Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - Somerset_irish
Hi Folks,
I'm pondering replacing my trusty avensis with an awd estate. Safety and reliability are high on the requirements.
I've been looking at xc70s 2015 onwards and possibly a mondeo vignale (I know I know) but discounts of 20% are available.
I've discounted the skoda superb due to the weird load area. I had considered a Subaru but the dealer network is spa*** to say least.
I'd be interested to get people's thoughts if possible?

Many thanks
Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - badbusdriver

Why do you feel you need awd?. You refer to your avensis as trusty, implying you have had it for a while, so i'm just wondering what has changed about your situation that awd now seems necessary?.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - sandy56

DO you really need 4WD?

If you do then just get a proper one or even a soft roader like Honda CRV/Toyota RAV4/ LR EVoque?

Or just get a "good" Estate and put the best tyres on it?

That's a fair question. I've had the avensis for 3 years and its warranty finishes in December.
The commute to work is getting more dangerous it would appear. The winters on the commute route are reasonably tough as well. However you could argue that I've lasted without awd until now. I suppose it's covering off all bases as I do a lot of weekend driving in country lanes
Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - FiestaOwner

Does the AWD Vignal come with summer tyres (ie. normal tyres)?

Think most people on here are of the opinion, that a 2wd car on "All Seasons Tyres" will perform better in winter conditions than a AWD car on "summer tyres". Of course a AWD car on "All Seasons Tyres" would perform even better.

The other thing to bear in mind is when you come to trade in the Vignal, will it hold it's value? Or will its value be similar to a used Mondeo?

End of the day though it's your money. All cars lose money (some more than others). If you spend a lot of time in the car (and it's the one you really want) then when not go for it?

Edited by FiestaOwner on 06/08/2017 at 11:13

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - badbusdriver

I dont know much about the vignale, other than it being a posh mondeo. History suggests it (any posh ford) will depreciate catastrophically, so you need to bear this in mind if contemplating one, regardless of whether or not they are any good.

Regarding awd, going by what you have described, it doesnt seem to me like you need it. A fwd car on reasonable sized (not vast, elastic bands of rubber), good quality all weather tyres would manage just fine, given the sophistication of modern traction control systems.

I live in N E Scotland and am a self employed window cleaner, i have had my current ('06, 1.8 diesel) transit connect for more than 7 years now. I drive on some very rural roads, and have driven them in some very slippery conditions, but have never got stuck or found myself in a situation where i have felt awd would help. Oh, and i generally use all weather tyres, currently michelin's.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - tight git

The best answer is a second set of wheels with winter tyres that you can swap over. Before I got a company car that's what I did and they were so good I was getting up snow covered hills that an awd RAV was slithering up! The tyres were Contintal winter contacts.

Lots of people will come on and say we don't get the snow that necessitates this, but winter tyres are designed to work best in low temperatures (less than 7 degrees) not just snow and ice.

Now that I have a company Avensis the company will not allow me winter tyres and I have got it stuck twice in snow that I know winter tyres would easily cope with, once resulting in me leaving the car and walking home the last mile. The following morning the car had been broken in to resulting in a £700 bill, much more than the cost of winter tyres... I live on the North Yorks moors BTW.

Hope that helps

The best answer is a second set of wheels with winter tyres that you can swap over. Before I got a company car that's what I did and they were so good I was getting up snow covered hills that an awd RAV was slithering up! The tyres were Contintal winter contacts.

Lots of people will come on and say we don't get the snow that necessitates this, but winter tyres are designed to work best in low temperatures (less than 7 degrees) not just snow and ice.

Now that I have a company Avensis the company will not allow me winter tyres and I have got it stuck twice in snow that I know winter tyres would easily cope with, once resulting in me leaving the car and walking home the last mile. The following morning the car had been broken in to resulting in a £700 bill, much more than the cost of winter tyres... I live on the North Yorks moors BTW.

Hope that helps

I actually run 2 sets of wheels on my Fiesta (winter set has Continental TS800 tyres). Bought my winter set from MyTyres 5 years ago. Paid £350 delivered. Tyres were supplied fitted to steel wheels and were balanced. Just change them over myself.

When I change cars, I would probally opt to run All Seasons Tyres all year round. But I've never regretted getting the winter set for this car.

My Fiesta is horrific on it's factory tyres in a little snow. The difference between the winter tyres and the summer tyres in snow, really is remarkable.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - Avant

I've never heard a Superb's load area described as 'weird' before! If you get the estate, a variable boot floor is an option, eliminating both the lip and the difference between the boot floor and the folded rear seats.

You may find an Octavia Scout big enough - it's 4WD and comparable in size with an Avensis estate.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - Big John
I've discounted the skoda superb due to the weird load area.

What is weird about the Skoda Superb Estate boot? -It's well shaped and truly enormous.

The Saloon twindoor version(which I have) is a little weird due to it opening either as a boot or a hatch although I usually just use the hatch mode, the boot mode is very useful when stopped somewhere with restricted height such as on a ferry, on a Chunnel train or in some multistorey car parks.

Edited by Big John on 06/08/2017 at 12:04

Thanks for all the great responses.

I currently run the avensis on Michelin all seasons tyres for the reasons mentioned above. It's an option for the new car as well.

The superb estate appeared to have a dropped load bay in all the pictures ? Sounds like I was wrong. I know they are excellent cars as well

Yes the ford depreciation has me hesitant for sure so that is a factor.

I noticed no one has mention good or bad on xc70?
Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - Big John
I currently run the avensis on Michelin all seasons tyres for the reasons mentioned above. It's an option for the new car as well.

