Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - bex145

Hi All,

I've just purchased a 2013 S-MAX Titanium and was wondering if anyone else has one that doesn't have a child obseration mirror? When on our test drive I was sat in the back whilst my husband drove and I asked the sales guy about the mirror as I use it all the time in my old car and he showed me the sunglasses holder and said it didn't have a mirror as it was an option for one or the other when ordering which I thought was stange. By the time it was my turn in the front it had slipped my mind to check properly.

The car was registered in Feb 2013 and the only brochure I can find online is a November 2013 one which says a sunglasses holder and child mirror come together as standard.

I emailed the guy today to give him this information but he was adamant that it only had a sunglasses holder. We don't pick up the car until Thursday and it's three hours away so I can't nip over to have a look.

I know its only a little thing but to me it's a big thing as I use it all the time. I was wondering if anyone else knew more about this or have a similar model and age?

Many thanks

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - RT

I've never had a car with a child observation mirror, nor seen the need for one - seems to increase the risk of unneccessary distraction.

Put children in a properly strapped seat - if they need attention, stop and deal with them.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - RobJP

I have to agree. If your attention is that much on the child, as opposed to the road, then it's more dangerous than a safety feature of any sort.

The only possible exception I can think of would be if the child had a medical condition that meant observation was ESSENTIAL - epilepsy would be one example. Even so, I'd view such an observation device as something that takes essential attention from the road.

Thanks, but I didn't ask for your opinions, I asked a specific question which neither of you have actually answered. Like you say, you don't know the circumstances around why I use it and glancing at a child for a second is no different from having my eyes off the road for the second that any driver glances in their rear view mirror.

Your comments sounds as though you actually think these mirrors are used to drive the whole journey staring at a child rather than looking where you are going.

Unless you can answer my specific question then please just scroll on and troll someone else instead.

Edited by bex145 on 03/09/2017 at 23:50

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - elekie&a/c doctor
I wonder if it is possible to replace the glasses holder with the mirror unit. Ford do a unit for the Galaxy models for around £50.Perhaps give main dealer a call.
Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - RobJP

Thanks, but I didn't ask for your opinions, I asked a specific question which neither of you have actually answered. Like you say, you don't know the circumstances around why I use it and glancing at a child for a second is no different from having my eyes off the road for the second that any driver glances in their rear view mirror.

Your comments sounds as though you actually think these mirrors are used to drive the whole journey staring at a child rather than looking where you are going.

Unless you can answer my specific question then please just scroll on and troll someone else instead.

Erm ... it's a public forum. A lot of us on here are (or have been, in some cases) professional drivers (HGV/PSV, taxi, etc), you've got people who've done the Advanced Driving courses, etc, etc and we've got one hell of a lot of accumulated experience.

Just because people say something that strikes a bit close to the bone most certainly does not mean they are 'trolling' you. It means they've got a relevant point to make.

I'll put it this way : its there any REAL, ESSENTIAL reason for you to be monitoring a properly strapped in child in your journey ?

If the answer is 'No', then such a monitoring mirror is only going to have the effect of making you more likely to have an accident due to your attention not being where it should be - on the road, on other road users. That makes such a mirror more dangerous than helpful.

Think about it. By having (and using) such a device, you become more dangerous - to yourself, to your child, to pedestrians, cyclists, etc.

If you don't like that, and that strikes close to the bone, then it's because it's true. The aggressive response (attacking those who suggest it) shows such.

You'll note that in the replies, neither myself nor the other person went for insults - which would have been easy. Something like 'stupid helicopter mother' would have been simplicity itself.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Bilboman

Sorry if this is stating the obvious - only trying to help here, as are the other contributors! - but a quick search on a well known buying and selling website produced 53 aftermarket "child mirror" accessories which would carry out the job just as well as the original manufacturer's accessory, and most are priced less than a tenner. If you search for "2 in 1 wide view double mirror" there is one that clips over the existing mirror and has a small adjustable second mirror below the main one and does not look at all out of place - only disadvantage that it obviously doesn't have any kind of dipping facility for night time use; however the other "standalone" ones may obstruct one of the sunvisors, which this one doesn't seem to.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Happy Blue!

