What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - surfdriver13

Asf the price of fuel is on the rise again I wanted to let people know about a new dashboard fuel saver I call the 'Smooth Driver'. I made this simple prototype instrument at home and it works like a dream.( You could make one yourself), See it in action on youtube, where I have just posted a video showing how it performs with my Ford Focus. Just enter ' Mark11 Smooth Driver Fuel Saver ' into google or youtube.com,

I would be pleased to have any comments and can provide detail if required. Thanks

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - unthrottled

"Fuel consumption is fundamentally related to the forces of acceleration and braking"

I'll stop you right there. No it isn't. Clearly the goal of good economy relies on the preservation of momentum, but the instantaneous 'g' force is not relevant.

If I brake sharply-but avoid stopping, I will use less fuel than someone who brakes gently to a standstill.

The same goes for acceleration. Crawling away from the lights feels virtuous, but is actually selfish because fewer cars get through the lights which means more congestion and poorer consumption for everyone else. The energy required to accelerate a mass from rest to a given speed is essentially constant irrespective of the rate of acceleration. The engine is more efficient under load, but the amount of tyre slippage will increase.

The key is anticipation-which means looking at the road ahead and not at a 'g' meter. Sorry

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - surfdriver13

Fuel consumption is certainly related to acceleration and braking in the sense that once up to regimen it is important to maintain this by by anticipation and using the brake and accelerator sparingly. The accelerometer is not superfluous as you suggest. It sensitises the driver and develops an attitude of smooth driving. This why bus companies and other commercial transport operators are investing very strongly in sophisticated electronic digital accelerometers, to save money on their fuel bills. The awareness of cornering is all part of this approach.

There are various schools of thought on the acceleration from rest argumen and I personally go for a gentle seamless start of as It is consistant with the above culture. I also speak with the experience of using this approach for a couple of years now and seeing the reduction in my fuel bill. I suggest it also gives the driver more scope to react to unforseen events wthout jamming on the brakes.

You mention the effect on tyres and I can assure you any unnecessary g forces; braking acceleration, or cornering, will signifcately increase tyre wear. This is not an insignificant consideration.

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - Paul87

have personally found that accelerating hard or soft makes no or very little difference to my MPG. I would only annoy those behind me if I accelerated slowly. Like unthrottled said I get alot better MPG if I read the road ahead and adjuust my speed accordingly. Good idea, I just can’t see it making any real difference.

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - jamie745

So he's put a G-metre on a dashboard?

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - Paul87

He has.

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - jamie745

Wonder why Ford didn't think of it themselves.

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

They put a lot of other useless stuff on. And leave off useful things - like a spare wheel...

Ford Focus - New Dashbord Fuel Saver - Collos25

BMW have been fitting one for years ,Unthrottled wants to go back to drawing board total non sensical answer.