What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - DavidGlos

My Dad's 9 year old, 80 odd thousand mile Tiguan 2.0 TDI went in for a service today. He's on some pay monthly service plan with the local VW s******.

I've not got the details yet, but they're saying it needs a new clutch. Don't know what's making them suggest this, as there's no clutch slip or strange 'DMF living on borrowed time' noises and there are no shudders, aside from a very slight judder when pulling away first thing in the morning in winter. They've quoted something exorbitant to fit a new clutch and DMF, but also say that when they've said the same to other Tiguan owners, the owner has refused their kind offer and often managed another 10k-20k before needing a new clutch!!

He only does about 5k miles each year in it (generally longer runs so no DPF worries) and about 50% of that is towing a 2 berth caravan.

Given that there are no signs of impending clutch failure (no sign of slipping, even when towing), I reckon I'd leave well alone and keep a watching brief/consider chopping it in over the next year.

What are the chances of the clutch failing without warning, rather than starting to slip and giving some clear signs that it's giving up the ghost?

Edited by DavidGlos on 06/06/2018 at 00:36

Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - RobJP

I'd agree with your opinion.

If / when selecting gears starts to become difficult, or significant slipping when driving, then look at changing (either the clutch or the car). Which could be anything from 2 months to 5 years from now.

Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - gordonbennet

I'd be inclined to peruse the owners forums and see what clutch failure is like on these, ie if other damage has been known, and if it's likely to suddenly strand you without warning, and interesting to know how and if clutch wear can be measured on these.

Some lorry gearboxes with automated manual clutches will start to judder (worse than they normally do) at maneuver speeds, this usually happens around 500k kms on general heavy use, if you report it they won't do anything at the dealership (yes yours truly pre warned them), but anything up to 50k later the thrust bearing disintegrates with no other warning at all, leaving the vehicle completely immobile and a huge tow in operation to fix at the most inconvenient moment.

This as just an example to illustrate, there might be some way VW measure wear or point of engagement, or they might simply be going by average failure mileages, or the other option, but it would be worth finding out if there's good reason they suggest this replacement, other than creating income for themselves.

Obviously you'll get quotes from a good independent for clutch replacement when the time comes, we saved over 60% on the dealer quote when daughter's Aygo clutch needed replacing, and that was with genuine LUK parts.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/06/2018 at 08:10

Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - SLO76
It’ll just be the dealer trying to drum up business by making advisories while the car was in for a service. If we carried them all out cars would be crippilingly expensive to run. It may be based on the mechanics opinion regarding clutch biting point or possibly on typical clutch lifespan but I wouldn’t bother unless it’s slipping or the DMF is breaking up.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/06/2018 at 08:49

Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - John F
It’ll just be the dealer trying to drum up business by making advisories while the car was in for a service.

Sadly all too common. I wonder how many times his brake pads and perhaps even the discs have been replaced because 'they won't last till the next service, squire' . I suppose he'll have had the oil and filter changed every 5,000m as well. I wonder how many times they have changed the brake fluid? Heigh ho. Perhaps, owing to bit of surface rust, his brake pipes have been unnecessarily changed instead of being cleaned, painted and greased. (the ones on my 38yr old TR7 are original). I wonder how much has been spent 'servicing' your dad's probably carefully driven car over the years. A bit of driver-undetectable play in the bushes? Unnecessary replacement? Running a garage with no checks and balances is a licence to print money.

Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - TheGentlemanThug

As said, the dealer is probably just basing their information off average lifespan and are covering their own backsides.

If the clutch pedal isn't juddering, gear changes are smooth and the DMF isn't howling, I doubt there's anything to worry about.

Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - barney100

Garage gave me an advisory after an mot to replace front shocks. I left it and next year got the same advisory, left it again, the next year no mention of the shocks.....

Volkswagen Tiguan - Clutch - to replace, or not... - Bianconeri

Garage gave me an advisory after an mot to replace front shocks. I left it and next year got the same advisory, left it again, the next year no mention of the shocks.....

About 10 years ago Mrs BN got an advisory to change rear brake discs on a 9000 mile 1 year old Yaris. It had rear drums! Best I ever had was a salesman who tried to convince me that ‘my boss’ wanted to replace my company’s car. Quite strange as it was my company. Both dealers dropped rom the ‘comapnies we do busiess with’ list.