Five years with an S-Max and three children. No 'child' mirror. All are still alive, haven't injured each other and these days even speak nicely to each other. If you really need one, look at what driving instructors use, but as others have said, less looking behind means more looking forward and safer driving.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - JEREMYH

I have been a long distance courier all my life doing 90K a year

I have grown up children and now a grand daughter and your telling me you need a mirror to watch them play with a Paw Patrol figure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................While your driving ....!!!!!!!!!

Do you drive on facebook with your iphone as well ?

Edited by JEREMYH on 04/09/2017 at 07:36

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Brit_in_Germany

As bex wrote, you don't know the circumstances. The child may be at risk of having a fit or seizure and so a caring parent might consider having a child mirror to be a vital requirement. Can no-one answer the question?

As bex wrote, you don't know the circumstances. The child may be at risk of having a fit or seizure and so a caring parent might consider having a child mirror to be a vital requirement. Can no-one answer the question?

It was answered by an earlier post.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Bromptonaut

The Berlingo came with such a mirror, not needed as both 'kids' were at uni when we bought car. Not removable so we're stuck with it.

There were occasions when they were young where opportunity to glance at a mirror and see whether they were sleeping or up to silent mischief would have been useful. In fact a dim memory says we had a self adhesive mirror for just that purpose.

Particularly useful on occasions when travelling as sole adult with either or both rascals.

It was answered by an earlier post.

No it wasn't

Being a perfect courier for too long has done nothing but turn you into a sexist bully. Courier drivers seem to be one of the most dangerous ones on the road today. I've seen many who are all over the road, going up the verge or swerving only to pass them later on with their phone in their hand (perhaps on facebook). The mirror is used to keep a brief eye on a child who has previously had a fit in her car seat and who doctors have said will be prone to it happening again. You must be very lucky to not have had to worry about such a thing with your children or grand child so far. Perhaps that why you seem so small minded and have not been able to use your brain to think or ask for the reason it's used instead of making your own assumtions.

Edited by bex145 on 04/09/2017 at 12:41

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Manatee

I quite understand the desire to and benefit of being able to observe small children in a car.

At 18m old, my daughter had a febrile convulsion in her child seat in the back of our Fiesta. I saw her in the driving mirror, pale-faced and unconscious. I stopped immediately and cooled her down, which brought her round. It was terrifying.

My daughter is now 36, with children of her own aged 7m & 34m. Both are restrained in rear facing seats in the back of an A6 Avant, and can't be seen directly in driving mirror. My daughter has a convex mirror on a sucker attached to the rear window which enables her to see them in the driving mirror.

Far from being a distraction, I think it is far better to be able to see the children are OK and get on with the task without worrying about them unnecessarily. They are not cargo.

The hostile replies here are frankly offensive.

Edited by Manatee on 04/09/2017 at 10:37

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - gordonbennet

I quite understand the desire to and benefit of being able to observe small children in a car.

At 18m old, my daughter had a febrile convulsion in her child seat in the back of our Fiesta. I saw her in the driving mirror, pale-faced and unconscious. I stopped immediately and cooled her down, which brought her round. It was terrifying.

Thats brought some memories flooding back MT, my son had two or three febrile convulsions in the early years, the first with me when he used to come out with me as a tiny tot in my lorry, talk about an ageing experience! i'm sure several millions hairs on my head turned grey in the space of two hours.

He's a big lug now with two of his own, and the eldest (daughter) presented him with her very own FC during the summer, despite his knowing about the possibility and what to do it still gave him the fright of his life.

As for mirrors for this purpose, if the car doesn't come with one then as said all sorts of things available aftermarket, i don't suppose the OP is meaning to drive on peripheral vison all day whilst gazing admiringly at the offspring, and yes the CRV my two grandchidren ride in the back of is similarly equipped with a slightly convex mirror on the rear headrest one side in order to glance at the two.

As for commets in general, this isn't the first time i've envisaged people gripping the wheel hard enough to crush it, their eyes bulging wide and propped open with matchsticks lest a blink should cause a millisecond loss in concentration, i'm exhausted even thinking about it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/09/2017 at 11:38

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - corax
The hostile replies here are frankly offensive.

I agree. Quite bullying to be honest.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Soichiro
It's always the same self-opinionated people too.
Why not just answer the question or stay quiet!

I drive around 50,000 miles a year and also use a child mirror to keep an eye on my young children.
Being a professional driver (HGV/PSV, taxi, etc) doesn't make you a good driver. It just means you drive for a living. Some of the worst driving I see on the road, is by these so called professional drivers.
The M1 minibus crash should be convincing enough that professional driver, doesn't equal safe driver.
It's always the same self-opinionated people too. Why not just answer the question or stay quiet!.

