What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - 256

I am looking for a reliable, decent to drive and ideally with an mpg of around 40 or more 2016-2017 petrol automatic to have for the next 3-5 years. My budget is about £15000.

I am not interested in the way it looks very much, but I do care about reliability, decent comfort inside and to be nice enough to drive especially around town where I do most of my driving.

This is what I managed to understand so far... please escuse any mistakes, I am new to cars.

Toyota Auris 1.8 Hybrid - reliable, good mpg but a lot of people have complained about it being uncomfortable or boring to drive..not sure what boring means in this context.. and also noisy at motorway speeds.
Ford Focus 1.5 - good to drive but poor mpg, just about 30 so probably I'll have to skip it.
Seat Leon 1.4 - good to drive, 40ish mpg, not sure how reliable is it?

I have shortlisted 3 cars. Could you offer your advice as to whether which one you think is better please?

Seat Leon 1.4
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180103240...3

Toyota Auris Hybrid 1.8
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180313452...3

and,

Ford Focus
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180305426...3

Thank you

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - badbusdriver

Problem is that while a Leon or focus is going to be better to drive than the auris, they both use a dual clutch automated manual gearbox. Ford's 'powershift' has a particularly poor reputation, but I wouldn't want a dsg either unless buying new and getting shot of before the warranty is up. In terms of reliability, the auris is the only one out of your 3 choices I'd look at, but I'd also suggest the mazda 3 and honda civic, both of which are reliable and use a torque converter auto.

Thank you

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - colinh

Had an Auris hybrid - did frequent cross-Spain journeys in it. Can be noisy on inclines, but otherwise no problems - no complaints regarding comfort - better economy with smaller 15" wheels - check boot for needs - the volume is OK, but some dimensions are limiting

Thanks!

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - SLO76
For some reason I can't get any of those links to work (edit: auto trader site was down) but I can say that while I like both the Seat and the Focus in manual form they sadly discount themselves as autos due to the poor reputation both Ford's Powershift and VW's DSG automated manuals have for costly failures. Both are nice in operation but failure rates are far far too high and depreciation is higher than manual equivalents as the trade is very aware of their failings.

The Toyota Auris is a good bet and your budget will allow a facelifted car which looks nicer inside and out plus drives a little sharper on the road. The 1.8 Prius engine and drivetrain are well proven and highly unlikely to go wrong plus your mostly local driving is where a hybrid is at its best. The 1.2 turbo petrol CVT is fine too in this regard.

My favourite at this money would be a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv auto which uses a conventional but lightweight torque converter transmission which should give no problems at all. It's a much more entertaining car to drive than the Auris and should be just as reliable. They're generally dearer like for like though.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/04/2018 at 23:02

Thanks a lot!

Could you please tell me if I need to provide insurance cover for the person who buys my car if they are not insured at all?

No, not your problem.

Just make sure the deal has been done though, you don't want them driving off, un-insured, in what is technically still your car.

Thanks a lot!

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - FiestaOwner

Remember that if allowing anyone to test drive the car, you have to ensure that there is a valid insurance policy in place to cover that driver.

As the registered keeper, you have that responsibility.

Stupid question...in order tobe considered as not my car anymore, is it enough for the buyer to write down his details on the v5c?

Or do I also need to give some sort of receipt?

Edited by 256 on 30/04/2018 at 16:45

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - SLO76
As soon as the buyer has put their details in the V5 and taken possession of the green new keeper slip then they are effectively the new owner. Take a copy of the filled in V5 if you can or even just take a photo of it in case any fines etc come back to your address so that you can inform the relevant authorities of the new keepers details. You don’t have to give a receipt and in a private sale I’d be reluctant to as the vehicle is sold as seen.

I was thinking about giving one of these already made forms from AA. Do you think this would be considered a receipt?

https://we.tl/xvIU3hkGL9

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - Engineer Andy

I'd add that if you go with the Mazda3, better to go for the SE-L Nav and not the Sport model (it still comes with an auto on the 2.0 petrol) as it has a decent amount of kit for the money, but has a far better ride as its shod on 205/60 R16 tyres rather than the 18in ones on the Sport models, which might seem ok when they are brand new, but won't after 6 months+ worth of use.

