What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - Simmo1111

I recently posted a question regarding the 'dreaded dpf filter' as I was looking for a 4X4 diesel SUV without one. Many of you good chaps were more than helpful with your replies and I thank you for that.

Having taken note of the advice given, I have finally slapped myself around the back of the head and decided that I can live without the 4X4 aspect and also a diesel (due to my low mileage of maybe 11K annually) isn't actually required. This has resulted in me considering more options and I have come up with my shortlist at this point:

Honda CRV 2.0 I-VTEC which has mpg figures of:

Urban: 31.7

Extra Urban: 45.6

Average: 39.2

Mitsubishi ASX 1.6 with mpg figures of:

Urban: 36.7

Extra Urban: 57.6

Average: 47.1

Kia Sportage 1.6 GDi with mpg figures of:

Urban: 37.7

Extra Urban: 48.7

Average: 44.1

Obviously these figures won't be 100% accurate but hopefully not too far away from the realistic mpg.

I can go to maybe £11K or so at a push.

Most of my trips are in the region of 20 mile round trips or so but I will also do the odd 200 mile round trip for a visit to the coast. My requirements are still a high ride height and good ground clearance, hence my shortlist.

Obviously reliability goes without saying so any thoughts here would be welcome.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice regarding the 3 cars I'm looking at or any other suitable alternatives?

Thanks very much.

Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - Palcouk

Since you have posted to HJ, why have you not researched the fuel cost under "Real MPG" on the HJ site?

Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - Simmo1111

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at that bit.

Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - gordonbennet

My son and DiL's recently aquired 13 plate CRV is averaging around 33mpg, which considering its use is general running about and DiL's 6 or 7 miles to the station and back isn't too bad, reliability should, with a well maintained Honda be a given, they are very pleased with it...they traded their previous Diesel 05 plate CRV to get it, that too proved a good car, nothing really to report, no failures and no breakdowns.

I wouldn't be too keen on a NA 1.6 petrol hauling the weights of the above vehicles about and would expect, unless first gear is sensibly low, a possibility of early clutch failures getting the things moving from rest and at moving junctions, a quick peruse of HJ's real fuel figures should give a better idea of fuels than the really rather pointless official test figures.

I have a feeling a couple MPG in it either way isn't going to worry you too much, and i wouldn't be too put off a proper full time 4x4 transmission, though always best on sensible sized and type of tyres, such a transmission does give class leading grip in all weathers and will more than cope with anything you are likely to throw at it, indeed a decent example might allow you to reach places you otherwise may baulk at.

So i'd like to throw Subaru into the mix, the obvious contender being Forester, they last for donkeys years with decent maintenance, Subaru sensibly don't agree with this sealed for life nor long life servicing cobblers, and you might find main dealer servicing to be more expensive than the others on paper, however they are made to be worked on unlike some other makes so if you have a competent tame indy on tap looking after a Subaru will be a pleasure for him...well apart from changing the spark plugs..:-)

Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - Falkirk Bairn

My CRV has been 100% reliable in the 4+ years ownership.

Underpowered for the size of car & auto does not know when to change up/down at times.

My EX has all the toys, very comfortable, no rattles & apart from being underpowered & thirsty it has been a good buy.

I knew about the lack of power (USA have 2.4 with 35BHP extra) but the thirst is under 30mpg for me - I had it doing 31/32 at best.

For real MPG look HJs articles & tables

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 20/11/2016 at 14:31

Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - RobJP

Regarding mpg, you'll find that 'realistic' figures are probably close to the 'urban' figures. So 20-25% under the official 'combined' figures.

That lot goes out of the eindow for PHEV/hybrid vehicles.

Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - colinh

...and if you use the fuel calculator, you'll find you're in the region of £1500 per annum for fuel on 11,000 miles - so a difference of +/- 20% in consumption will be £300 per annum. Set against the other costs of car ownership, it shouldn't be the major factor in the choice of car.

Honda/Mitsubishi/Kia. - 2WD Petrol SUV Advice. - SLO76
All three are good options, well made, spacious and should prove reliable.

I have a current CRV 1.6 DTEC and it's outstanding on fuel, getting very close to the official fuel figures with a 56mpg average and up to 65mpg on a gentle longer run. It's also huge inside but unlike many large SUV's it's not too wide to fit comfortably in parking spaces. We think it's an ideal big family wagon and reliability should prove top notch especially with the tried and tested near bombproof 2.0 petrol. If we had been doing less mileage we'd've bought a used 2.0 petrol.

The Sportage is smaller but still well made and the 2.0 4wd diesel i drove was pleasant enough to drive. Owner had only one complaint and that was it's appetite for front brake discs. Can't vouch for drivability of the 1.6 GDi engine but I'd imagine it struggles a bit when it comes to B road overtaking. It's certainly not a rocket ship in the lighter Cee'd. The 7yr warranty (if the car has a full dealer history) is a big plus though.

Never driven the Mitsubishi but I was a salesman for one of their dealerships in the 90's and have a soft spot for many of their older products which were very robust. Sadly financial difficulties have seen the firm struggling in recent years with garbage like the Mirage and an otherwise dated range. The ASX does look like one of the better cars in their current lineup but it doesn't hold its money as well as the CRV or look as good as the Sportage in my opinion. There will always be keen buyers for a well looked after CRV.

Sadly with Renault taking control of the firm it's likely they'll be reduced to making rebodied Renault's just as Nissan does today.