What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
any - DV6 Engine as fitted to the1.6 HDICitroen/Peugeot - DieselMan1966

About 2 years ago I had a 307 with the 1.6hdi unit, this was the version with the Injectors at the front of the engine. All wasok until the usual problem with this engine occured, the Injector Seals. From my understanding of the cause centered on the injector mounting studs and incorrect servicing allowing

Aftrer 2 attempts at sorting the problem, I eventurally became sick and traded in on for my current car, which I am looking to swap later this year for a small SUV, a 2008/Captur or a C Max

I am a little worried that 2 of these vehicles had the HDI unit, be that the later generation with thhe injectors at the back, away from the heat of the turbo and EGR, could suffer the same problem. When I've looked on various forums they seem to be all suffering with the same complaint.

Does anyone know if there was a further modification to the eninge to solve this problem?

Thanks

any - DV6 Engine as fitted to the1.6 HDICitroen/Peugeot - SLO76
Even later versions of this engine are proving weak so I’d personally forget anything with it fitted. The current 1.5 version (downsized for tax purposes in certain markets) May finally cure the problems but again it’ll take years to find out for sure. Sadly Ford’s smaller offerings are usually only available with the 1.0 Ecoboost as an alternative which is even worse for problems with some owners needing replacement engines before 40k. If you must have a 2008 then the current 1.2 petrol is so far proving robust but again it’s early days yet.
any - DV6 Engine as fitted to the1.6 HDICitroen/Peugeot - Peter.N.

It's a shame really as they are an excellent engine performance and fuel consumption wise but badly designed from a durability point of view.

Maintenance is one problem, the oil change interval is far to long and if its neglected usually spells the ruination for the engine.

If you can find one that has been well maintained, look down the oil filler and see if there is any sign of carbon granuals, if its nice and clean and you change the oil every 5k you should be in with a sporting chance.

Thanks for the prompt replies. With that in mind I think i'll look for the 1.2 puretech petrol versions, as I believe they do not have Dural Mass Flywheels or EGR valves, both of which are failing on my current car.

I do tend to service my cars outside of the schedule, usually every 5 - 6k. In 25 years of running turbo diesels, the only one that failed was on the 307, which could have been faulty when I bought it..

Does the 1.2 110 unit have any known weak spot? or can we assume that it was designing in partnership with BMW it should be ok to cover milages in excess of 100k with regular servicing?

any - DV6 Engine as fitted to the1.6 HDICitroen/Peugeot - Westk

Hi I registered just to reply to this and give a balanced opinion on the DV6.

I've bought a Pug 308 after getting a new job with a long commute to save the mileage on my other car.initially sceptical but I was lured by the fuel economy etc

Commute is 30000 miles a year and the Pug has done 140000 over the last 4 years with literally zero issues.

Company I work for has dozens of Berlingo and Partner vans also not heard any complaints.

Family and colleagues have vehicles with this engine- again no complaints.

Almost every smaller van on the road has this engine-cant remember the last time I seen one broken down.

took it to Spain last year over our newer cars and got 900 miles to a tank of diesel with Aircon on permanently- zero issues.

I actually now prefer driving it over our other ' nicer' cars and this is the old car bought as a commuter shed

Don't rule out the 1.6 HDI

any - DV6 Engine as fitted to the1.6 HDICitroen/Peugeot - RichardW

The Pre 2011 16V engine was a bit of a disaster. Having said that it can be relatively easily (and cheaply if DIY) altered to make it OK. My 307 ran to 140k before the tin worm got it; still running original turbo, EGR valve, DPF and clutch. New injector seals at 110k. Our C4 Picasso was less good, ruining its turbo at 70k; however, after removing the oil strainers in the sump and the turbo feed, new injector seals and EGR valve, it is still running OK at 120k (this despite having got to oil pressure light coming on twice!).

The 2011 on DV6C engine is substantially better - not heard of any turbo issues. The early ones do suffer from injector failure, which makes for an expensive day out, unfortunately.... The 2015 on E6 engine is too new for problems to have surfaced in the after market.

We bought a pre-reg C4 Grand Picasso with the E6 engine in Feb, and I'm buying a 2013 3008 with the E5 engine at the weekend. But then I am a glutton for punishment!!

Thanks for all the advice, with that in mind I could widen my criteria to include the 3008 from 2012 onwards, hopefully with all the bells and whistles!

