What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Megane 1.9 science 2002 - Renault Megane Dci EGR valve - KCSRenault
Hello,

I have recently had my EGR valve removed and cleaned, when it was taken out if was rock solid with gunk and stuck shut and obviously had been for a long time.

He car has been well serviced over its life regular oil changes every 5000 miles etc, but for e last five or six years it had been used purely as a town car going 60 miles an hour for a max of 30 mins each trip once a week and 30 miles an hour everywhere else.

My question is, as honest John says the 1.9 and 1.5 dci, use ear valve to cool turbo, will it have caused damage or as it's an older model have I got of lightly?

Many thanks
Renault Megane 1.9 science 2002 - Renault Megane Dci EGR valve - elekie&a/c doctor

If it was rock solid with gunk,it probably was not working anyway.Very much doubt if any long lasting damage has been done on this old style engine.

Renault Megane 1.9 science 2002 - Renault Megane Dci EGR valve - madf

EGR valves work by cooling down an engine. If it has been used in town, it would not need cooling down but heating up...

Renault Megane 1.9 science 2002 - Renault Megane Dci EGR valve - Railroad.

The one and only purpose of the EGR is to reduce NOx emissions. It does this by reintroducing a small amount of exhaust gas back into the cylinder which is de-oxygenated. This in turn reduces combustion temperature and subsequently levels of Nitrogen Oxides which is the harmful pollutant in diesel exhaust. The biggest downside is the air intake gets clogged up due to the lower running temperature, and mix of engine oil mist and exhaust gas.

Renault Megane 1.9 science 2002 - Renault Megane Dci EGR valve - Fernando P

Well done for a very succinct description of the purpose of the EGR valve Railroad!