What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - Xephron

Hello,

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium X 3dr 125, 15 plate, I bought it this year in January from a Ford dealership under their Ford Direct scheme, so 1 previous owner under their employment, had 5.2k miles and now just under 10k.

From when I owned it, from the first time I reversed, mainly uphill, when I would engage the clutch, it would make a whining/groaning/straining noise. It never happened on a none slope and never happened in first gear whether on a slope or not.

Never happens on initial bite, or when fully engage. I didn't think anything of the noise I've never owned a "new" car before or driven a such a small engine, minimum 1.6 so never felt a small engine like 1.0 or 1.2 struggle.

So I just assumed that because it's a 1.0L turbo, when the turbo is not spooled, it struggles uphill with just the clutch and no gas, particularly in reverse, maybe to do with the gear ratio. Basically I didn't think you could have a clutch problem on a new car like this, so I just shrugged it off, so all I thought I was hearing was the strain from the drive train from a small engine being asked to roll uphill without the turbo spooled in reverse.

Mind you it didn't sound like a healthy noise, so I shouldn't have just ignored it, but from then on I tried my best to give gas and engage clutch alot faster, but on really steep hills, you have to feed the clutch more gradually so it's un avoidable.

So the reason for me to make this post is that now I hear this noise going forward as well, but only up hill or trying to roll over a kerb. Basically where there is more strain during clutch engagement. But as I said before, it's not during initially bite or once fully engaged.

Therefore now I believe there actually is a problem, and for some reason I feel like it maybe the pressure plate?

I've not noticed the clutch slipping, even in 5th gear doing 120mph(not illegally), car launches fine, however sometimes if I by accidentally engage clutch too quickly without enough gas, it "skips/hops" and judders, and I don't mean the tyres, I've managed to spin the tyres on launch or have them on the edge of grip,i know what that feels and sounds like.

I'll also mention that I haven't smelt burning sound when I hear that whining/groaning/staining sound.

My previous car (Peugeot 206 1.6 16v xsi) 110bhp, I drove that car from 2nd hand at 50k miles to 100k miles, all with the same clutch from new, and ragged that thing, would do hard launches at lights etc, that car has very similar 0-60 time as this Fiesta, slower by 0.2 seconds. I understand it has alot less torque, I also rev match when downshifting, so what I'm trying to say is, I'd like to think if I made that clutch last that long, I'm decent at clutch use, especially since 50k of my own miles are all local streets miles +50k of previous owner.

My question is, and maybe I should have asked this before going into so much detail, is this normal or do I have a problem.

Secondly, what can I do about it?

Still under warranty but clutch comes under wear and tear?

Thank you in advance.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - Bolt

I really dont know the car as I hate Fords, but if they can hear the problem themselves I think they should look at it and rectify

I can understand why clutches these days dont last long though when drivers have to rev a lot higher to get any pulling power from the engine.

All the time you have the problem I`d take it back untill its sorted

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - Galaxy

I'm afraid there's every chance your car previously was used in a driving school. They buy them brand new, use them for six months, then trade them in and buy another new car.

We all know what learner drivers do to clutches.

I'm afraid there's every chance your car previously was used in a driving school. They buy them brand new, use them for six months, then trade them in and buy another new car.

We all know what learner drivers do to clutches.

5k miles in 6 months in a driving school sounds too low.

This car is a titanium x, 3dr, heated seats, zetec S body kit and 17" optional allows, which were in mint condition.

I don't see a driving school using a car with this kind of spec.

Thank you for replying though.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - Galaxy

Sorry, you are correct. They wouldn't buy the luxury version which you clearly have, they would have bought a fairly basic one.

If you can't get anywhere getting the problem fixed by the dealer you purchased the car from, couldn't you try a different Ford Main dealer in your area?

Sorry, you are correct. They wouldn't buy the luxury version which you clearly have, they would have bought a fairly basic one.

If you can't get anywhere getting the problem fixed by the dealer you purchased the car from, couldn't you try a different Ford Main dealer in your area?

I haven't been anywhere yet, I've never had a fairly new car like this, never had to deal with main dealers or use any kind of warranty, so I'm here to get some advice before I go knocking on their door :)

I really dont know the car as I hate Fords, but if they can hear the problem themselves I think they should look at it and rectify

I can understand why clutches these days dont last long though when drivers have to rev a lot higher to get any pulling power from the engine.

But for them to only just last 5k miles compared to 100k is quite a difference.

Edited by Xephron on 05/04/2016 at 10:22

Thats modern tech for you!

Thats modern tech for you!

I love this car, it's better than my previous one in every way, it was the perfect upgrade, tad higher top speed, tad faster to 60mph, yet £0 road tax, and minium 30% better mpg.

A lot more luxury, Cruise control, reverse camera + parking sensors, Bluetooth... Though that's stopped working xD

So I'm hoping nothing is actually wrong with the clutch.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - slkfanboy

I've not noticed the clutch slipping, even in 5th gear doing 120mph(not illegally), car launches fine, however sometimes if I by accidentally engage clutch too quickly without enough gas, it "skips/hops" and judders,

I'll also mention that I haven't smelt burning sound when I hear that whining/groaning/staining sound.
  • 120mph?
  • Accidentally engaging clutch it "skips and judders"

Sounds to me abuse which has kill the clutch/bearings. Driving hard off the blocks is kill your clutch

• 120mph?

Sounds to me abuse which has kill the clutch/bearings. Driving hard off the blocks is kill your clutch

I appreciate your input, firstly those points you're referring too happened a couple of times, Secondly as I stated at start of my post, this noise was there from the beginning, I just didn't make anything of it at the time, until it got worse and I started hearing it not only in reverse but also going forward.

• 120mph?

Also that would suggest that hitting the top speed of your car a couple of times or stalling your car a couple of times would cause your clutch to fail already?

Highly doubt that, also I drove my previous car that I stated earlier alot harder, but it's clutch still lasted 100k, that car was abused alot more, it was second hand, where as this is fairly new, 5k when I bought it, I've treated it miles better.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - Avant

Take it back to the dealer: it's still under warranty. Emphasise that the problem has been there in reverse since you bought it, and has now got worse (thus explaining why you waited for three months). Keep quiet about any racing starts and 120 mph bursts you may have done.

Clutches are normally a wear and tear item, but you are on firmer ground if the problem was there from the beginning and the dealer is persuaded that you haven't done the wearing and tearing.

Take it back to the dealer: it's still under warranty. Emphasise that the problem has been there in reverse since you bought it, and has now got worse (thus explaining why you waited for three months). Keep quiet about any racing starts and 120 mph bursts you may have done.

Clutches are normally a wear and tear item, but you are on firmer ground if the problem was there from the beginning and the dealer is persuaded that you haven't done the wearing and tearing.

Thank you, very much appreciated.

Would I have to take it to the ford dealer I bought it from? It's like 150 miles away.

As long as its a Ford Main Dealer it doesnt matter which one

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - Zach millar
Hi there

I’m having the exact same problem with my car which is the same as yours .

Did you find out what the problem was or if there even was a problem?

Any help appreciated :)

Zach
Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.0L 125 Clutch Problem - Avant

The original question was 3 years ago and we haven't heard from him since. I'll move this to the Technical section and see if anyone can help.