You might also want to consider its 'baby brother, the CX-3 in the same spec. It is smaller inside (including the boot) as its based on the Mazda2, but it drives very well on 16in tyres and the auto version is actually a bit quicker to 60 (9.9 sec as opposed to 10.3 in the 3). I managed to get 39mpg on a brand new one I test drove (that was a Sport with fatter tyres, so the SE-L should do a bit better) which wasn't worn in. The CX-3 still comes with a proper handbrake, whilst only the 3 up until late 2017 does.

Worth a look - both won't set the world alight in terms of performance, but its perfectly acceptable for most people. If you do go for either, make sure it comes with a space-saver spare wheel/tyre - they are an optional extra only which costs £400 from Mazda (they need a special fitment to get in the place in the boot - you may be able to source an aftermarket one for less, but be careful to check it actually fits the space).

Many onwers either forgot to check when they ordered such cars from new to get one, and so rely on the 'tube of goo' which doesn't seem to be a very good alternative, and which renders a tyre unrepairable. You might find the lack of a spare wheel/tyre can be turned into a bargaining chip on the price. Just wait until they've negotiated down to their so-called 'lowest price', then check the storage area under the main boot floor for the presence of the spare. Don't accept a 'loose' one either, whether without the special polystyrene storage area fitting or the unit loose in the main boot area (both cars).

Note that the Sport model, definitely on the CX-3 CANNOT take a spare tyre in that area because its upgraded ICE system goes in that space and cannot be relocated.

PS. You are more likely to get a better deal on the Mazda3 than the CX-3.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 29/04/2018 at 12:03

Thank you very much.

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - Stumblebum

My wife has been driving a 64 Reg Auris hybrid estate from the start of the new year. She loves it. It's smooth, relaxing to drive and she gets about 50mpg. Performance is fine in heavy traffic in urban areas - having no clutch and a very smooth transmission means stop start is fine. On the open road performance is adequate.

I've not yet driven it - I've driven manuals all my life - but as a passenger it feels as refined as the Mercedes E class Taxis I used to travel in, in Germany.

After 4 months can't give any feedback about reliability. The tire pressure monitoring system did alert us to a slow puncture though.

We have a five year fixed price service plan which fixes the price with a 10% discount for dealer main service (we plan to keep it for a while). I only did this to keep the battery under warranty.

Thank you. Could you please tell me if it is noisy at motorway speeds?

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - Engineer Andy

Generally check HJ's Car-by-Car reviews section, including owner reviews - you may find something useful in this and other areas:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/

The can all be found via clikcing on the Reviews tab below the HJ title above ^

Thanks

Generally check HJ's Car-by-Car reviews section, including owner reviews - you may find something useful in this and other areas:

Also, there is this solitary owner review on Autotrader,

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-reviews/toyota/auris/bb43...f

And these owner reviews on Parkers,

www.parkers.co.uk/toyota/auris/hatchback-2012/owne.../

You can also check the respective websites own 'professional' reviews while looking.

Also, there is this solitary owner review on Autotrader,

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-reviews/toyota/auris/bb43...f

And these owner reviews on Parkers,

www.parkers.co.uk/toyota/auris/hatchback-2012/owne.../

You can also check the respective websites own 'professional' reviews while looking.

Just realised that the '12> Auris is basically the same as '15> so you may as well look through these too,

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-reviews/toyota/auris/0cf0...4

Thank you all for your kind advice. I have went through all the reviews you have mentioned but since I got a reply from someone who has the car I thought I should ask for their opinion as well.

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - Stumblebum

My wife went from an old Ford Focus diesal to the Auris, so in comparison, it is not noisy.

My wife regularly does dual carriage ways and find it is ok. She tends to be happy just cruising with the occasional overtaking maneuver. You do notice the sudden increase in revs when you accelerate if you listen out for it and if the ICE is not that loud.

Her car is more refined than my Honda Civic 1800 manual at 60+ but then my car has better acceleration (if you use the gears).

Toyota hybrid, Seat Leon, Ford Focus - Used car recommendation - landmarked

I had a similar need recently, but was looking at both auto and manual boxes.

I ended up narrowing it down to the Leon 1.4 and Mazda 3 2.0. I ended up going for the Mazda, preferring the interior and the way it drove (although the Leon seems to do better in magazine tests, I prefer the more "alive" feel of the Mazda chassis over the competent but slightly numb Leon).

If looking for an auto and planning keeping the car closer to 5 years than 3, I would lean more towards the Mazda with torque converter over the Leon DSG based on reliability reports.