What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford mondeo - which model - gluv5301
I am looking to buy a Mondeo 2.0 tdci, as per your recommendations, however I am confused as to which variant to buy as the engine comes with different outputs ie 140 bhp, or 160 hp. I am wanting a titanium variant . Can you recommend which option to go for considering running costs, road tax etc.
ford mondeo - which model - S40 Man
I have 2.0 tdci Mondeo estate. On 33 mile A road or motorway commute I get around 53 mpg which tallies with autotrader combined mpg figure. 2.2 figure is 47 mpg. The 2.2 is 10% bigger so will be around 10% more on fuel.

Tax for 2.0 is £130 and 2.2 is £180
For average 10000 miles that might be an extra £100-£150 on fuel and £50 tax not a massive consideration or presumably you'd look at something more economical anyway.

For me the 2.0 tdci has enough poke for general driving. It's a pretty sweet engine and has been reliable.

Probably more choice of 2.0 tdci but if you can find a nice 2.2 try it out.

James S
ford mondeo - which model - craig-pd130
I have 2.0 tdci Mondeo estate. On 33 mile A road or motorway commute I get around 53 mpg which tallies with autotrader combined mpg figure. 2.2 figure is 47 mpg. The 2.2 is 10% bigger so will be around 10% more on fuel.

Ford must have updated the injection system & mapping, my 2008 2.0TDCI estate (140bhp) manual would struggle to get about 45mpg on motorways, and averaged 42.5mpg in my ownership (3 years and 38,000 miles from new).

Excellent car overall, though. My only other criticism apart from the economy is that the gearing was too long in 4th & 5th gear, there was too big a gap between 3rd and 4th. A shorter 4th gear would be better for acceleration and pick-up.
ford mondeo - which model - sandy56
I have the same 2L engine in my large Peugeot estate auto, and get about 42-3 mpg. I have the 165 bhp engine and I like having the extra power.
ford mondeo - which model - Graham567
I have a 59 plate 2.0 tdci(140 bhp).It averages 38 round town and 53 on a run.Road tax is £185 (i think the newer models are less).

Its now 6 years old and i only mainly do trips around town,maybe not more than 3 miles and i have never had any trouble with the dpf.I reset the trip computer after its done a regen and then when it reaches around 550 miles i take it for a spirited run keeping the revs high.This starts a regen and it lasts about 10 minutes.

I do make sure the oil is changed every year and only with low ash oil.I also use Shell Optimax as i feel it keeps everything cleaner and also the car has more power and is smoother and does more to the gallon which off sets the extra cost.

I only do 7000 miles a year and all the doom mongers on here will say that i should have got a petrol model.They were selling them off,prereg,with £7500 off list so it was too good an offer to miss.
I like the way the diesel drives compared to the petrol.Also the exhaust lasts longer due to no water being given out.This Mondeo has been more reliable than any petrol cars i've had and i have no intention of changing any time soon.