What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 1.2 (Manual) Gear Problems - Ian2012

Hi,

The car is just over 3 years old and run about 20000 miles, I had it for about 11 months. I noticed a few problems:

1. Sometimes, the reverse gear won't go in, have to depressing the clutch again for it to go in, but it doesn't happen all the time.

2. Selecting down 2nd gear from 3rd or 4th sometimes gets quite difficult, it's stiff and sometimes get stuck and have to put into neutral and try again.

3. When going up a (not so steep) slope in 3rd or 4th gear, it becomes quite noisy for a while, then quiet down. This happens every time.

The gear selection problems happen intermittenly. I took it to the Honda dealer where I bought the car from. They tried it and said could not reproduce the problems

Has anyone experienced the above problems? Are they technical faults? The dealer's technicans couldn't reproduce the problems. As the gear problems are intermitten, what can I do to get the problems diagnosed?

The car has another month to go on its warrenty, I will get the dealer to look at the problems again before the warrenty runs out. The dealer wrote to me recently to ask if I would extend the warrenty for another year for 360 pounds. Is it worth spending the money on that?

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 1.2 (Manual) Gear Problems - Peter.N.

Is the clutch disengaging properly, does it crunch when you try to put it into reverse or just won't go in, does the clutch disengage with the pedal near the floor? If the answer to all the above is no, I would suggest the problem lies with the linkage.

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 1.2 (Manual) Gear Problems - Ian2012

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot feel/hear a crunch when try to select the reverse gear. The gear just won't go in (I can feel it hasn't travelled far enough and if I try to life the clutch, can hear a spin noise). I have to depress the clutch again and then the reverse will go in. How do I find out if the clutch disengage properly? It happens sometimes, but not contantly, so hard to reproduce when I took it to the dealer. And I am also not sure if the problem with the reverse is in anyway associated with the 2nd gear selection problem described in my last message.

Ian

Honda Jazz - Honda Jazz 1.2 (Manual) Gear Problems - dieselnut

There is a bearing in the gearbox that breaks up & is mentioned in HJ's CBC guide www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/jazz-2008/?sec...d

I'm surprised the Honda dealer hasn't come across it before. If they don't diagnose the problem in the next month I would certainly take up the extended warranty.