I also run Michelin Cross Climates on my Superb - great tyres, as well as the grip they are very quiet. However only available in certain sizes so make sure they are available for any car you a looking at

Edited by Big John on 06/08/2017 at 12:40

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - RT
Thanks for all the great responses. I currently run the avensis on Michelin all seasons tyres for the reasons mentioned above. It's an option for the new car as well. The superb estate appeared to have a dropped load bay in all the pictures ? Sounds like I was wrong. I know they are excellent cars as well Yes the ford depreciation has me hesitant for sure so that is a factor. I noticed no one has mention good or bad on xc70?

That's the "variable height boot floor" - drop it for maximum load depth or raise it to give spacious hidden storage - Octavia gets the same on higher trims, and is as big as an Avensis.

The modern "all-weather" tyres, Michelin CrossClimate and Nokian Weatherproof, are better than older All-Seasons.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - RobJP

I run a rear-wheel-drive BMW estate on Pirelli P zero from late-April to early November, and on Pirelli Sottozero tyres the rest of the time.

Never had any lairy moments in the last 3 years. I live in (very) rural North Wales.

Hi Folks, I'm pondering replacing my trusty avensis with an awd estate. Safety and reliability are high on the requirements. I've been looking at xc70s 2015 onwards and possibly a mondeo vignale (I know I know) but discounts of 20% are available. I've discounted the skoda superb due to the weird load area. I had considered a Subaru but the dealer network is spa*** to say least. I'd be interested to get people's thoughts if possible? Many thanks

I've no practical experience of any of the cars you mention. I would expect the NCAP scores would be good for all the cars you mention, but you would need to check yourself.

I know that when people ask about buying 2nd hand cars on this forum, they are usually pointed towards Toyota's and Honda's as being the most reliable. Does this opinion still stand when buying new?

Edited by FiestaOwner on 06/08/2017 at 14:37

Again thanks for all the answers and help it's really appreciated.

It all sounds a much of a muchness.
Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - Nomag

We currently run two AWD SUVs - a 6 year old IX35 and a 2 year old Sorrento.

I chose to buy a 4WD whne we moved to our current property in 2013 as we are at the end of a 1/2 mile long farm track.

However, in the 4.5 years here I don't honestly believe we have needed the 4WD once. The raised ground clearance is another matter, and I find that very useful, as is the longer travel suspension.

We only go the AWD Sorrento as we needed a large tow vehicle with good ground clearance, and all the suitable vehicles were AWD only. Otherwise I would have been happy with 2WD. The previous S-max never got stuck, but the track ruined the suspension!

When I replace my IX35 I'll be going back to 2WD.

Bear in the mind the increased fuel consumption of an AWD vehicle. Whether its full or part time, it WILL use more fuel than the 2WD equivalent, often quite significantly more.

I would echo what everyone else has said and agree good tyres are more important.

I run my IX35 on summer tyres April to October on the original 18" alloys and switch to 16" steelies with 70 profile winter tyres November to March. On the winter tyres the IX35 is VERY capable in snow.Swiching tyres bi-annually also allows rotation of the wheels which has kept tyre wear very even.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - RT

Most soft-roaders, specifically your Hyundai/Kia's, run in 2wd, ie FWD, mode virtually all the time - only transmitting power to the rear axle once the front starts slipping

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - gordonbennet

Without getting into the argument of whether you really need an AWD, you expressed a desire for one and it's your money so go and get one, technically we don't need them but SWMBO likes the utterly fantastic grip in almost any weather of hers no matter how she drives it (Subaru), and i like my old school separate chassis 4x4's, and until the dark days arrive when some appointed comrade appratchik deems us not allowed a permit we'll carry on buying what we want.

The reason you didn't pursue Subaru was the lack of dealers? well don't let that put you off, the only time you normally need to visit the dealer is for annual service, they are very very reliable unless you want an early Diesel which was not up their usual standards, the sure footedness combined with a supple ride except on the hairy stuff is brilliant.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - daveyjp

GB - the reason I have a Subaru is because I wanted one. Its always a good reason to buy anything!

I don't need 4x4. Its only been used on snow a couple of times, it hits muddy fields regularly through the rugby season, but the sure footedness is something I now take for granted.

As we now have a 4wd and a rear wheel drive car in the household when I last drove a FWD car it was a surprise to have front wheels struggling for grip.

My Forester is coming up to three years old - it had new front disks at first service due to severe wobble when braking, but since then the only issue has been a puncture. A few weeks ago I started getting some brake binding noise, probably as a result of the car not being used much during the week.

I had a morning taking each wheel off and cleaning the brakes/calipers - problem solved.

I've just ahd a couple of weeks in the Baltics and despite their severe winter weather saw very few 4x4s, but of those I did see many were Subarus. Most cars just had winter tyres fitted.

Ford Mondeo Vignale - AWD estate - carl233

The Vignale is a nice car to drive, although I would be very concerned about the depreciation. Time will tell but with the Ford badge and the fairly large numbers that seem to be around for what is an 'exclusive' vehicle according to the maker all the classic signs are there. I have a feeling that depreciation will be similar to the old Ford Granada and later Scorpio models. They did not tend to keep their value well!

Again thanks guys all great information. I really appreciate hearing people's experiences.
I really do like the Subaru brand however I do about 15k a year and getting the car to Chard for a service feels like a pain.
Agree with all about the Ford depreciation issue. I guess it's like the falling dagger in share dealing , at what point is it sensible to step in. As I've said there is about a fifth to have off list price.