Ford C-MAX - ford cmax only 2 years old from new, clutch gone - deeley

Hi, I've found these pages via google and also watched you on don't get done get Dom.

My cmax is 2 years old, 63 plate. I had it from new. It's done 16k, and in the last three weeks the eco light has come on (meaning it has switched off the autostart at lights function by itself).

Next, on a family drive to cornwall, it wouldnt allow the cruise control to be activated above 50mph, and kept cancelling it.

Then the car appeared to lose power moving from 20-30, 30-40, 40-50mph. Overrevving would be shown on guage, but the car itself felt like it was losing power. Both myself and husband drove it over next few days and it got worse. Garage said couldn't see it til scheduled service today. Apparently man who came to collect from my work could barely pull out on roundabout.

cut to the lunchtime dreaded phonecall. CAn we drop the gearbox (instantly costing money). we are pretty sure its the clutch and that it won't be covered as it will show "abuse". Oh, and they reckon at least £700+.

I'm no boy racer! Been driving 23 years, never had a clutch go, don't ride the clutch. My last car also a cmax from same garage, no problems.

Where do I go next? Advice please.

Not afraid of the battle as I'm not parting with my hard earned money easily.

All advice welcomed. thank you in advance.

Edited by deeley on 13/11/2015 at 19:36

Ford C-MAX - ford cmax only 2 years old from new, clutch gone - Wackyracer

It is a know fault and should be coved under warranty, It is caused by a faulty slave cylinder that does not release pressure from the pressure plate and causes the clutch to slip.

It is covered here www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/62762/clutch-fai...x

Ford C-MAX - ford cmax only 2 years old from new, clutch gone - RobJP

As wackyracer has said. Point out to them that you have done some research, and the slave cylinder is a known weak point. If they do the job and insist it must be the clutch that has failed, INSIST that they supply you with ALL parts taken off the vehicle, and you will be getting an independent inspection carried out, and if billed by them for work that should have been covered by warranty you will be claiming it back off them, along with a complaint to Ford GB about their attempted fraud.

Then sit back and watch them squirm.

Ford C-MAX - ford cmax only 2 years old from new, clutch gone - deeley

Well, today the garage have rung and said it's not covered. They say fly wheel and clutch gone, from driver abuse.

They sent photos to ford who rejected it as warranty claim.

£1k bill

which I'm "paying in protest" and looking at next steps.

really really p***** off.

Ford C-MAX - ford cmax only 2 years old from new, clutch gone - RobJP

As I said, insist on having ALL of the parts. Make very sure they are aware that includes the slave cylinder parts.

Then take parts to an independent engineer, and get their written report (more expense). If they agree with you, then you can claim it all back from the dealership in SCC.