Can you not understand that it's fine on a public forum to express opinions politely that may be different to others.

To save you looking up the meaning of "forum" - it's "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged"

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Soichiro
If the opinions were polite it would be acceptable. But they were not, in fact they were down right rude. A bit like your suggestion that I would need to look up the word forum. Although you clearly did, to copy and paste it from oxforddictionaries.com.
Just for the record my comment about being self-opinionated wasn't directed at you.
Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Avant

Absolutely, Manatee - and if a child, even if properly strapped in, is having some sort of problem, it's far quicker and safer to look in a mirror if you have one than to look behind you.

And if there are two adults travelling with the children, the mirror can of course be turned to be looked in by the front passenger.

Bex, I'm sure that the best answer is to look on Google or Amazon and see what aftermarket mirrors are available. They certainly exist: they did in the mid-1960s when my mum got one to fix in her car when I was learning to drive, so that she could see what was happeningnon the road behind us.

Edited by Avant on 04/09/2017 at 11:35

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - TedCrilly

The reaction to some of the genuine questions posted here together with some of the ignorant, cynical and self righteous answers I read really does let this website down.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - SLO76
"Absolutely, Manatee - and if a child, even if properly strapped in, is having some sort of problem, it's far quicker and safer to look in a mirror if you have one than to look behind you."

Agree totally. I have a mirror to allow observation of junior in the back seat and find it much safer being able to quickly glance back than having to physically look behind me or manovering to pull over at the side of a busy road. It's not for pulling faces and entertaing sprog but purely to check why the little chap is upset for some reason. It limits the distraction rather than increases it in my humble opinion. To bulk that up a bit, I've been driving 22yrs without any accidents and have a PCV licence too.

Thanks to all those with positive replies, all those other "perfect" drivers can bore off. Like Manatee, the reason for having a mirror is also following my daughter having a convulsion whilst strapped in her car seat and then having to be rushed to hospital by ambulance. It's mainly for my own peace of mind. Yes i will use it sometimes on a late evening on the way home from work to glance at them to make sure they aren't nodding off before getting home but for those who honestly believe I would sit staring at two toddlers and not looking where I'm going should really be looking at themselves. You are nothing but judgemental bullies who have just made an assumption without even asking any questions. You should be looking at the people who have thought before commenting or perhaps asked the question why it is used and take a leaf from their books.

And as for the "perfect professional drivers", Do you know how many dangerous van drivers I see on a daily basis or how many lorry drivers using IPad's, phones, laptops etc that can be seen reflecting on their screens whilst right up the backside of a full car or kids??

Just because they drive for a profession does not make them saints behind the wheel.

Briefly glancing in a mirror is far less dangerous than this and to be honest if it was that dangerous it would be made illegal.

Thanks to those with useful suggestions. I have found these buy your own mirrors but came across an older thread where people have said that due to the posistion of the windscreen and headrests you cant get it in a perfect place to see. You can only see the front headrests.

Basically, all I want to know is should the car come with one or was it optional?

Edited by bex145 on 04/09/2017 at 12:23

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - badbusdriver

I think I found that same info bex. It doesn't appear that the s max has one, and after market mirrors can't be positioned where you need it. But, going by what you've mentioned re the sunglasses holder, which presumably is a drop down compartment, I don't think it would be too difficult to rig something up using it. Possibly using a bicycle rear view mirror, or one of those blind spot mirrors you stick on to the door mirror. In fact, you could possibly stick a blind spot mirror on to the existing interior rear view mirror. As a van driver and ex bus driver, I am well used to not having and not needing an interior mirror, so I might even be inclined to just position it to view your daughter and use the side mirrors to see behind.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - focussed

Halfords sell auxilliary suction pad mirrors to stick on the inside of the screen - driving instructors have been using them for years.

They usually fit two of them, one to see behind and one focussed on the pupil's eyes to see what they are looking at and where, without the distraction to the pupil of directly looking at the pupil's face.

Edited by focussed on 04/09/2017 at 12:54

Thanks badbusdriver. I think it is going to have to be a DIY job, probably with the sunglasses holder. Plenty of other compartments to stick sunglasses.

