What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - bob6000bob

It is time for us to get a younger replacement for our 1.7 petrol Honda FR-V (which we are keeping on as a second car). I am expecting to finance using PCP and would prefer an arrangement where the total cost over three years is under £10k.

Due to a relatively low annual mileage (no more than 10k) and multiple short trips (typical journey in the week 5-10 miles) it needs to be another petrol. The Qashqai with the 1.2 DIG-T engine and NConnecta trim is the main contender.

We took a test drive and the engine coped pretty well but it was a little bit underpowered. (Having put up with similar performance from the Honda for years I was hoping for something with a bit more in reserve for overtaking). In terms of spec there was very little wanting from the NConnecta. Finance wise, there are deals to be had on price and Nissan seem willing to guarantee fairly high final value which keeps the total cost over 3 years well within the range .

What else should we consider?

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - RobJP

There is a 163HP 1.6 litre petrol engine version.

In real-world motoring, you'd probably not see much difference in economy between the 115 (1.2L) version and that, because you'd not have to rev the nuts off it all the time.

Might well find the 163 better to drive too.

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - 72 dudes

The Qashqai is probably the best of the bunch.

The Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson are similar animals but have weak petrol engines which are not easy to find (see seperate thread).

The RAV4 is bigger but not as good, the new Honda HRV might be a slightly smaller contender.

The Kuga with the 1.5 petrol engine might be worth a look, the current model Tiguan is due to be replaced in the next 6 months, so there might be deals on the 1.4 TSi.

The Renault Nadger, err Kadjar is basically the same as the Qashqai but the 1.2T has 128 BHP/151 lb/ft in place of the Nissan's 113 BHP/140 lb/ft so might answer your concerns over lack of power.

Thanks for those comments. The Renault was on my short-list but we are not that close to a dealer and I don't want to schelp back and forth for each service during the warranty period. Same problem for Suzuki only more so (i.e. the nearest dealer is not near at all).

I share the concerns over the Kia/Hyundai petrol engine and I am finding it impossible (in any practical sense) to test drive that version as no dealer seems to have them available as demonstrators. The models are a bit young to have much nearly new stock around (if anyone has bought them in the first place).

I like the look of the HRV and have had no complaints with the old FRV (plus the Honda dealer service has always been really good). The pricing is working against it and I fear that the performance would be very much like the 1.7 petrol engine in the FRV (not much fun). Again, not easy to find a petrol to test.

I see that both the Tiguan and the Kuga are due to be updated so there are some possible deals on the outgoing (definitly the Ford). Entirely my own choice but I have an issue with buying a new car which starts to look "old" after a month or two.

I quite like the look of the forthcoming SEAT Ateca (with the 1.4 tSI 150 BHP engine) but as that will be brand new in September I think it will be out of my budget for the next 9 - 12 months at least.

I made the mistake of test driving a Skoda Superb, with effectively the same 1.4 TSI ACT (150 BHP) engine. Considering the size of the car it moved it surprisingly well. With my head on straight I can't really justify something quite so big (and it hasn't quite got the same "look" that the other half is hankering after).

Think I will try and get a test in a Qashqai with the 1.6 DIG-T, see if it is worth the extra.

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - I'm a Pane

"Nissan seem willing to guarantee fairly high final value"

Be careful. This usually equals zero equity in the deal when you come to replace at the end of 3 years. If you are not putting any/much deposit in to get to your monthly payment then fine, but if you are then don't expect any of it back to help on the next PCP.

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - daveyjp

Shame you have no Suzuki dealer as you could look at the new Vitara.

A friend picked one up a few weeks ago and it is an excellent package for the money - IIRC she paid about £15k and its not the base spec.

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - SteVee

Would you consider a Mazda CX-5 or CX-3 ? They appear to be following a different development principle with their 'right-sized' engines (and proper auto-boxes)

Comments duly noted but any world where you think you have "built up equity" via a PCP deal simply means that you have overpaid during the 36 month/24 month lease period. It is a way of tying you into the cycle as the only way to release the equity is to roll the deal or buy the car.

My aim would be to pay under the PCP the actual depreciation of the car plus the finance cost and no more.

I want the manufacturer/dealer to take some risk on the used car value. If the GFMV is too low then any "equity" I might build up could be eliminated by a drop in the residual value of the car - I am carrying the risk.

If they guarantee a slightly higher GFMV and the residual values drop away, I just walk away from the car at the end of the 3 years - they carry the risk.

If they do their maths right then the residual value is exactly the same as the GFMV. I can choose to buy the car at its trade-in value or not.

If I have no intention at all of buying the car in 3 years time, I would probably be better off looking at finance leases as the total cost over 3 years tends to come in lower than the equivalent costs on a PCP deal. The difference betwen the finance lease cost and the PCP lease cost goes into a savings account et voila, I have my "equity" in a bank account and not in a 3 year old car.

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - Avant

The 1.6 petrol Qashqai was on my shortlist - until SWMBO and I test-drove one.

In fairness, if your main requirement is to get from A to B in comfort, the Qashqai will do you very well, and certainly the 1.6 wasn't short of acceleration. But we found the suspension wallowy and the steering curiously remote from the driven wheels. No fun to drive.

The Mazdas mentioned above could be a good suggestion - I believe that spare wheels are now available as an option which they weren't when I looked earlier this year.

If the Superb is bigger than you need, try an Octavia estate with the 1.4 TSI engine. It's a foot shorter than the Superb but has as much room for people and luggage as most people would need.

Heading out tomorrow morning for a test drive so I will try and pop some comments on here following.

I consider the Mazda CX3 a bit too small but the Mazda CX5 would most likely be good. To be honest they are a little bit pricey and again, our nearest dealer isn't actually that nearby.

Just a quick update. I managed to get into a 1.6 DIG-T Qashqai at the weekend and honestly, I was underwhelmed. I didn't notice any significant improvement in performance over the 1.2 DIG-T tested a couple of weeks ago. Manged to get to motorway speed over some dual carriageway and in 6th gear, foot to floor - very little response.

Not that it was a poor drive but I had hoped for some slightly more noticeable grunt and it wasn't really there.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother paying the premium over the 1.2 DIG-T engine and in fact I am going off to talk to Skoda dealers about an Octavia with the 1.4 TSI (150 BHP) engine, which gave much more satisfying drive (IMHO).

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - Avant

No surprises there, Bob. The Qashqai is fine for getting families from A to B - which is why it sells so well - but if you enjoy driving it comes over as a pudding, particularly in the handling department.

I hope you enjoy the Octavia: the three I had were all 2-litres, but the 1.4 TSI is a fine engine and easily man enough to pull the Octavia along briskly. The Octavia doesn't have the Qashqai's high driving position, but there's no lack of room for people and luggage. It's worth going for the estate which is no longer than the hatchback.

Edited by Avant on 21/06/2016 at 00:29

Nissan Qashqai - Sensible alternatives to Petrol Qashqai? - Nickdm

Have you given any consideration to the Mitsubishi ASX? It is a big seller down here (Australia/New Zealand) and Mitsi price them very keenly.

Another left-field choice would be the Ssangyong Tivoli. HJ (and others) give them very positive reviews... Selling well too I believe.

Dacia Duster as an extreme outsider?!