What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - Manwell9000

Hi,

Long story short.

After waiting many months for a replacement car seat to no avail as they dont make them any more.

The Insurence company engineer is trying to source a second hand seat. Am I within my rights to refuse the seat?

The frame on my seat is broken but the "skin" is fine. The plan surgested by the engineer is to take my leather skin off and put it on the second hand seat.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Can I turn away the idea or do i have to accept its the only option left to me.

Thanks in advance.

Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - RT

No - all insurance policies will have clauses defining the insurers' liability if parts aren't available.

Your car is now used - so used parts are just like-for-like

Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - Manwell9000

I guess i will have to check my policy. :(

Who gets final say on if the part is fit?

Could I be given a seat that is scuffed or aesthetically in a poorer condition than what i had?

Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - RobJP

Aesthetics and scuffs don't matter. As you said, they propose putting the 'skin' or cover from your old seat onto the replacement one.

As said, it is a used car. So replacing with used parts if no new ones are available is perfectly acceptable.

However, it sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse not to accept the repair.

They are going to put my leather cover back on but the backing of the seat will be part of the second hand seat.

I'm trying to protect my investment and resale value of my car. Safety is also a concern.

I can't be happy that my mint condition Focus RS Mk2 is getting second hand parts from a probable write off, that's all.

Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - RobJP

You are assuming that the parts will come from a write-off.

You state that you aren't happy about secondhand parts. But then you go on about protecting your investment - which is, lets face it, a secondhand car (or third, or fourth ...).

So in one way, secondhand is crap. But in another way, its 'an investment'

Slightly hypocritical, perhaps ?

The part is coming from a police recovery. Im going to check over the part prior to installation.

It is a second hand car. I have looked after it very well and when someone crashes into a car like that and ruins it.

Then someone offers you a replacment part from an ill maintianed car im not sure anyone would be quick to take that option without asking advice first

Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - RT

The part is coming from a police recovery. Im going to check over the part prior to installation.

It is a second hand car. I have looked after it very well and when someone crashes into a car like that and ruins it.

Then someone offers you a replacment part from an ill maintianed car im not sure anyone would be quick to take that option without asking advice first

Life's not fair - we all know that - you don't know the history of the donor vehicle, police recovery could be for a number of reasons.

Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - alan1302

It's a seat inner from a 2nd hand car - what kind of problems to you think it could have?

Ford Focus RS Mk2 - Insurance company trying to use second hand parts - Miniman777

Looks to me your best option, given the time the car has been off the road, is to take the 2nd hand frame. Otherwise it's stalemate and your car is off the road ufn.

I'd check that the seat frame has no damage or cracks like your previous one.

We'd all like new parts but when it's not safety related, used can be a better option. Make the best of a bad situation.