Unless there's that small chance that the sales guy just doesn't know it's there!

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Bromptonaut

Unless there's that small chance that the sales guy just doesn't know it's there!

Probably a very significant chance based on my experience of sales guys' lack of product knowledge.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - SLO76

Probably a very significant chance based on my experience of sales guys' lack of product knowledge.

Yup, used to drive me nuts when I was a salesman. Staff couldn't care less and rolled their eyes at me when I read my fill on new models and took an interest in them when they rolled off the transporter. I liked to know what I was selling.
Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - FiestaOwner

Hi Bex.

Spotted this overhead console on ebay. It seems to have the observation mirror. It's listed as fitting the S-Max. Don't know if it will fit your car. Hope this is of help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1639557-Genuine-Ford-S-Max-Galaxy-Focus-C-Max-Overhead-Console-Assembly-/222616401015?epid=1709773873&hash=item33d4f8b477:g:t5QAAOSwXXxZRS0T

Hi Bex.

Spotted this overhead console on ebay. It seems to have the observation mirror. It's listed as fitting the S-Max. Don't know if it will fit your car. Hope this is of help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1639557-Genuine-Ford-S-Max-Galaxy-Focus-C-Max-Overhead-Console-Assembly-/222616401015?epid=1709773873&hash=item33d4f8b477:g:t5QAAOSwXXxZRS0T

Wonderful. Thank you :)

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - FiestaOwner

Wonderful. Thank you :)

You're welcome.

You can probably also get it from the parts department at your Ford dealer. Part No: 1639557

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Nomag

Bex - understand your desire for this mirror. My dad had one in his C-max which was very useful, but our 2009 S-max just had the sunglassess holder. We had a stick on second mirror which did the job - but the suggestion of buying a genuine ford spare and fitting in the sunglasses holder position seems much better.

And glancing in a mirror to check on your child in the rear of the car is FAR safer than turning round to do so, which is what many do, so please everyone calm down before you critise. As a father of three I empathise.

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - SarahW

If you ask most parents, finding all the accessories to keep a baby safe and comfortable in the car is no mean feat and it will stretch your mind and pocket. You are not sure what to include and what to leave.

It’s a similar fate with baby car mirrors. You know it’s a regulatory requirement that kiddos should be carried in the appropriate age, weight and height specific baby car seat placed at the backseat. You also know infants should be in a rear facing car seat up to the age of about 2 years.

But it’s a common debate at homes, and among parent friends: do we or do we not use a baby car mirror?

Those against it will tell that in case it flies off in an accident, you have a dangerous projectile that will crash your baby’s head. That the scattering fragments will leave everyone with bruises and deep cuts, including pets. The scattering fragments will also tear your car upholstery.

They are those who find the mirror an unnecessary or dangerous distraction, what’s with the temptation to steal a glance into your LO reflection instead of concentrating on the road.

Let’s think about the many situations you find your baby when you leave him unmonitored for a dozen minutes. He or she gets hungry, soiled, bored, tired, and they may even get sick. A playful child may hurt himself on something, choke or sustain an injury, while a sleepy one may sleep hunched up, in a strained or precarious position.

Of course the child can’t help himself and sometimes they may not raise a signal that they need attention.

Going by this thought, my take is that the baby car mirror is a must-have item when on the road with your little one.

Even if you don’t have a backseat headrest, it's unadjustable or find it inappropriate, innovation has got you covered. We now have baby car mirrors that perfectly fit on the windscreen or sun visor.

Lacking the mirror would force you to keep on checking back to see your kid as you drive, thus trading one hazard for the other.

Another important fact to note is that the best mirrors are now made of acrylic plastic, equally or more reflective than your ordinary glass mirrors, and yet it cannot break into fragments under the strongest car crashes.

Needless to say that the reflective mirror will keep your baby entertained as he views himself in there. He also sees you in the mirror and gets reassured, thinking mummy is still with me. See, you get less yells until you reach your destination.

Edited by Avant on 09/05/2019 at 00:05

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Tom McKinlay

Hi

I would like to swap my child observation mirror for a sunglasses holder (fitted variety too small for my over sunglasses. Do you know the part number for the central positioned one?

Many Thanks

Tom

Ford S-MAX - Child Observation Mirror - Brit_in_Germany

Does this part number fit the bill? They appear to be on offer on Ebay.

6M21-U519A58-ADW