What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - auris driver
In September 2015 we bought an i20 from Bristol Street Motors in Nottingham. We got a good deal and we were pleased with the car initially. During the last couple of months however the air conditioning has been gradually failing. Reassured by their 5 year warranty we booked the car in to have it checked. The car has been service by Hyundai from purchase so was not expecting issues.

We have been told that the regassing of the air conditioning unit which is apparently 10% down on gas is a wear and tear item despite the car being only 15 months old!!. When we challenged their stance the dealer contacted Hyundai and were advised that the air con gas is only warrantied for 6 months. This is unbelievable. We await a possible good will gesture from the garage but whatever the outcome we will sell the vehicle and buy a Toyota or Honda. Shame on you Hyundai
Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - alan1302

It is a wear and tear item though - doubt Honda or Toyota would say any different to you.

The air con needs to be used on a regular basis to ensure no gas loss.

Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - daveyjp

Its a little early to be blaming Hyundai for anything.

November and December aren't the height of summer, so it is difficult to know if aircon is becoming ineffectual. In colder weather the compressor will be disengaged anyway.

10% drop means very little as you have no idea if it was full when the car was new.

I would leave it until spring/summer. Then if there is a problem it can go in for a proper investigation which usually means refilling and using a trace dye to identify any leaks.

Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - 72 dudes

All the same you wouldn't expect it to need a re-gas after 15 months.

You can get this done for between £40 and £50 at places like ATS, or find an independent garage nearby with the right kit.

I'm surprised the Hyundai dealer didn't just do it as a goodwill gesture, but more worrying, I wouldn't expect a 10% loss of gas to affect the aircon's performance that much.

Any place which re-gases for you should also perform a leak test, so if you find it's the aircon compressor or the radiator which are faulty, these items would be covered under the Hyundai warranty.

I had my 2007 Mercedes A Class re-gassed by ATS last April after it stopped blowing cold, payed £39.99 I think. After a few days it was blowing ambient again. Took it to Merc dealer (who wanted £150 for a re-gas!) and they found a tiny hole in the compressor/radiator. Replaced and re-gassed free of charge under the Mercedes used car warranty.

So don't give up with Hyundai. As said above, no manufacturer would cover a re-gas as a warranty item, but try and find out why it has stopped blowing cold in such a short time.

Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - Auristocrat

Re-gassing of the air conditioning IS a wear and tear, so won't be covered for the full five years under the Hyundai nor the Toyota warranty, nor for the full three years of the Honda warranty.

Using the air conditioning at least once every week, ensures the seals within the system are lubricated and reduces the potential for losing gas. Using the air con in conjunction with the heater, makes for easier and more efficient demisting of windows - so year round use is perfectly feasible.

We have found the Hyundai warranty to be quite good - having had the clutch replaced under warranty on our 2012 i20 when it was 2 years 10 months old (15,000 plus miles). We bought a new i20 in July.

You say you bought the car in September 2015 - was it new? If so then it should still be within the six months warranty coverage that Hyundai provide for air conditioning gas.

Edited by Auristocrat on 12/01/2016 at 13:20

Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - 72 dudes

You say you bought the car in September 2015 - was it new? If so then it should still be within the six months warranty coverage that Hyundai provide for air conditioning gas.

No, OP states it is now 15 months old.

Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - skidpan

Kia, who are Hyundai's sister company cover air con gas for 24 months from registration, would be very surprised if Hyundai is any different. Suggest you contact Hyundai customer services, the dealer may well just be trying it on.

Hyundai i20 - Hyundai Warranty - Gordon17

The Hyundai warranty specifically excludes -

"The replacement of lubricants, fluids or refrigerant other than as a direct consequence of a warrantable repair."