What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus MK1 - Focus MK1 Serious electrical problems - collateral

I've had a number of electrical issues since last year. I've taken it to a garage but they couldn't find the issue. So a list of the issues:

1. Battery light comes on after 25-30 seconds.
2. Front passenger central locking doesn't work. If it is unlocked, global unlocking doesn't work (all locks close and then open, like if you tried to lock the car when a door was open). Only when it is locked does global locking/unlocking work with the keyfob.
3. Issues with ignition (car had poor idle, replaced ignition coil - not sure if it was due to electrics).
4. Starting issues (the biggest problem). When I try to start the car all electrics shut off. I have to open and close the drivers door several times before the car will actually start and even then it sounds like the car might not start. This happens both after leaving the car overnight and if I switch it off and turn it on after a while (so when the cars still hot).

5. This just started happening, engine power starts cutting out when I'm driving at low speed!

Attached video 1drv.ms/1QraVin

Edited by collateral on 15/12/2015 at 22:43

Ford Focus MK1 - Focus MK1 Serious electrical problems - Big John

Alternator failed and battery now low?

What is the battery voltage? :-

1) Without the engine running

2) With the engine running

Replaced battery, old battery was about 13V

New battery is around the same, goes upto 14V when engines running.

Will check again tomorrow with definite figures.

Ford Focus MK1 - Focus MK1 Serious electrical problems - elekie&a/c doctor

You may have more than one problem here,but looking at your video ,it is possible there may be an earth connection fault.Check the main battery leads and also the earth branch lead where it bolts to the body/inner wing.There are also 2 main earth points down on each of the front door sills by both A pillars,below the plastic trims.May be worth taking a look here.

Right, just checked. 12.6V when engine is off, 13.4V whilst idling.

Ford Focus MK1 - Focus MK1 Serious electrical problems - John F

Interesting. Could it be something to do with chafed wires by the door hinge?

Also, found this.....

www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/70744-focus-mk.../

Ford Focus MK1 - Focus MK1 Serious electrical problems - John F

Any chance of an update, please?

The battery wire kept coming loose so the car would fail to start, shutting the door moved it evr-so-slightly so that it would get enough contact for the current to flow. As for the other problems, I havent had time to check them out but I suspect that the nearside passenger lock has water in it.

Ford Focus MK1 - Focus MK1 Serious electrical problems - Peter.N.

You should have about 14.4 volts with the engine idling, sonds as though your alternator is faulty.