What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall corsa S Ecoflex - Car turning just not starting - Ryan109
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my corsa and hoping someone has been through something similar or can help in anyway through their experience and opinion.

I've had the car 6 months, it's only 3 years old, 33k miles on the clock,it was serviced on April 2016 and I recently had an MOT in September. Obviously it being a 1 litre there's literally no power etc but at the weekend I was parked on a slight hill facing downwards and I had it reverse once parked. When I started the car I didn't put my foot on the cluch and it stalled. When I started the engine I instantly knew something was wrong. It shuddered once it started and when I pushed the accelerator I heard a slight whirring noise. I had to drive he car back from Dundee to Glasgow and it literally just got there. Wouldn't get passed 60/70 just felt completely
Different. The next day it wouldn't start.

Breakdown came out tested battery etc didn't really know what was wrong with it. He did say something about the timing chain and it could be choked/missed a tooth? Took it to a garage and they changed the coil pack, spark plugs and camshaft sensor. That didn't fix the issue and they put my old parts back in (I thought I had an exetended warranty but it ran out last week)

So went to pick my car up and get the keys to get it moved back home and the guy said it could be the ecu or timing chain. The guy that came out to take it back home did a diagnosis and nothing was showing, the ecu was showing as fine. He also reckons it's skipped a tooth or something and reckons it's needs a new timing chain or if not that new head cylinder.

I've read a few forums on the internet and it could be a list of things, I just think if the car was running fine before I stalled it, wouldn't it be more likey be a wiring or pump issue rather than replacing the timing chain?

I know literally nothing about cars, but just having the car 6 months and then something as big as this going wrong because I stalled the car seems a little much for me. If it's correct fair enough.

Does anyone else have any ideas before I get the timing chain replaced?

Thanks for any feedback.
Vauxhall corsa S Ecoflex - Car turning just not starting - SLO76
The 1.0 3cyl engine in these is notorious for timing chain issues, often caused by neglected oil and filter changes but while you have maintained it correctly the trauma of starting it while in gear might just have stretched the chain or damaged a tensioner and knocked the timing out.

Sadly without hearing it I can't be sure but the cut in performance and rough running suggests the timing is out. You need to take it to someone you can trust that also knows what they're talking about. Ask friends and family for recommendations in your area.

On a further note. You've only had it 6mths and it's just 3yrs old.. is there no warranty left? Has it a full main dealer service history? Even out of warranty there may be some goodwill that might make the main dealer the cheapest option to fix it.
Thanks for your reply.

The breakdown recovery guys suggested it does sound as if it's chain. They also checked the oil and it was fully topped up.

I reckon you are right as a few people have mentioned the same thing. I don't really know anyone that I can go to but I'll be sure to ask about in work!

I phoned vauxhall, when I got the car there was an extended warranty with it but it ran out as it was just over the three years unfortunately.

I guess I'll look at a few garages and get the timing chain replaced.

Thanks for your help.
Vauxhall corsa S Ecoflex - Car turning just not starting - Railroad.

Incorrect valve timing can be easily identified by using a gauge to check inlet manifold vacuum. At idle the vacuum should read about 21in/hg. If it's low but steady at about 10 - 15in/hg then the valve timing should be suspected. It does sound like this is the issue by what you describe. If the camshaft sensor was replaced due to a fault code then it's as good as certain that the valve timing is incorrect.

Vauxhall corsa S Ecoflex - Car turning just not starting - Jjones1750
Hi I know this is old but I need help I recently fitted a new chain and gears, when I checked the timing all seemed ok but when I had finished I tried to start the car and at first it was having none of it but eventually after a few turns of the key it runs with no codes present. After turning the car off it still doesn’t want to start any help would be really appreciated.
Vauxhall corsa S Ecoflex - Car turning just not starting - hardway

You seem like you don't think stalling the engine is a big thing but I've seen timing belts and chains jump exactly because the engine stalled;

You can think of it as unnatural engine behavior,

they're not ment to stop like that.

I've even had a few instances where a car with a flat battery was bump started and jumped the cam timing as a result.

So just stalling is a little more than you would suspect.

Yeah I had no idea stalling my car could result in this, poor knowledge on my part.

Quick question, what happens to learner cars and learner drivers that can stall daily? Different cars different problems?
"Quick question, what happens to learner cars and learner drivers that can stall daily? Different cars different problems?"

Good point. I used to sell a fair number of new Mitsubishi Colts to driving schools who loved them for their ability to lap up abuse from learner drivers. Many were part exchanging Clio's and Corsa's that had been cheaper to buy but cost them far more in repairs over the years. One used to chop his Colt in every three years with the guts of 200k on it!

It was quite common on Micra's that had been used as driving school cars to encounter stretched timing chains. But belt driven cars seem to take it better assuming the belt, tensioners and water pump are replaced on schedule. The Corsa 1.0 is probably the worst for chain issues though.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/12/2016 at 22:52

Ah that clears it up then. I will book my car in to get its timing chain replaced and fingers crossed that solves it.

Thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated.
Obviously ask whoever you get to look at it to diagnose it properly. We're making an assessment based on what information we have but none of us have heard or looked at the car to confirm it. You don't want to be replacing the chain unnecessarily but it does sound like a likely cause. Best of luck and let us know how you got on.
So the timing was out and needed replaced, aswell as the inlet valves as they had bent in the process. Also needed new brake pads and disks which cost in total £899 parts and labour.

When I got the car back the engine rattled like hell when I looked under the bonnet, I was aware my coil pack was apparently corroded so I changed that and the spark plugs and it's settled the engine down.

The only thing I'm experiencing is the car shuddering/vibrating when idle. If I stop at a red light it shudders slightly and vibrates. Sometimes it feels like it's going to stall. I took it back to the garage and they can't identify anything being wrong with it. The only thing is it wasn't like this before the timing went. It's was really quiet and smooth. I feel like I've changed a lot in a newer car that everything should feel like new again! They said it happens with a 3 cylinder car but it didn't happen before. I don't know if I keep using the car it'll get worse!

Any ideas?
"Any ideas?"

Get rid of it and don't buy another one!
Trust me, the thought of it sounds wonderful but unfortunately have 4 and a half years left of a 5 year finance agreement!

Well and truly shafted me thinks!!
Vauxhall corsa S Ecoflex - Car turning just not starting - hardway

I'm going to guess here they unhooked the battery?

Corsa's require a throttle body reset procedure after battery dissconection,

Simple to do IF you have Vaux diagnostics.

And if you know about TB resets.

I'm not too sure mate, I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow.

I left my car with them today, but by the sounds of it he is pretty much saying it's common in these types of cars that run 3 cylinders, it certainly wasn't like that before repairs though otherwise I wouldn't have bothered him.

I'll say to him tomorrow about the battery and see what he says.

Thanks again
Trust me, the thought of it sounds wonderful but unfortunately have 4 and a half years left of a 5 year finance agreement! Well and truly shafted me thinks!!

Nightmare! All the more reason for doing homework before buying a car, sadly few people do but I'm sure you'll be on here asking what to buy next time. Look into advice from hardway, he speaketh the truth. May be something simple. If not then the repair hasn't been done correctly.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/01/2017 at 15:05