What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2003 1.6 Auto. - Squeaky front window - bluenun

My front electric window goes down without making a noise but squeaks when going up/closing.

I have taken the door panel off and was expecting to see a motor that i could spray some oil on. Actually that may not be a good idea :)

But there is this silver pliable material coverng the whole door and is stuck on with thick black mastic all the way around.

Before I cut the mastic and try to plull the silver material off I want to make sure it is necessary.

Anyone have experinced with sorting a squeaky window out on this model of car?

Ford Focus 2003 1.6 Auto. - Squeaky front window - elekie&a/c doctor
The waterproof membrane should pull away from the mastic without too much damage ,or use a small trimming/ putty knife to get it started.i would release the lower part of the material to access the cable drive and plastic drum system to get some lube on the moving parts.i would also lube the rubber channels where the glass slides up and down

Thanks for your reply.

Lubing the side channels sorted out the problem.

Ford Focus 2003 1.6 Auto. - Squeaky front window - focussed

"Lubing the side channels sorted out the problem."

That's what I thought when I first read the thread - just about every vehicle I've owned has had this problem, and lubing the side channels gets rid of it and gives the regulator and the motor an easier time.

The best lubricant I have found is a silicone oil aerosol with a long straw spout to poke it down the channels and not get the silicone all over the door - WD 40 will get rid of the problem for a few weeks but doesn't last like silicone oil.

The car is nearly 14 years old so it lasted quite well before starting to squeak :)

Thank-you for the tip regarding using silicone based oil, I used WD 40 so can expect the squeak to come back soon.

I will buy some silicone based oil in an aerosole can next time I am in town.

"Lubing the side channels sorted out the problem."

That's what I thought when I first read the thread - just about every vehicle I've owned has had this problem, and lubing the side channels gets rid of it and gives the regulator and the motor an easier time.

The best lubricant I have found is a silicone oil aerosol with a long straw spout to poke it down the channels and not get the silicone all over the door - WD 40 will get rid of the problem for a few weeks but doesn't last like silicone oil.

Sorry about the double post - cat on keyboard!