Ford Fiesta 54 - Coolant leaking when engine running - Sullb01

Hoping someone could give me some advice before I take my car to the garage (don't want my eyes taking out). i drove my Fiesta about 5 miles last night before parking it up for a couple of hours. When I returned to my car there was a puddle of water under the car where all of the coolant had emptied.

I topped it up and watched for any leaking and non could be seen so I drove home. I checked the car again after stopping and the coolant was dripping and the reserve tank was about half full however I still can't see where its leaking from. I have checked my car this morning and the reserve tank is still half full so it only seems to be leaking when the engine is running.

I'm going to take it to the garage however I was hoping for some possible causes so that I don't get my eyes taken out - any help would be appreciated.

Ford Fiesta 54 - Coolant leaking when engine running - skidpan

Using you Mk 1 human eyes by looking under the bonnet and under the car you should be able to spot where the leak is. It could be something as simple as a hose costing pence, it could be the water pump which will cost several hundred since it normally involes removing the cam belt to acsess it or it could be a cracked block which would require a new engine.

Without seeing the car no one on here can advise where its leaking from.

So look for yourself or trust a garage.

Ford Fiesta 54 - Coolant leaking when engine running - hardway

If your garage is equiped they'll use a pressure tester,

It pumps the coolant system to 10>psi and believe me any leaks are apparent by the coolant shooting out!!

Ford Fiesta 54 - Coolant leaking when engine running - SLO76
“it could be the water pump which will cost several hundred since it normally involes removing the cam belt to acsess it“

If it’s running the Zetec SE 1.24/1.4/1.6 petrol then the water pump isn’t driven by the timing belt which is a very sensible design and one less thing that could throw the belt. Failed pumps are fairly common on these however but they’re cheap to do.
Ford Fiesta 54 - Coolant leaking when engine running - JLP123

If you can see it dripping it seems it should be possible to try trace the drip back. Look for traces of anti freeze (pink/blue) around engine block/compatrment, pipes. If it's leaking out there should be at least traces of this somewhere. You could also check carpets around the heater vents in the foot wells of your car, if they are damp it's probably heater valve or core, though doubt that would explain coolant under car, still might as well check when your at it!

Unfortunately your description is a little contradictory. When you first noticed the puddle your car was parked up, but then you say its only doing it when engine is running.

Actually when you say "I topped it up and watched for any leaking and non could be seen so I drove home. I checked the car again after stopping and the coolant was dripping and the reserve tank was about half full "...the tank should only be half full at most to begin with. If you've been filling it up to the top, as the engine heats and the gases create pressure in the cooling system, it'll blow the excess coolant out the pressure hose. Are you sure you just aren't over filling it to begin with?