any further hints would be most welcome. Thanks.

If you look at the photo of the fuse,there are 2 legs that pass through the fuse plate. These legs are bolted to the circuit board under the fuse plate via the holes shown. .2 x10 mm head bolts. the fuse box needs to be lifted up from the bodywork.Remove battery first.

If you look at the photo of the fuse,there are 2 legs that pass through the fuse plate. These legs are bolted to the circuit board under the fuse plate via the holes shown. .2 x10 mm head bolts. the fuse box needs to be lifted up from the bodywork.Remove battery first.

Thank you, much clearer now.

This car has 2 150 watt motors ,connected in parallel.So I make that at least 30 amps running current,and more likely more on start up.

300w -:- 12v = 25 amps, fewer if the alternator is working at the recommended 14v or so. However, the rated power refers to the maximum power available at the shaft, not the power the motor actually draws. Perhaps the bearings are getting a bit sticky making the start-up peak higher than it should be, gradually weakening the fuse? Perhaps a new fuse plus a squirt of WD40 is all that's needed!

Ford Mondeo Si V6 1999 - Removing 60 amp cooling fan fuse - Brit_in_Germany

The current a motor draws when it is stalled is usually much higher than that when turning. For the fuse to blow might mean that there is somethng stopping the motor turning.

To all:

Your help is much appreciated, thank you.

It's up to me now.

Just in case anybody is interested as to the outcome of this saga, this is what happened.

One cooling fan had siezed and blown the 60 amp fuse, this had cut the supply to the second fan which cools the air con condenser. With no cooling, in the very hot weather, this resulted in both the water and the air con system overheating. I managed to get a replacement unit from Find-a-Part (one fan siezed, same one as on mine!) and my friendly local garage made up a working unit. So I am back on the road although with no air con, I have not bothered to test and refill this since I think, regretfully, that this might be the end for the car. Spares are becoming difficult to source and scrapyard parts are, probably, now as old as the car anyway.

This is the best car I have ever had and ever likely to have. For the first 11 years the only things that went wrong were the interior mirror came off in my hand and the sun visor hold went floppy. Still on original engine, clutch, starter, alternator etc.

Yours sadly...

Ford Mondeo Si V6 1999 - Removing 60 amp cooling fan fuse - Galaxy

Well, should you fancy getting another one:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-ST24-V6-24V/1921924...K

Thanks for coming back to convey the outcome, Cicero - an all too infrequent courtesy. Much appreciated. Hope the overheating wasn't serious enough to wreck a CHG. Might just need a £40 re-gas? That's all our 2000 Focus needed.

Edited by John F on 29/08/2018 at 21:26