Any - Oldest original exhaust? - John F

Last week while preparing our 2000 Focus 1.6 for its MoT I noticed the hanger at the front of the cat had completely corroded through leaving its supporting rods dangling. Fortunately my indy was able to weld them back for a tenner and achieve yet another pass with no advisories (apart from the brake fluid, oil, coolant and belts ;-). I am amazed that a bog standard Ford exhaust can last so long.

It doesn't seem long since the T**** vans were rattling around the counties with parts carefully engineered to expire about a month after the 3yr guarantee. Any advance on 16yrs? (not counting aftermarket SS exhausts)

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - gordonbennet

Merc's 20, Landcruiser's 16, Outback's 14, all have had replacement tail pipes (2 on the Merc) but the rest of the systems are still good.

I want the tail pipe to rust away on the Outback because the one fitted is from the 2.5 by the look of it and doesn't have the 2 stage silencer fitment so is restricting faster flow rates...understandable mind because the correct OE tail silencer for the 3 litre is near enough what we paid for the car, soon as i can justify ripping it off its having a rather more 'suitable' tail section made to let it breathe again.

The main section of the Landcruiser looks well rusty in places but is heavy gauge so might last quite a while yet (not a mention on any mot), the centre silencer has a similar two stage fitment to the Subaru, and it too costs an arm and leg (OE only, no aftermarket), but the lads on the LC forum have found that the near enough straight through Diesel centre pipe fits, but you need to cut the longer and last forever front fitting off the petrol silencer and weld it to the new Diesel one before offering it up, worth doing because there's about a £400 saving to be made when totalled up...not that keen on full stainless, they tend to sound a bit tinny to me.

Tried to get a stainless tail pipe for the Merc last year, but the shape over the back axle means a really tight turn into a suitable silencer and the only way the exhaust fitter could do the job was to fit a so called sporty silencer which he wouldn't do cos it would sound just wrong, fair play to him.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - slkfanboy

Since most of my car have been Jag/Merc and BMWs no exhaust issues. I currently have a 4yrs old ford and Merc, have to see how they go.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - Mike H

We sold our Saab 9-5 last October, at 230,000 miles and 12 years old, with the original exhaust, except for the flexible section that had to be replaced a year before. And only a couple of weeks before we sold it we had €20 worth of welding done where the pipe came out of the intermediate box, just to fill a small hole. I believe the key was that it wasn't usually used on very short journeys, so always got hot enough to burn off any condensation.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - RT

Modern exhausts last almost infinitely longer than those from the "olden days" - better materials, better design and very controlled gas composition means that modern exhausts are far more likely to corrode from the outside in, rather than fron inside out.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - Cyd

I had hoped it would have fallen off by now, but my Saab's exhaust is 10 years and 100k and completely original. I had a look while it was on the MoT ramp a few weeks ago - still no signs of it giving up.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - Mike H

I had hoped it would have fallen off by now, but my Saab's exhaust is 10 years and 100k and completely original. I had a look while it was on the MoT ramp a few weeks ago - still no signs of it giving up.

You might find the outer skin of the rear box flakes off (it's almost like double glazing, with two distinct layers of steel with a gap between), but it doesn't really matter as it's nothing to do with the box being gas-tight. Bits of mine were falling off for years! The last bit I pulled off was about 6" by 12".....

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - hillman

My Subaru Legacy/Outback 2.5 petrol has the original exhaust system and it's coming up for ten years old and 103,000 miles.

This is quite different to all of the cars I have owned previously. When I lived in Zambia the exhausts and silencers were not on sale. If you needed a replacement it was by arrangement with a welding shop. Any steel pipe would do. My friend had a Ford Zephyr and he himself made the silencer from a 4 inch pipe. It sounded a bit hollow but not unduly noisy.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - Wackyracer

My Citroen (now 15years old) has still got the entire original exhaust and hangers, all still in good condition. I think alot of it has to do with the usage of the car. It does mostly long journey's which allow the exhaust to fully dry out inside.

The Astra which is used for mainly short journeys has had 4 or 5 rear boxes and a front link pipe. The rear boxes all rotted from the inside out due to never drying out properly.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - Big John

My 2003 170k miles Skoda Superb I had (and still has) it's original exhaust when I sold it recently

....as well as original battery & clutch !!

Edited by Big John on 15/03/2016 at 19:22

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - nailit

Any thoughts on what type of steel is used ? did a quick google and found one site saying SS 409 is the general choice, but same site states ss 304 is sometimes referred to as 'marine grade', which I thought was 316. ??

Back to topic;

1999 (June) Passat still original exhuast at 187k miles, coming up to 17 years - not bad. Same clutch, etc. only servicable items changed; disks/pads, batteries...

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - dimdip

2003 Forester with 98,000 miles still on its original system but getting a little noisy now so some leaks appearing I guess.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - John F

Thanks, all. Looks as though 'nailit' claims the record so far - those old Passats really were good; we had two second hand ones and got a total of 400,000m out of them.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - FoxyJukebox

Apart from a small bracket replacment--my 2007 Audi A3 exhaust seems good as new. However-I always ask for it to be thoroughly checked(really thoroughly!) at each annual service, since pipes coming away and falling off on both long and short journeys tend to bring total immobility and gross inconvenience.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - chriswales

I can’t beat the OP, but a 2003 Leon TDI on 100,000 miles with the original exhaust. Last year had an advisory on the MOT that the back box was about to fall off. Took a look and it was the heat shield and I pulled off what was left of it. Just had another MOT and there was no mention of the exhaust. Actually a straight pass with no advisories, not bad for a 13 year old car.

Our 2007 Mazda 1.8 petrol failed its MOT yesterday and is having a replacement exhaust fitted today. I guess you win some and you lose some!

But this is the first exhaust I’ve had to replace since the mid 90s. I think the quality of exhausts have changed since catalytic converters were introduced. My first couple of cars were pre-cat and needed new exhausts before they were five years old.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - Chris M

2004 1.8 petrol CMax 94,000 miles. Exhaust is all original and the exterior still looks ok with no flaky bits.

in the sixties-you were lucky if a Mini exhaust lasted more than one winter . They must have been made of tin.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - ED731PDH

Having had a couple of Rover TDs over the years (200 and 25) I found that the exhaust from the engine to the rear axle lasted with little or no corrosion. What used to go was the back box, that section would swan neck over the rear axle and the spray from the drivers side rear would always rot the weld where the 2" pipe went into the silencer. I'd be changing the box every2 or so years due to corrosion. Not too onerous to change out, could be done from the roadside with no pit, jacked up with the rear wheel off, but getting the new 2" swan neck over the rear axle was a b*****.

Any - Oldest original exhaust? - Steveieb

One of my work colleagues had a winter and summer exhaust for his renault 16. once the winter ws over he removed the exhaust and sprayed oil inside to counter the rust. he then fitted the summer one.

when the floor rotted out he mixed up a gallon of araldite and poured it into the remaining parts of the floor!

One of my work colleagues had a winter and summer exhaust for his renault 16. once the winter ws over he removed the exhaust and sprayed oil inside to counter the rust. he then fitted the summer one.

when the floor rotted out he mixed up a gallon of araldite and poured it into the remaining parts of the floor!

This chap must have been a seriously splendid fellow!