What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - DirtyDieselDogg

The current low Fuel prices must be hurting the Government,s revenue stream sommat bad

Is this why "they" are gonna levy the £140.00/year car/road Tax soon

cheers

M

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - skidpan

The £140 a year was announced back in June in their first budget after the general election which was way before the petrol price dropped.

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - jc2

He may be getting less VAT but surely the fuel tax is still the same plus more fuel is being sold.He must be laughing not squealing!

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - martint123

How many bets he wacks the fuel escalator up?

Also www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/11376849/Fuel-duty-ri...l

Mr Osborne scrapped the fuel duty escalator, which meant petrol taxes rising by 1p a litre above inflation, in 2011, but said he would restore it if the price of a barrel fell below 75 US dollars.

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - Bromptonaut

I wonder if he will though. There's also, given austerity etc, a perfectly good case for doing that AND sticking another 10p on as a 'windfall tax'.

If something of that magnitude affected welfare claimants he'd be over it like a rash. However as most voters drive he's not likely to.

EDIT: There's also a growing realisation that the gain to consuming nations isn't all win. Loss of income to producer nations results in (a) possible political instability (b) problems in the bond market as producer nations borrow to keep afloat (c) Middle Eastern wealth funds drying up with loss of investent in western business.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 14/01/2016 at 11:31

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - slkfanboy

I am sure if he can see an easy target he will take it, and fuel is an easy target!

Loss of VAT income is a major factor on the inflation/deflation figures and there is room for a hike on these grounds alone with most things getting cheaper

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - xtrailman

A lot of pension increases are based on the CPI, mine on the RIP, so it always suits the government to have low inflation in January.

It keeps rises low while they enjoy another approx 11% increase.

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - RT

A lot of pension increases are based on the CPI, mine on the RIP, so it always suits the government to have low inflation in January.

It keeps rises low while they enjoy another approx 11% increase.

State pensions are based on the September figures from the previous year - the inflation rate has dropped a lot since then !!!

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - SteVee

I'd agree with Bromptonaut's post - that it's not all win.

The Scots must be somewhat pleased that they didn't vote for independence, especially if the oil price crashes to $10/barrel. The UK is still an oil producer in this mad market. This might be good for the consumer in the short term, but I can't help thinking there's going to be a shock rise in the near future.

The Scots must be somewhat pleased that they didn't vote for independence, especially if the oil price crashes to $10/barrel. The UK is still an oil producer in this mad market. This might be good for the consumer in the short term, but I can't help thinking there's going to be a shock rise in the near future.

But of course, to the SNP the loss of revenue from North Sea oil during this price slump is a Westminster problem - it's only "Scotland's oil" if the oil price is high !!!

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - groaver

But of course, to the SNP the loss of revenue from North Sea oil during this price slump is a Westminster problem - it's only "Scotland's oil" if the oil price is high !!!

Jeez, little Englander much?

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - xtrailman

Some private pension rises, mine and others are calculated from the January figures.

Some private pension rises, mine and others are calculated from the January figures.

So nothing to do with the government.

Well yes as the pension scheme that our local council runs or ran, has to be paid for, they rely on a lot of funds from government to keep local services going.

How low can it go? - The Chancellor must fair be squealing! at the lost - jamie745

I doubt it's making much difference to the Chancellor as the fuel duty is a fixed amount per litre. The only thing which will reduce is the VAT take from fuel sales, which is relatively minor in comparison - and they charge VAT on the duty itself anyway so I won't be playing any violins for them.

I think the Government rakes in something like £25billion from fuel duty a year and that won't change. Even if oil got so cheap it was free and the retailer did it for nothing, the stuff would still cost at least 70p a litre.