What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - Splatt

Apologies up front for my descriptions as I know very little about car engines.

I took my car (1.6 HDI focus estate) into the garage on Friday for a full service and MOT. Due to the miliage they also said it needed its timing belt changed which I agreed to. When I went to collect it was still in their workshop and they couldn't get it started. They said the fuel lines had become airlocked and that they didn't have the kit to sort it, but would fix it the next day.

I then got another call on the saturday to tell me that it wasn't air locking at all. They are now telling me that the oil pressure tensioner (if that makes sense to you) has let go and needs replacing. They're saying it just happened to fail whilst in their garage, and it could have failed at any time, and had nothing to do with the work they've done.

Does this even sound vaguely possible? To me it just sounds like they're inventing excuses now to make me pay. It's a Kwik-fit garage by the way.

Any thoughts?

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - 659FBE

Reply to thread header - yes.

Your last sentence speaks volumes. The engine is probably wrecked through having been mis-timed. The fuel system is not disturbed when doing this job.

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - Mr Fox

I wouldn't trust kwik Fit at all. Had plenty of bad experiences with them over the years, when I have HAD to use them due to the agreement between the vehicle leasing company and Kwik Fit for tyres.

Also its worth knowing that this particular engine can be wrecked if they don't follow the correct procedure for draining the oil.

Hope its OK, but I have no faith in kwik fit whatosever.

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - Peter D

" oil pressure tensioner" No such thing. Regards Peter

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - galileo

Never heard such nonsense - there is no such thing as an oil pressure tensioner. It sounds as if they have wrecked your engine through incompetence.

An independent Engineer's report may tell you exactly how, if you get nowhere with KwikFit branch or head office may have to go the Small Caims route.

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - quizman

I would never let Kwik fit touch my car engine. In an emergency I would possibly let them put a tyre on.

They will have knackered the engine, take it to a proper garage and then sue KF.

Edited by quizman on 18/02/2013 at 18:19

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - Cyd

# "oil pressure tensioner" - there is no such item on a car. You sure you got the description correct? If you did then utter BS.

# the fuel system lines are not disturbed at all when replacing a timing belt. Unless the fuel filter perhaps needs removing for access on this particular model? But even then this is a simple proceedure that should cause no issues.

Ask them to put the issues in writing (email would do for speed) and report back.

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - elekie&a/c doctor
This car is fitted with both a timing belt and a chain.So what have they attempted to replace?
Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - mark

Be careful here

It is possible that if you take your car elsewhere without an independent inspection they will claim any damage found occurred elsewhere.

You could have a cylinder head full of bent valves if they have mistimed it and tried to start it following a belt change, but one thing is indisputable; you would not have been able to drive the car there if that was the case and if it cannot be driven from there then there is only one place where the damage could have happened. and only one set of people that could have caused it. Once you move the car they can claim otherwise.

Also what age/mileage is the car? is the age/mileage consistent with recommendations for cambelt change or have they mislead you over this as well.

As has already been said by others what they have told you so far is B/S but if they have lied to you already what else will they lie about once you either take the car elsewhere, or if you ask them to fix it and trust what they tell needs doing and has been done.

Given it is likely they have already seriously damaged your engine I would think about your options and consequences very carefully before making any decisions.

As always

Mark

Edited by mark on 18/02/2013 at 21:29

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - carl233

Document everything, the time and date that it happend. Start writing this up now in case you forget. As already suggested get the car examined by an independent engineer with a written report and then take them to cleaners.

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - drogers

The same people once jacked my car up (tyre change job) by placing jack under the sump

This ruined the sump and all the retaining bolt hloes had to be rethreaded

I NEVER go in the place now

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - James Brown

Thanks for share.

Ford Focus - Is the garage lying to me? - boggles

As you say your car was having a full service, the fuel filter will probably have been changed. So there may well have been the air in the fuel line. If the engine was mis-timed after belt replacement, they could have been cranking it over, trying to purge air, and bashing all the valves. There are oil pressure tensioners, but only on chain cam engines, so that is a lie. Are you in AA or RAC or similar, because you need a professional in now to inspect the engine and advise you.