My plan would be to go through the local Peugeot agents and negotiate a service plan in the deal. I've used a mobile mechaninc for a number of years without any problems, apart from he uses a suction pump to remove the oil from the sump after adding some engine flush, on these engines possibly not the best method.

I did look a 2ltr 3008 auto, but that was too much money, time to be making firiends with the local dealers!

All I've done with regards to maintaining my Peugeot hdi is changing oil and filter every 10000 miles using proper Total Ineo ECS oil and genuine (mahle) filter.

Diesel and air filter changed once a year again with genuine parts.

Changed timing belt myself as easy on these again with genuine parts at 110000 miles. Original Dayco belt that came out along with all roller and water pump looked and felt like new.

I reckon any failures are due to neglect

Edited by Westk on 22/06/2018 at 08:08

“I reckon any failures are due to neglect”

Many no doubt are but equally there’s been countless cases of well maintained cars which have suffered failures, usually via the turbo blades braking up and being ingested by the engine which almost certainly destroys it. The two examples I cited were both well maintained with regular oil changes and the 59 plate Peugeot Partner 1.6 HDi van an ex co worker had which suffered turbo failure at 59,000 miles had fresh oil every 6,000 miles. It’s impossible to ignore the high failure rate even if it is still the minority of owners who suffer it. It’s a disaster for someone on limited means who’s got another 2-3yrs to pay on a loan if the thing fails catastrophically.
“The 2011 on DV6C engine is substantially better - not heard of any turbo issues.”

I have. Neighbours Berlingo packed in at less than 80k thanks to the turbo breaking up. Another local taxi Mondeo 2014 suffered the same - not sure of the mileage though. Yes the later engine is better, yes you’ll meet people who’ve suffered no problems (the majority don’t if it’s well maintained) but failures are still vastly higher on these than they should be. I wouldn’t buy one to run myself or sell on and I know many other buyers and dealers alike who shy away from anything fitted with this engine unless it’s cheap enough to risk but like I say the majority will have no problems. If you must have one then the later the better and buy only with a main dealer history. Much of the trouble comes from garages servicing these things without fully understanding the issues or using the incorrect grade of oil.

Hi

Thanks for all the feedback, I will be making friends with the local dealers in due course. I do some photographic work for some insurance companies, recovering dash cam footage and so on, this allows me to take a sneaky peak into some vehciles. I have the pleasure of sitting in a couple of 911's, once of which was race prepared. The owners have footage of me attepting to get of of the drivers seat. As I explained to the customers, I am built for the SUV, not low sports cars being an ex rugby player with back trouble!.

I have sat in a couple of 3008's recently and found them to be comfortable, so I would be looking from the 2012 model year as this will have the later c type engine?

Hi

Yeh the engine in that will be the 8 valve version.

You would be extremely unlucky to have any problems with even the later 16 valve versions up to 2011.

The failure rate has to be absolutely tiny given the sheer numbers and I'd guess they are probably more reliable than vw tdi etc

Googling brings up almost nothing regards problems with these hdi engines over the last few years ( vag tdi is another matter though)'ll be changing my 308 for another with the same engine soon.

any - DV6 Engine as fitted to the1.6 HDICitroen/Peugeot - Andrew-T

In 25 years of running turbo diesels, the only one that failed was on the 307, which could have been faulty when I bought it..

I have had a variety of Pug turbo diesels over the last 25 years, starting with a 205 (52mpg), then a 95M 306 followed by a 99T with the HDi (55mpg). I part-exed that car for my present 207SW at the end of 2008. None of them had any turbo troubles that I was aware of. The present car has just had a cambelt and oil/filter change at only 71K, and sounds like a new car. Admittedly I don't give my cars a hard time (SWMBO drives it most of the time) but I see no reason to change. No DPFs of course.

My first venture into Diesel cars was a 309 with the 1.9 XUD non turbo, I did over 120k in 4 years. It eventually failed at 230k when a water return pipe burst and cooked the head, resulting in mayonaisse in the oil cap!.

I am condisidering a 3008 with the 1.6 unit, idealy with an auto box as I do a lot of town driving and dread the dual mass going. The 309 clutch was changed at 160k, so I would guess this would be the lifespan of the clutches.

I do tend to service all my cars every 5k using dealer parts and recently use a terraclean/Fortron injector clean annualy since the episode with the 307. Afterwards it was achieving 70mpg when it was running!