What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford mondeo 2.0 tdci - deisel engine smoking - geeljay

The engine, which has done 40k, has suddenly begun to emit smoke on acceleration, with occasional cloudy belch. The engine also seems as if it is 'hunting' on acceleration. Any clues of likely problems? Starts fine. runs generally fine. Have tried an addition of Redex, but this has not improved the problem. A new exhaust was fitted recently.

ford mondeo 2.0 tdci - deisel engine smoking - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

A new exhaust after 40K? Diesel exhausts usually last longer than that! The smoke problem almost sounds like the EGR valve sticking but I would have expected the engine management light to have come in at some point (and gone out again) and there would be a fault code for it. Or perhaps it's mucky injectors which could be fixed with a dose of proper (that means 'expensive') diesel additive, but the Millers and Wynns and Diesel Rhino will clean stuff out of the tank and pipes as well, and you may well have to fit a new fuel filter (which would be no bad thing). There have been a couple of discussions on this forum about adding a 200:1 shot of two-stroke oil when filling up, and many articles on the Internet about it. It seems that the fuel is missing something since they've taken the sulphur out of it and many people have said that the addition of a shot of 2-T reduces smoking and helps pass the MOT emission test. If there's a Morrisons near you, they sell the cheapest 2-T oil at £2 for a 500ml bottle = £4 per litre and the next cheapest is Asda at £5 for a litre bottle. Works for me.

ford mondeo 2.0 tdci - deisel engine smoking - unthrottled

Take off the plastic engine cover and inspect the intake pipe from the turbo and the EGR pipe for any sign of leaks.

Smoking on acceleration is much more likely to be due to a boost leak than duff injectors. If a leak is downstream of the MAF, then it won't be detected and a fault won't flag up.

ford mondeo 2.0 tdci - deisel engine smoking - geeljay

Many thanks for the prompt responses. Seems the best thing I can do is take it in to my Ford dealer. I am based in Devon, and not too blessed with garage facilities who are noted for their deisel engine expertise. Used to live in Brum, and was surrounded by good reliable top men. Spoiled for choice in those days.

ford mondeo 2.0 tdci - deisel engine smoking - Avant

Moved to Technical.

ford mondeo 2.0 tdci - deisel engine smoking - Peter.N.

Where abouts in Devon are you? There is a good diesel specialits in Honiton.